Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Djweaz
    Experienced
    • Apr 14 2016

Ickaber and DK are you able to see them from the original post and the second post that I put both into one post? Also I did find an actual question in this. In the diagram the wiring for the drivers side lights they have a color that each wire is to be but there looks to be an arrow beside it I'm not quite sure if it is or not. If it does have an arrow the second wire would be the Green W/ orange tracer and the first wire doesn't have a wire color. And that won't work that way
    Rob
    1959 Thunderbird J-Code
    Tbird registry

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Djweaz
      ...In the diagram the wiring for the drivers side lights they have a color that each wire is to be but there looks to be an arrow beside it I'm not quite sure if it is or not. If it does have an arrow the second wire would be the Green W/ orange tracer and the first wire doesn't have a wire color. And that won't work that way
      Does your car have backup lights? Some Squarebirds came without backup lights.

If you follow the first wire, the one with no color, you will discover it feeds the backup lights

The diagram shows, Green-Orange feeds the Left Hand stop/turn signal lamp. Also notice, there is a bullet connector shown for that wire at the LH lamp.

Wire colors can be read in two ways. Green-Orange can mean the wire is green with an orange trace OR the wire can be solid green with an orange connector. Pay close attention to the connector colors and this scheme will start to make sense to you. Post pictures, and let's see what you have. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Ickaber
        Apprentice
        • Mar 22 2013

Originally posted by Djweaz
        Ickaber and DK are you able to see them from the original post and the second post that I put both into one post?
        I was able to see all three yesterday before the change. I'm using Chrome.

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

I see the OP graphic now, and I'm using Chrome.

Comment

• Djweaz
            Experienced
            • Apr 14 2016

Thanks I will try this when I get home. I had all 4 tail lights as of when I left and started out having the far left light with a turn signal and the passenger inner with a turn signal I was able to get them fed so that now it's on both far side lights. I don't know if all 4 are supposed to light or not, also I do have one reverse light that is hooked up the drivers side only has the wires for it. While I'm out I'm going to hit the parts store and see if I can find one. For the drivers side. As of now I put that wire out of the way for now so that I can worry about it later. In doing the switching of the wires some times I get a super bright light and I unplug it because something is wrong with it or maybe it is plugged in as a brake light. Because as of. Ow I have no brakes. The last time I worked with it a couple of days ago I had one brake light and it was center drivers side.

Originally posted by simplyconnected
            Does your car have backup lights? Some Squarebirds came without backup lights.

If you follow the first wire, the one with no color, you will discover it feeds the backup lights

The diagram shows, Green-Orange feeds the Left Hand stop/turn signal lamp. Also notice, there is a bullet connector shown for that wire at the LH lamp.

Wire colors can be read in two ways. Green-Orange can mean the wire is green with an orange trace OR the wire can be solid green with an orange connector. Pay close attention to the connector colors and this scheme will start to make sense to you. Post pictures, and let's see what you have. - Dave
            Rob
            1959 Thunderbird J-Code
            Tbird registry

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

You have a classic grounding problem. Stretch a wire from your battery (NEG) to the lamp housings. Turn a signal on and dig your ground wire into the lamp housing that DOESN'T work. Make sure your lamps are not burned out, first.

You should see one outer turn signal on each side as the diagram shows. The inner lamps are also stop but not turn signals.

Use your ground 'test wire' to prove each lamp holder. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Djweaz
                Experienced
                • Apr 14 2016

Ok this is where I am tonight and came in on a triumph moment and knew that I better leave it alone until hopefully tomorrow. I have all 4 taillights working, I have both outer turn signals working and have outer brake lights working,I believe I can jumper them across to make them all work drivers side reverse light wasn't there I bought a new one but it was to small. The passenger reverse was lighting but stayed on as long as the tail lights were on.

So I could actually get it on the road if need be, but the steering ram is out and trying to get it down just a little bit more so I can get the whole cir-clip in the groove. I had to actually did out the oem blue seal no amount of pressure was bringing it or the furthest in seal.

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                You have a classic grounding problem. Stretch a wire from your battery (NEG) to the lamp housings. Turn a signal on and dig your ground wire into the lamp housing that DOESN'T work. Make sure your lamps are not burned out, first.

You should see one outer turn signal on each side as the diagram shows. The inner lamps are also stop but not turn signals.

Use your ground 'test wire' to prove each lamp holder. - Dave
                Rob
                1959 Thunderbird J-Code
                Tbird registry

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Do NOT jumper more turn signal lights. The flasher unit is designed to run one front lamp, one rear lamp and the dash lamp. Any more load will make the flasher run too fast and the directional switch in your steering column is not heavy duty.

Paint on trunk wires can be removed to reveal the colors so follow the wiring diagram to the letter.

Reverse lights are controlled by the neutral/reverse safety switch on the steering column. This makes sense because backup lights only shine IF your car came with that type of steering column switch as an 'extra-cost' option. Just because your lens is white means very little.

You mentioned nothing about your wire colors. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎