No announcement yet.

Disc brake 14" wheels?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disc brake 14" wheels?

First message on the board with my new to me 1960 T Bird hard top! I am currently ordering some brake lines for the bird to replace them all, but I am also looking at a disc brake setup up front. Are there any kits that fit a 14" wheel? I did some research but it seems they all require a 15" wheel.
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

Look for late model Ford Ranger plain steel 14" wheels in the wrecking yard...
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Disc brake 14" wheels?

Hi Dan, look for 14" rims from off of disk brake equipped Fords of the '70's like the Granada. I got all five of my rims off a Granada in a salvage yard. There is a ton of information available on rims, and converting to disk brakes for Paid Members of this Forum. Paid Membership is $20yr and payable through PayPal by clicking on the Donate to Site icon on the top right corner of this Forum. Paid Members receive a number of additional benefits that regular members do not. You will find what those additional benefits are by checking the Special Announcements Forum. We just added another benefit to it. Buying a Squarebird Continental Kit for $200 off the wholesale price of $1,695 for Paid Members only. The detailed information on doing this disk brake/dual MC/Dual power booster install is found in the Members Conference for Paid Members only, a Forum that only Paid Member can see...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Hi Dan

I have just finished installing disc brakes on my 1960 Thunderbird. I used the Scarebird brackets. And the parts list provided by Dave Dare. The parts list is on the T.R.L part of our site. I saved about 1K $ buying the parts as opposed to a kit price. I think using the Scarebird brackets is the best way to go. You can use your original spindles a plus for alignment and other things.

The rims were hard to find for me as I am in Idaho. But the 14" rims that will work, are out there you will have to find them. I found them from a person that supplies rims to the Spokane, WA and Coeur D' Alene, ID locality. This person's inventory was about 1,500 rims, he supplied all the tire shops with snow rims for snow tires. All the tire shops wanted to do was sell me new custom rims which I did not want.

My problem was with the brake line plumbing. That is where I spent most of my time with the retrofit. But it was well worth it as the car stops a **** of a lot better than it did before the change. If I can be of any help just send me a PM. The guys on the forum are the best with help.

Larry.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎