X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anders
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 19 2008

Heater motor

I have renovated my heater motor, a while ago, and thought it was time to put the stuff back. In doing so, I looked up The 1958 Air condition shop manual ( http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ShopManual.pdf ) and found something on page 6, that made me baffled. There is a drawing clearly showing 3 wires coming out from the motor. + - and earth. Now, I donīt know if I have made a mistake when I put my motor back or if the drawing is incorrect, but I only have 2 wires coming out of my motor. + and -.
    Can anyone out they have a check on your blower motor and see if you have 2 or 3 wires coming out of your motor?

All the best,
    //Anders
    sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

On my '60 there are 3. Orange (Fast), Red (Slow), and Black (Ground). The 3 wires are necessary for the 2 speed fan (and my car did not come with A/C). If you have only 2 wires maybe the motor was replaced before you bought the car? Did you have both fan speeds before?

Eric
    Last edited by DKheld; February 1, 2012, 06:37 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

Thatīs a good question.... Didnīt realy play with it much, as the AC didnīt work.

I am VERY sure that the Red & Black wires is back ( but new ) on the right place in the motor. But I canīt even remember see any Orange when I took it apart

Does this mean I need to get another motor, or can I connect a wire somewhere for the Orange? And if so, where?

Comment

• Dakota Boy
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 30 2009

This little detail is fresh in my mind, because I was getting my heat/defrost stuff all working just a few months ago.

Two-wire motor means you only have one fan "speed".

I hooked mine up to the "High" side on the fan switch; orange wire.

I doubt it matters wether you use the orange or red wire. The motor has one speed.

The three-wire motors seem to be as rare as chickens' teeth these days.
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

You should have 2 wires coming out of the firewall from the switch (Orange and Red) and the black from the motor connects to the firewall itself as a ground. (that's a good pic in the A/C manual on page 6)

I agree with Greg - if you have only one "hot" wire on the motor it is most likely a single speed motor - so just connect it to the Orange wire (or if it is missing just connect it to the red wire).

Eric

Comment

• partsetal
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 4 2005

At first I htought the slightly bigger motor with the 3 wires (plus ground) was correct for A/C in all three years. Then I saw the smaller two wire motors being used. and thought the resistor under the fan housing was what regulated the fan speed. What is correct?
            Carl

Comment

• Anders
              Super-Experienced
              • Jan 19 2008

I have some kind of "double connector" ( female ) housing the red and orange from the car. Then, there is two other wires that goes to the underside of the blower housing, holding something that looks like a resistor or similar on the inside.
              Last edited by Anders; February 1, 2012, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 30 2009

Perhaps the "double connector" is just a splice of some sort, so the motor runs no matter what speed is selected at the switch.

Sooner or later SimplyConnected will reply, and put this matter to rest.

Isnt it a bit late over there in Sweden right now?!!!?

Comment

• DKheld
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Aug 27 2008

Ooops.

Forgot the A/C cars are wired differently and the wires from the switch go to the control box on the evaporator then over to the resistor and blower. Guess the A/C style blower motors could be different as well.

Maybe someone with an A/C car will chime in.

Eric

Comment

• Anders
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
                    Perhaps the "double connector" is just a splice of some sort, so the motor runs no matter what speed is selected at the switch.

Sooner or later SimplyConnected will reply, and put this matter to rest.

Isnt it a bit late over there in Sweden right now?!!!?
                    The double connector is going to two different places. One is Orange and the other red.

He,he.. Yes. After 02:00 in the middle of the night. Ned to go to bed. Up in 4 hours again..

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 30 2009

Yikes.

Sounds like a rats' nest has been uncovered.

I have a blower motor and housing from a non-A/C car.

Comment

• Anders
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jan 19 2008

Strangely enough, but I have something called " Squarebird Illustrated Parts Catalogue" and the drawing there ( looks like old Ford original illustrations ) shows the blower motor with only 2 wires. And that illustration is shows the whole AC configuration

Last hope goes to SimplyConnected....

Comment

• Howard Prout
                          Experienced
                          • Feb 11 2009

Attached is a section of the wiring diagram I have for a '59, with or without AC.

FWIW, my blower had a single speed until one day I looked at the wiring and found that the red and orange wires had been connected to the blower motor through a four way connector - two red and two orange wires. I then seperated them into two seperate circuits and now I have a two speed blower. What the diagram doesn't show is the resistor block on the bottom of the plenum. Curiosity got the best of me so I had a look at how mine is wired. As expected, the red wire goes from the switch to the resistor in the plenum and then to the blower motor - low voltage, low speed. The orange wire goes directly to the blower motor - high voltage, high speed.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Howard Prout; February 2, 2012, 07:03 PM. Reason: revision after having a peek
                          sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

My 6-volt Customline has a two-speed motor with three wires. One is short and grounds to the starter solenoid mounting bolt.

That means it has two separate windings inside the motor, one for HI, one for LO. These motors are rare.

My '59 also has a similar setup but for 12-volts. Again, rare.

I saw the diagrams and wondered how many folks would see them as a contradiction. No, they are absolutely correct (for each application). On the Fan Switch; H=HI, L=LO, B=Battery.

In 1960, Ford started using resistors on fan motors. That way, (cheaper) motors only need one winding. But, where do you put the resistor? When we were young and dumb, we put it just below the fan duct in the engine bay. Today we put it INSIDE the duct, that way the resistors can be smaller, they cannot get too hot because air is constantly blowing, and they should last longer. Today, we tap two resistors in series; LO, MED, (and HI gets the full 12-volts with no resistor).

If you look for a fan motor today, they usually have only two wires. Really, that's all you need to get one, two, or three speeds using a resistor.

Consider the following drawing (typical of early Ford blower motors). The A/C couldn't care less if the fan motor is on or not because it gets control from the (separate) thermostatic switch. (To call it 'A/C Blower Switch' is wrong. This is your fan switch.)

Also note, this motor has three wires, one is a ground. The dash switch either energizes Red (which energizes the top field winding) or Orange (which energizes the bottom Field winding). Both fields have different numbers of turns which produce more/less magnetism for different speeds. - Dave

Sorry Howard, I didn't see your post before I put mine up. You're absolutely correct (as usual). - Dave
                            Last edited by simplyconnected; February 2, 2012, 04:15 PM.
                            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jun 30 2009

Interesting stuff here. I'd like to have my Low fan speed working too.

Now for the $100 question: Where can we get one of these resistors to put in-line on the red wire?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎