No announcement yet.

Tri Power Setup

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KULTULZ

I really appreciate your time on these. I am trying to figure out how to actuate the kickdown, again using a cable (for clean appearance). My thought is to have a cable run on the passenger side of the carbs to be initiated properly (reverse pull). Have you given much thought as how to design the kickdown?

Comment

are you running a 3X2 also? What Trans do you have?

I agree, if we were to fabricate something it would also have to be on the Passenger side. I have seen a Lokar setup that removes the tripower linkage altogether and routes the throttle and kickdown from the front passenger side of the car. I will try to locate it today and attach the link.

I think the cable setup looks clean, removes a lot of bulky rods and brackets, although I have seen a setup or two with rods that look real nice.

Comment

• fomoco59
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 10 2005

John Draxler posted this on the Digest, in case someone wants one. He may have info on kickdowns.

Posted by: "John Draxler" jdrax@tds.net piezy
        Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:08 am (PDT)
        Hi guys
        I found a friend of mine without email has 2 complete tripower setups
        they have been rebuilt by Joe B. who is the pro on these things
        they are both show ready
        contact him if interested
        Terry at 217-473-1989 or 217-245-5468
        tell him I sent you
        +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        John R. Draxler Thunderbird Ranch
        7158 Co. Rd. B, Pittsville, WI 54466
        ph 715-884-6546 fax 715-884-6720
        sigpic
        Mike Lemmon
        '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

here is the link to the Lokar setup:

Thanks for the info fomoco, that looks like a good source. I know the challenging part of all this is that the tripower was not an option for 58-60 birds, so a lot of the brackets and connectors did not exist.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by skyd

are you running a 3X2 also? What Trans do you have?

I agree, if we were to fabricate something it would also have to be on the Passenger side. I have seen a Lokar setup that removes the tripower linkage altogether and routes the throttle and kickdown from the front passenger side of the car. I will try to locate it today and attach the link.

I think the cable setup looks clean, removes a lot of bulky rods and brackets, although I have seen a setup or two with rods that look real nice.
            No. A fellow at another board is modifying a 1966 PARKLANE, the problem being that most 3X2 setups were for STD. TRANS. The kits were available over the counter (complete 3X2 changeover kits for either trans type) for automatics but cannot find the included instruction sheet that would give linkage details.

The LOKAR setup-

-appears to be for installations with forward mounted fuel bowls. It is a clean design though.

If one could modify such an arrangement to work on the opposite side, it would be one clean installation. The throttle cable would have to be mounted @ the bottom of the fuel throttle shaft lever and the kickdown @ the top to work backwards. Have a feature that would allow the adjustment of the passing gear cut-in point. It seems to me a specially custom made mounting bracket would do the trick. One could then retain either the OEM linkage or the linkage style shown (LOKAR) with Heim Joints.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Here is the referring URL to the other poster having the same problem. I was hoping to find a solution for him. If you design a clean changeover, I would think it would be worth $ to many.

Comment

• KULTULZ

BIRDS used a bellcrank at the rear of the intake manifold to operate fuel and trans-

(Shown on FM thread referred to above)

Could this be modified for your setup?

Comment

ok, speaking out loud(not having thought this out yet)

What if I drilled a hole in the linkage bracket, below the spring hole and connected the kickdown cable there. In theory that should work?

I'm gonna think about this for a minute.

Comment

• KULTULZ

It will work. But you have to have the cable housing fixed so as to be able to adjust the kickdown point.

Did you upgrade to a C6?

Comment

yea, the bracket I have for throttle has a part for the kickdown, I just didn't install it.

I did, went to a c6 about 3-4 years ago when I redid the engine. I went with a TCI Tranny and surprisingly, it works great, real strong and powerful.

Comment

• KULTULZ

If you decide to modify it in the fashion described, please post the results in this thread if possible.

GOOD LUCK!

Comment

no problem, I will definitely post when I get it worked out.

Comment

• byersmtrco
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Sep 28 2004

Wow !!! That's nice !! Bet she scoots too . . .
                            Nya nya nya !!

Comment

Thank you... Yea she definitely flies now.

I think this is the strongest she has ever been. I am surprised this upgrade made that much of a difference.

The shift points are much higher, smoother and stronger. Still can't smoke the tires, but once I hit about 2500 - 3000 rpm she takes off and I mean gone.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎