Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The Gabriel catalog shows a G63506 as their alternative to the Monroe 37191. The specs look about the same. It doesn't look like RockAuto carries them.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

This is good info. I've been wanting to replace my old shocks since I know they seem to be old Gabriels from the 80's. Order has been placed.
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• DKheld
        Super-Experienced
        • Aug 27 2008

Hopefully Tim Daleo (project Snowbird) won't mind me "borrowing" a few pics of his car.

The shocks on his car would be nice to find. They included a "helper" spring. Probably a style made for towing that are no longer available. Also looks like maybe an extra leaf was added? because of the additional bracket on the leaf springs.

Notice how his car sits with the rear fender just about the top of the hubcap.

Mine sits a little lower with the fender coming to about the top of the "rays" on the hubcap (and it seems mine sits pretty high compared to most).

Just an observation.....
        Eric

Comment

• Anders
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 19 2008

If I like to change shocks, and want " the smooth & soft Cadillac cruise feeling ", what shocks should I look for? Brand and part number please. She already sits low and nice, but fresh dampers can only be good right? Ruth is a lady, and not a racer. For that, I have my Volvo S60 Polestar
          sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

Shocks don't determine ride height.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

In part I agree, Steve. Shock absorbers should not determine ride height. Springs do.
              What about Load Leveler or Air Shocks? They certainly determine ride height because they add spring to the suspension.

Unless you use your car to haul phone books in the trunk, stay away from Air Shocks. Buy a pair of good leaf springs and a pair of premium (heavy duty) shocks that come with a warranty.

Anders, all the vendors carry 'classic ride' shock absorbers. They are extremely mushy and in my opinion, they don't last long. We are not looking for a stiff ride, but one that keeps the wheels on the ground and stops the car body from bouncing. In other words, the shock absorber smooths out a washboard road or railroad tracks. A quality shock should last a long time and include a good warranty.

I will order a set for my '55. The '59 already has a new set. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• toddgilroy
                Experienced
                • Aug 30 2014

If Monroe is discontinuing 37191, it looks like 37197 would be another alternative. Specs are nearly identical (just 1/8 inch difference in lengths) and the stems are M10 vs. 3/8 inch. This shock was used on Land Rover Discovery through 1999.
                Todd Gilroy
                1960 Tbird Convertible
                Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

I don't mind saying, I'm getting fed up with rockauto.com. Since I called them, they raised the price on our shocks by a dollar each. Furthermore, their 5% discount doesn't mean stink if I can buy the same items WITH TAX cheaper at Amazon.com.

Does it make sense that rockauto charges $16 shipping when Amazon charges NINE? <--that beats RA's discount including Michigan's 4% sales tax. You don't need to guess who gets my order.

Sorry Rockauto, I would like to order from a member who treats us right but your prices aren't doing me any favors. - Dave
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tbird1044
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jul 31 2012

I tried to order 4 different items from RA and each item shipped from a different location. By the time I was ready to check out, my S/H charges exceeded the cost of the items. Need to say, I cancelled the order before I completed it.
                    Nyles

Comment

• Yadkin
                      Banned
                      • Aug 11 2012

I agree Dave, I'd never install load leveler shocks, since they put a load in a place it wasn't designed. Better to put in different springs or better yet, if you have coils, an adjustable air suspension.

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Tbird1044
                        I tried to order 4 different items from RA and each item shipped from a different location. By the time I was ready to check out, my S/H charges exceeded the cost of the items. Need to say, I cancelled the order before I completed it.
                        Nyles
                        That's the one frustrating thing about RockAuto. By the time you pick alternate parts that all ship from the same location you wind up paying about the same amount you can get them for at Autozone or Advance Auto.

John
                        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• scumdog
                          Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Tbird1044
                          Nyles
                          Been burned that way myself, imagine the freight cost to this country!

I now use a different system
                          A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• toddgilroy
                            Experienced
                            • Aug 30 2014

I realize what you pay all depends on what you put in the cart, but I paid Rock Auto $97.52 for all 4 shocks delivered to my front door. Same items shipped by O'Reilly's would have been $145.48.

I guess it just shows we always need to shop around at multiple vendors if we want to find the best prices.
                            Todd Gilroy
                            1960 Tbird Convertible
                            Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                              Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

It would appear that we all need to do our homework when ordering. Thankfully we have several suppliers to order from
                              Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                              Thunderbird Registry
                              58HT #33317
                              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Daleo56
                                Experienced
                                • Dec 27 2014

There was an old Uhaul paper tag attached the the brake light wiring in the trunk when I pulled the boards out Tuesday. I do not see any remnants of a frame hitch but there are two bends in the rear bumper that I believe were for some sort of bumper hitch.

I really like the stance of my 60' and I hope that those shocks are not what is keeping it at that height. I am going to try some basic Monroe shocks. I know the original post is almost a year old but finding rear shocks for the 60' only seems to have a few options.

Tim

Originally posted by DKheld
                                Hopefully Tim Daleo (project Snowbird) won't mind me "borrowing" a few pics of his car.

The shocks on his car would be nice to find. They included a "helper" spring. Probably a style made for towing that are no longer available. Also looks like maybe an extra leaf was added? because of the additional bracket on the leaf springs.

Notice how his car sits with the rear fender just about the top of the hubcap.

Mine sits a little lower with the fender coming to about the top of the "rays" on the hubcap (and it seems mine sits pretty high compared to most).

Just an observation.....
                                Eric
                                Tim Daleo
                                Azusa, California
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/daleo1/albums

Thunderbird Registry Entry

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎