X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rock&Roll Firebird
    Experienced
    • Jun 20 2012

Ray:
    I guess I'll order the cover there, the price is reasonable. I only have to decide which version. But I think, I will be garaging the Bird with the top up, seems safer to me.

Comment

• KULTULZ

I Was Carousing With My Browser And...

Originally posted by YellowRose

As for color of the rims, it is my understanding that OEM rims were black, not color coded to the car. I had mine painted to match my body color.

Beauty rings were not OEM that I know of. It was something I added to set off the wheels.

Also, as far as I know, center or dog dish hubcaps were not OEM on Squarebirds, but I am not sure.
      1958 Info From- http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird...equipment.html

4 Ford Hub Caps
      http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird...equipment.html

NOTE: The white painted wheels shown on this example are not correct.
      All 1958 Ford Thunderbirds should have black painted wheels.

1959 Info
      From- http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird...equipment.html

1960 Info From- http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird...equipment.html

Wheel Ring Trim Kit—Set of 4) (C0AZ-1211-A; Only for cars without
      full wheel cover option) (Researching Price)

NOTE- PN Prefix C0AZ Indicates Trim Ring Option available for FORD so the option must have been available across the board (FORD-MERC-BIRD)

Also, center caps must have been offered as BASE TRIM. See no reference to COLOR KEYED WHEELS.

Much more info available @ AUTOMOTIVE MILEPOSTS. Hopes this helps someone...
      Last edited by Guest; July 17, 2012, 06:33 AM.

Comment

I can't comment on covers for Squarebirds but I use a similar fleece-lined cover on my 62 Vauxhall and it has been great. It takes a little more time to put on due to the extra bulk but I found it to be superior to the thinner covers. I've had no scratching or wear on the paint after two years.

Mark

Comment

• dgs
          Super-Experienced
          • Feb 13 2003

I'm just jealous of his beautiful red leather seats. I wish mine were that good.

I'm curious, are the white piping original for a '59? My '60 is all red.
          DGS (aka salguod)
          1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
          www.salguod.net

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
            Experienced
            • Jun 20 2012

Oil level (leakage)

Hey fellow t-birders!

my bird arrived just last week and yesterday I went to check her to the warehouse for the very first time. She looks awesome, can't wait to drive her for the very first time…

I have a small thing to solve though. I noticed there is a fair oil leakage under the car. I checked with the seller as he was reselling the Bird from some old lady and he claimed that he changed the oil (that matches, the oil in the engine is brand new and clear) and up filled the tranny oil. I checked the oil level and here might be something to explore - I'm no sure how to check the oil level on the square birds (please advise) but when I checked the 'oil level wire' with the engine off the level was way over the max. border (about 2 inches more over the 'max' on the wire). So this is what I need to know:

a) not sure how the oil level on square birds needs to be measured - either with the engine off or with the ingine idling?
            b) not sure when the engine or tranny is 'over oiled', if that could be a reason of oil leakage
            c) not sure if 'over oiled' engine could do any harm to the engine

Ofcourse if the engine turns to be over oiled, I can take some of the oil out. I just need to be sure now, before driving the bird to my garage, if even for the first trip to the garage, running the over oiled engine can do any harm to it.

Thank you for any advice on this.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Jiri, engine oil should be checked with the engine OFF and the car level. Simply pull out the dipstick, wipe it off, return it all the way down the tube, and pull it out again. Look at the level and the marks on the dipstick.

Transmission fluid should be checked with the engine running and warm, the car level, and the gear in PARK. Same as above, pull the dipstick, wipe it off, then push it all the way down the tube. Pull it out and read the level on the dipstick. Also, read the writing on the dipstick.

If your engine is over-filled (over a quart) oil may leak. Some folks intentionally overfill by about a half quart or so. They do this because when RPM's are high for an extended time, more than a quart of oil will hang at the top of the engine, causing the oil light to flicker (like around turns). If you do normal driving, this should not be an issue and you should go by the dipstick markings. - Dave
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                Experienced
                • Jun 20 2012

simplyconnected:
                Thanks Dave for your rapid reply - the information is very valuable and my concerns are minimal now. Even though I had my thinking the same way (as the way of measuring is very similar to nowadays cars), you never know when you're a newbie to a 60 yrs old car . I'll try to take a picture of the oil level on the dipstick next time I'll be checking her and put it over here to see what you migh comment to it...

Comment

• Astrowing
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 22 2009

Also, always check for the smell of gas in the oil when you check it (with the car level as previously stated). An overfilled level may be indicative of a float that is not shutting off, a fuel pump diaphram failure, or a gas overpressurization issue in the tank. I haven't had this problem with my Squarebird, but have with my '61 truck. It is not fun finding you have a couple of quarts of gas in the crankcase. Always turn off the tank gas valve on your motorcycle, ATV, or tractor for the same reason when you shut them off.
                  sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                    Experienced
                    • Jun 20 2012

Power steering?

So, here we go with my very first hands-on technical questions on the way of rebuilding my very fresh '59 TBird (please be patient with my super-basic kind of questions - they'll stop when I get my just ordered repair and shop manuals).

On the pictures below is an expansion tank (empty, I know).
                    a) do I get it right it's the power steering?
                    b) is the gasket too loose and needs to be replaced or there is some special way of mounting it?
                    c) is it ok to use the fluid for present cars or it has to be some special one?

Thanks.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yes, it's the power steering pump. The gasket should fit in the lid, it's way too loose. If you plan on rebuilding it the kit comes with all new gaskets. They usually leak from the seal around the pump shaft. I recommend using Type F transmission fluid. That's what the factory used. If it's not leaking and you don't want to spring for the whole kit you may be able to shrink the gasket back to size. Clean all the fluid off of it and let it get cold.

John
                      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                        Experienced
                        • Jun 20 2012

Door keys?

Another one, I got only the ignition key with the car. Is it possible to create the keys from the locks at locksmith and if so, is it possible to remove the lock cylinder from the door without the key? Or I need to pay $65 for the new door lock kit instead?

Thanks.

Comment

• jopizz
                          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm not sure if a locksmith will be able to make keys just with the lock cylinder. The door lock cylinders come out by removing the locking fork behind the weatherstripping on the edge of the door even with the cylinder. You'll have to peel back the weatherstripping a little to see it.

John
                          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Jiri Needs Your Advice

Jiri, that ignition key should also unlock your doors. On mine it is the key with a square head on it. The key with the round head that I have unlocks only the trunk. If you do not have that key, you can't unlock the trunk from the outside. You would have to take out the back seat, and the back seat back rest, and get to the lock with a longggg series of extension rods to unbolt the lock. This procedure has been covered in other threads.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                              Experienced
                              • Jun 20 2012

Thank you for your advice guys, appreciate it. I have the square ignition key, don't know if it's original though (looks quite antique ans says: CURTIS IND., H27, EASTLAKE,O., U.S.A.). Have tried to lock both doors with no success. And speaking about the locks - did not manage to unlock/open the interior case either - what kind of key is needed for that?

Comment

• YellowRose
                                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Jiri Needs Your Advice

Hi Jiri, on my '59 it is the round headed key that unlocks the trunk that also locks/unlocks the glove box, which you called the interior case, I gather. Someone might have changed your door locks, or they are not working correctly. There might be something wrong with the locks. The key in the ignition that starts the car should also be the one that locks/unlocks the doors. You might have to get a locksmith involved. You can order Squarebird Tbird key blanks, as I recall, from places like the Bird Nest. In fact, they have the Key Blank Set Ignition and Trunk for 58-64, 5864KBS for $5.00 for both.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎