X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sidewalkman
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 14 2015

Oil pressure idiot light

Hi Gang, I can't seem to get the idiot light to work, I've replaced the sender, and the bulb, it was working now stopped. Thoughts?
    Scott
    South Delta, BC, Canada
    1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
    Red Leather Interior!
    www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
    Thunderbird Registry #61266
    http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
  • Joe Johnston
    Super-Experienced
    • Dec 23 2008

Did you use teflon tape on the sender's threads?
    Have you checked continuity of the sender's base to ensure a good ground connection?
    Have you supplied power to the wire going to the dash to make sure the bulb and all places in between are good?
    Have you cleaned the connection and ensured it being tight on the end of the sender to the wire?
    Did you do anything else under the dash or under the hood to perhaps loosen a wire?
    Did you check your actual oil level and also pressure with a mechanical gauge?
    Do you have a ground strap from the engine block to the body?

Answer the above and it will lead us to helping you.

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Take the wire off the sender and ground it to the block and turn the key on. If it lights then the problem is with the sender or the oil pressure itself. If it doesn't light then you will have to trace the wire back to the socket. Does your generator light work? They both get power from the same wire going to the ignition switch.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• sidewalkman
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by jopizz
        Take the wire off the sender and ground it to the block and turn the key on. If it lights then the problem is with the sender or the oil pressure itself. If it doesn't light then you will have to trace the wire back to the socket. Does your generator light work? They both get power from the same wire going to the ignition switch.

John
        Ha, I like that test, simple. Gen light works fine. I didn't Teflon tape it. I tried 2 senders so I doubt it's that, but I'll ground it and then like trace the wiring back. I have everything disconnected and then reran the wiring to clean up the dogs breakfast but made sure everything was marked. I'm thinking during the process the wire got loose someplace or snapped since they're OLD and brittle.
        Scott
        South Delta, BC, Canada
        Red Leather Interior!

Comment

• c4clewis
          Experienced
          • Aug 18 2010

I had 2 testers go bad in 2 weeks. Dont discount bad parts. Ground it like was suggested above.

Comment

• sidewalkman
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 14 2015

Originally posted by c4clewis
            I had 2 testers go bad in 2 weeks. Dont discount bad parts. Ground it like was suggested above.
            I did, no worky! I'll trace the wires, probably unplugged something when I was rerouting wires to clean up the engine compartment. easy fix I think. the one thing I love about our cars is the basic wiring.
            Scott
            South Delta, BC, Canada
            Red Leather Interior!

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢