X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Rear Axle oil

The "C" code is probably a limited differential (Equa-lock) axle as letter codes were used for these in later years. The codes for Equa-Lock axles are not even listd in the 1960 Shop manual. It was only a $39 option but it is fairly rare.

Only the following axle codes are listed(these are are all conventional axles):

Code Axle Ratio
    3 3.10 (used with 352 cid, Cruise-O-Matic)
    8 2.91 (used with 430 cid, Cruise-O-Matic)
    9 3.70 (used with 352 cid, Standard/Overdrive)

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
      Experienced
      • Jun 20 2012

I was advised to use the Petro Canada 10W30 mineral oil in the Bird. Anyone using or know this brand/oil?

I will be putting a new oil next week. Do I need to put any ZINC additive to it?

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Rock&Roll Firebird
        I was advised to use the Petro Canada 10W30 mineral oil in the Bird. Anyone using or know this brand/oil?

I will be putting a new oil next week. Do I need to put any ZINC additive to it?
        Advised by who? There's nothing in the documentation that says it has elevated levels of Zinc for older cars so why use it. Just buy an oil that does like Shell Rotella T. Why buy a Zinc additive when you can buy oil that already has it.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
          Experienced
          • Jun 20 2012

Originally posted by jopizz
          Advised by who? There's nothing in the documentation that says it has elevated levels of Zinc for older cars so why use it. Just buy an oil that does like Shell Rotella T. Why buy a Zinc additive when you can buy oil that already has it.

John
          It's hard to get SAE oil here in Europe. Petro Canada is one of available SAE oils here. That's why I ask about the additive. Hopefully, there's nothing wrong with the oil otherwise (besides the zinc), is it?

Or are there any other oils you could suggest? So I could search for them locally...

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The oil is fine. I just wouldn't overpay for it. Without knowing what else is available to you it's hard to recommend anything. You definitely need Zinc so if you can't find an oil that has a high Zinc content I would use the additive and good grade of 10W-30 or 10W-40 oil.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
              Experienced
              • Jun 20 2012

Originally posted by jopizz
              The oil is fine. I just wouldn't overpay for it. Without knowing what else is available to you it's hard to recommend anything. You definitely need Zinc so if you can't find an oil that has a high Zinc content I would use the additive and good grade of 10W-30 or 10W-40 oil.

John
              OK, you actually answered my next question - I found the Shell Rotella T on Amazon, only with the shipping fees the oil costs twice as much as Petro Canada. So as I understand, it's not a way to pay that much for an oil (even for our great Birds).

Comment

• Tbird1044
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 31 2012

I keep hearing about the zinc in older oils. Do the modern oils even have zinc in them or do you need to put it in as an additive. I haven't really looked that closely, but are there zinc additives in a bottle?
                Nyles

Comment

• del
                  Retired Expert Enthusiast
                  • May 11 2010

zinc additive

Hi Nyles,
                  Modern oils don't have zinc. I use Rislone Engine Supplement with Zinc Treatment (ZDDP). Comes in 1qt bottle at Auto Zone.
                  Regards,
                  Don Vincent
                  Amherst NY
                  1960 HT 352
                  TBird Registry 34042

Comment

• Tbird1044
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jul 31 2012

I finally did a quick google search and found a pretty good articles explaining the use of zinc. Looks like it was taken out of the oil to protect catalytic converters and O2 sensors. Here are some links to the articles:

After reading that articles, I think I will get an additive or use diesel grade oil in the future.
                    Nyles
                    Last edited by Tbird1044; August 24, 2014, 06:04 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Modern engines do not use flat tappets. They have roller followers with needle bearings that eliminate high pressure friction.

Only flat tappet engines need ZDDP. When that cam lobe comes around, it overcomes friction, spring pressure and kinetic energy, to drive the entire valve train and lower the valve about 3/4" at speeds so fast you can't see it. - Dave
                      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
                        Experienced
                        • Jun 20 2012

Fortunately, STP products can be found on our local market, so this can be answer to my ZDDP needs:

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎