• Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Denise Has Questions About Her '60 Tbird

bluefury is on a distinguished road
    Default Thank You
    Thank you Ray for your help in Registering. Now for my question about a 1960 Thunderbird. When starting the car have to pump gas continually. Idles fine once running back fires through carbuetor upon exceleration then levels out. Is this carb problem,fuel pump problem or vaccum?

I moved this up here to the '58-'60 Squarebirds Forum for the guys and gals to answer. Ray

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

My first guess would be a choke problem.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

As Joe said, the choke could be giving you problems. It could just be a matter of getting the carb adjusted correctly also. It would be good to know how long that carb has been on the engine, what work might have been done on it in the past, what carb it is, for that matter. You might check your vacuum lines to make sure they are good and hooked up correctly. Something else you could check is the fuel line. If it has a see through filter on the line, check and see if it is showing a lot of dirt or sediment in it. It could be fuel pump problems but probably not. How old is the gas tank? This could be a number of things, but as Joe said, you might try adjusting the choke settings. If it is the carb, there are rebuild kits available from our Tbird parts houses. As I said, they are all listed in the Advertisements Forums. Call or email them and ask for their free catalogs. Hopefully, more will come along and comment on your questions.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• bluefury
        • May 21 2012

1960 Tbird Problems

Ray and Joe thanks for the feedback looks like hubby is going to be busy. New wheel bearings,new brakes,new wheel cylinders,new tuneup,wires,distributer cap,points,plugs,rebuilt generator,rebuilt starter,new fuel pump,carb cleaned and rebuilt (holly),power steering pump rebuilt and new heater hoses. All this was done in 2001.

Comment

• Deblib
          Apprentice
          • Apr 30 2012

Hi and welcome! Just wanted to say that after we installed a new carburetor we had to jet it down for high altitude. Otherwise it ran too rich. It had come from sea level to our high altitude. I pump about five times before a cold start then turn ignition. If I continue to pump it, it will backfire. We did all the adjusts after we jetted it down according to the manual. I don't know if altitude is an issue for you, but thought I would mention it. Deb.
          Debbie #38435

Comment

• philgarvey
            Apprentice
            • Jul 21 2011

I have the same problem when I have not started my bird for a while. My problem is that the fuel in the fuel line drains back into the tank. When this happens, I use starting fluid (just spray it into the carburator) and your bird will probably start up...this might take two swings at it though.

Comment

• bluefury
              • May 21 2012

Thanks Phil for the input. New problem my hubby needs help with. The gentleman we bought the car from put in gas with 2 cycle oil mixed in for his grandsons motorcycle by mistake. What is the easiest way to drain this out?

Thanks
              Denise & Dan

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                Experienced
                • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by bluefury
                Thanks Phil for the input. New problem my hubby needs help with. The gentleman we bought the car from put in gas with 2 cycle oil mixed in for his grandsons motorcycle by mistake. What is the easiest way to drain this out?

Thanks
                Denise & Dan
                There is a drain on the right (passenger side) front bottom corner of the tank. Mine was seized and I ended up rounding my drain plug out so I just disconnected the fuel line coming out of the tank. Be sure to soak the drain plug or fuel line nut with liquid wrench before putting a wrench on it.
                VTCI# 11860
                58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 30 2009

backfire out the carb is a lean condition.

backfire out the exhaust is rich.

Finnicky carbs are what drives people to fuel injection
                  http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• philgarvey
                    Apprentice
                    • Jul 21 2011

If it were me I would use a siphon tool. They are inexpensive and very handy for this kind of thing. (I use to use a garden hose and sucked on the end to get a flow...not fun). I would definately try siphoning the bad fuel out before putting a wench to the tank.
                    good luck
                    phil

Comment

• Deblib
                      Apprentice
                      • Apr 30 2012

Carbureators

I agree Dakota boy! Driving a car with a carbureator again made me remember my 66 Mustang and what a pain that carb was. I always had to take off the air breather to get more air before my car would start! Only in certain weather.
                      Debbie #38435

Comment

• YellowRose
                        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

I think Phil meant "wrench" instead of "wench"! But then I could be wrong! If Dan intends for Denise to do this, then Phil might have had it right!
                        Last edited by YellowRose; May 23, 2012, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• philbird60
                          Apprentice
                          • Dec 29 2011

I know fuel injection is terrific, but the truth is, after some really painstaking rebuilding and tweaking of the OEM carb on my '60, I've found it to be amazingly smooth and responsive, and the heat driven choke works perfectly. It was a huge pain in the ***..
                          Whenever I have a drivability issue, or have to decide wether or not to restore to original spec, or go with a modern solution, I try to remind myself that when ford sold these cars, they didn't hand the keys over and say "listen, it might not start, or it might hesitate a little.. " they had every expectation that their design (no matter how rube goldberg it may be, in some cases) would allow the average driver ease of use and many miles without repair.
                          This thread did touch on something I'm interested in improving on.. the fuel does seem to scavenge out of the bowls and back into the tank when it sits for a bit.
                          My fuel line at the carb is not original, and I am wondering, Did it have a bend once that went up right after it exited the body, creating a trap? Is it possible that I've not set my floats quite high enough?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by philbird60
                            ...I try to remind myself that when ford sold these cars, they didn't hand the keys over and say "listen, it might not start, or it might hesitate a little.. "...
                            That's kinda true but... back then we learned to live with common starting problems. Cars used to 'flood', usually in Winter. On hot days some cars had 'vapor lock'. When is the last time your modern car flooded, and when's the last time you even heard of anyone having vapor lock with EFI?

Cars were simple and crude but the best Detroit offered, and competition was fierce.

Our family went to the same gas station because Dad trusted the mechanic to service our cars including,
                            1. Tuneup
                              1. plugs
                              2. points
                              3. condensor
                              4. rotor
                              5. wires
                              6. Distributor Caps
                              7. adjust valve lash (on Flatheads, Mileage Maker Six's, and Y-Blocks)
                            2. brakes
                              1. replace shoes
                              2. turn drums
                              3. repair or replace leaky wheel cylinders
                              4. bleed the system
                              5. replace return springs
                              6. perform scheduled shoe adjustments
                            3. lube
                              1. change oil
                              2. grease all zirk fittings
                              3. pack front wheel bearings
                              4. check trans fluid
                              5. check rear end dope
                            4. charging systems
                              1. batteries - every few years or so
                              2. generators or alternators
                              3. voltage regulators (including 'flashing' the armatures)
                            5. suspension
                              1. tires
                              2. tire balance (while the wheel was on the car)
                              3. shock absorbers
                              4. ball joints
                              5. tie rods
                              6. a few even did front end alignments
                            6. engine overhaul
                            7. TOWING SERVICE w/their own truck
                            8. and of course, gas
                            ...but the price of gas was of NO importance because it would be 'compensated for' in service costs if you were a regular customer.

That's why you got your windshield washed, oil checked, tires checked (and filled for free), etc.

Your car was one the service station took responsibility for servicing. This was a personal trust and pride that worked both ways. Every one of my neighbors claimed, 'their gas station' was the best. Inside, there was a small counter with a cash register, and maybe a gum machine or a Coke machine. That's it.

Now, none of the gas stations have a mechanic and they couldn't give a rip about your car. They just want to sell cigarettes, lottery tickets, and a wide assortment of junk to eat. - Dave
                            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• 63-4drpost
                              Experienced
                              • Feb 14 2009

timing??

the accelerator pump has to be adjusted properly,this means as soon as the throttle starts to open, fuel is squirting into the venturi, also look under the front bowl of the carb to see if gas is leaking out. Means the accelerator pump diaphram is shot. 10 years is a long time for a Holley carb. set the ignition timing to 10* with the vacuum advance line disconnected. Run the best gas you can find, BP Ultimate is one of them.I had a 1958 T-Bird when I was in the USAF(1965-1969), so I learned alot about them.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎