Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bbktexas
    • Feb 10 2008

430 Starter

From what i have read the Tbird 430 uses an inertia starter gear (long nose). The Lincoln uses a solenoid starter engagement (short nose). Since the engine, transmission, flywheel, and headers are the same why could I not use the Lincoln starter? Since the Lincoln starter is much easier to install and costs much less this is attractive.
    Brad
    1960 Hdtp; 430 Option
    1987 Turbo Coupe
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The starter type must match up with the flexplate. Squarebirds use a 153 tooth flexplate on both the 352 and the 430. The newer type starter is for a 184 tooth flexplate. The only way to use the newer type starter on a Thunderbird 430 is to change the starter gear as per the article in the Technical Resource Library. That modification however is meant for the FE engine group (352, 390). Whether or not the new starter has clearance issues on a Thunderbird 430 is unknown. I don't know any of our members who have done the starter modification and mounted it on a 430. It may fit just fine. The new style starter does not have a solenoid. That hump is the fork cover.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Derbird
      • Jul 10 2016

A company called RobbMc has a starter available that it's supposed to fit. I have one and an picking up engine Monday and that is the first thing I was going to check for fit.

Comment

• bbktexas
        • Feb 10 2008

430 Starter

I looked at several sites to buy replacement flexplates with ring gears and they list the 1958-1960 Lincoln 430's with 153 tooth ring gears. I will get mine back in the air and check the ring gear tooth count on the flywheel I have.

Thanks for the fast responses from jopizz and Derbird. Derbird please count the teeth on the starter from Robbmc.
        Brad
        1960 Hdtp; 430 Option
        1987 Turbo Coupe

Comment

• Derbird
          • Jul 10 2016

Sorry for the very late reply. There are 9 teeth on the Robbmc starter

Comment

• bbktexas
            • Feb 10 2008

430 Starter

Thanks Derbird, I purchased and installed the starter from RobbMC and it works perfectly. You can find a description of my installation under the topic heading "430 Starter Replacement". I will try to edit and post pictures but removing the old starter and installing the new one was a snap.
            Brad
            1960 Hdtp; 430 Option
            1987 Turbo Coupe

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎