Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

might this be a good spare motor to have?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

might this be a good spare motor to have?

"1968 ford 429 Thunderjet Big Block, complete from air cleaner to oil pan, engine is locked up from sitting but can be freed up. asking $250 OBO"

My car currently has a 460 from a '73 Marquis in it.
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

I'd snag it! If memory serves me, the '68 was the best year...the later ones power suffered from the smog equipment. I think the '68 combustion chamber was smaller than later years which allows for higher compression. It's been a few years since I messed with 429/460!

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

seller has two motors: a 1972 429, and the 1968 429. Here are some pics. I cant tell which is which.

Comment

The early heads ...

are desirable as they have the larger exhaust ports, but not nearly as good as the aftermarket alum. cobra jet heads. Maybe $200 for both if you have to have them. Mike

Comment

• Dakota Boy
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 30 2009

D0VE-C heads are on the '68 motor.

"The Four Types of 429s

First was the base 429, known as the Thunder Jet (TJ). It came in T-birds and full size Fords in the late 60's and early 70's. Typically 360 horsepower. By far and away the most common -- they made 100,000+ of these. Can be ID'd be block casting numbers of C8SE, C9VE, D0VE, D1VE among others and head casting numbers of C8SE, C9VE, D0VE among others.

Then there was the 429 Cobra Jet (CJ). It was built only in 1970-71. It was only installed in mid-size (1970-71) and pony cars (1971 only). 370 HP (likely underrated), thick strong blocks and massive ports int he heads. ID'd by D0VE-A and D1VE-AA casting numbers on the block and D0OE-R on the heads. No other numbers are CJ. Not too common, maybe a total production of 15,000.

The 429 SCJ was a stronger version on the CJ. The difference was forged pistons, solid lifter cam and four bolt mains*. The rest of the info is the same. Even less common with a production of maybe 3,000.

The baddest of them all is the Boss 429. It was rated at 375HP (grossly underrated). It came in special Mustangs (and 2 Cougars) in 1969-70. It had four bolt mains, aluminum hemi-style heads and looked like no other engine. ID by casting number on the block of C9AE. The heads ID themselves. Very rare and very expensive as only about 1,200 were made."
          Last edited by Dakota Boy; May 12, 2011, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Boss 429 ...

They had this one in the museum in Gateway. I had the T-Bird down there last weekend. A lot of very nice cars in the museum and the show. John Kasse is making new and much improved heads and intakes for the Boss 429. Now anyone with a 429/460 block can build one, but it's not cheap. Ford offered a 429 based crate engine a few years back that made right at 700hp for under 8k. About the best bang for the buck for a big block. Mike

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎