X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djberson
    Experienced
    • Jun 10 2012

Squarebird newbie's Radio removal question

Hello! I just obtained my first Squarebird (a '60), and have spent the past few days (shop manual in hand) trying to figure the car out. Unfortunately, the book is not as detailed as most shop manuals I am used to, so I have a few questions already. The first is on the removal of the radio. The shop manual says the tuner is lowered out of the dash. I took the knobs, hex nuts and metal plate off that is directly underneath (which revealed only solid, uncut dashboard vinyl -- no radio access). I then removed the rear bolt at the rear underside. However, there is no way I can see to remove the radio from below other than to cut away a large window of dash vinyl material. Is this right? Does this mean my radio has never been removed before? This just doesn't make any sense to me and I am very confused. Any advice will be most appreciated!
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There should be just the large metal plate under the radio held in by four screws. It's possible someone had a new dash installed and they left the vinyl in place rather than cut the access hole.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• djberson
      Experienced
      • Jun 10 2012

Day / Night rearview mirror question

Thank you. The plate is there, but there is solid dash underneath. I think you answered my question, and that is it is ok to cut it out!

Do the new dashes not have this area pre-cut out?

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

No, the new dashes aren't precut. Just make sure you leave enough overlap so that's it's covered by the plate.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• djberson
          Experienced
          • Jun 10 2012

Wow, thanks!! This is very helpful, and I feel much better. Less confused anyway

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎