X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JBird
    Experienced
    • May 22 2005

Cruise-O-Matic question

I have a rebuilt Cruise-O-Matic transmission. I have a rebuilt torque converter and the bell housing for a 430 engine.

Can anyone tell me if or what parts, if any, are interchangable with a 1957 Ford Ranchero w/312 engine. The trans & converter have zero miles on and a fellow called me after I lifted them for sale on a local radio show. He said his Ford Ranchero has a Cruise-O-Matic in it.

Are the tranny's the same or will everything fit? My interchange book doesn't show it's a match for the complete transmission interchange and I was wondering what the difference is.

Thanks,

Dave

RE: Cruise-O-Matic question

I may not be right on this........but I dont think the "Cruise-o-matic" came out until 1958.......as did the 352-332. The 430 was used in the Lincoln and was an option for the 59-60 bird. The blocks for these engines were different from the 312 so Im not sure if bolt holes would line up.

Comment

• Hawkrod
      Experienced
      • Oct 31 2005

That is correct almost... The cruisomatic came out in teh early 50's but otherwise right on. There were several variations depending on engine size and the 430 Tbird appears to have used the MX trans while a Ford used an FX and the Lincoln used an LX. David, what are you doing with your 430? Also, I have a fairly fresh FX from the 60 Tbird I just parted. It actually has a Ford rebuild tag on it and it appears new but has been run a few miles at least. Maybe we can work a multiway trade or something. Hawkrod

Comment

• JBird
        Experienced
        • May 22 2005

Thanks everyone. That agrees with the info in the interchange. I'll tell him the trans won't work.

Comment

• KULTULZ

RE: FORD-O-MATIC Design Progression

>That is correct almost... The cruisomatic came out in teh
          >early 50's but otherwise right on. There were several
          >variations depending on engine size and the 430 Tbird
          >appears to have used the MX trans while a Ford used an FX

>Hawkrod

The FORD-O-MATIC (and MERC-O-MATIC) (single range) was used until the CRUISE-O-MATIC (dual range FX-MX-LX) was introduced in 1958. The LINC was the TWIN-TURBO (dual range 1958) and had the large case (case size extended again in 1961).

The FX (small case) and MX (medium case) were used on both FORD and MERCURY depending on the transmission strength required for the application. LX was exclusively LINC.

The FMX was a major redesign for the 1968 model year that incorporated the MX internals into the FX case (with other modifications-SELECT SHIFT for one).

Comment

• Hawkrod
            Experienced
            • Oct 31 2005

That explanation is technically correct but also wrong! The Cruisomatic design is basically the same as a Fordomatic it is a marketing name change more than a major redesign of the trans. The FX and the Fordomatic of the earlier 50's are nearly identical and share a ton of parts. They are a Borg Warner design built under license. If you look up parts for an F/M you will see a ton of C0AZ parts listed and if you look up a C/M you will see a ton of B1AZ parts listed. While not identical, they can be interchanged quite freely. Hawkrod

Comment

• KULTULZ

>That explanation is technically correct but also wrong! The
              >Cruisomatic design is basically the same as a Fordomatic it
              >is a marketing name change more than a major redesign of the
              >trans. The FX and the Fordomatic of the earlier 50's are
              >nearly identical and share a ton of parts.

>Hawkrod

Well, I see we disagree again. While there is much interchangeability, there is also much that is unique.

You need to study the progress of the design over the years. And while FORD did origionally source BW, they bought the rights to the design with the FMX design.

To say a 1962 COM overhaul kit will work on a 57 FOM is a dis-service to those seeking correct information.

The 1958 redesign was major, as was the 1961 redesign. Two entirely different systems.

Comment

All I can remember was my father being concerned once about the "bands" in his 61 T-bird trans.........that needed to be ajusted. He asked the same of my 58 when I first took it out. It just needed some more fluid. I dont recall my 61 Falcon or my 63 Comet having anything close to a cruise-o-matic..........they were only 2 sp. autos.

Comment

• Hawkrod
                  Experienced
                  • Oct 31 2005

>>That explanation is technically correct but also wrong! The
                  >>Cruisomatic design is basically the same as a Fordomatic it
                  >>is a marketing name change more than a major redesign of the
                  >>trans. The FX and the Fordomatic of the earlier 50's are
                  >>nearly identical and share a ton of parts.
                  >
                  >>Hawkrod
                  >
                  >Well, I see we disagree again. While there is much
                  >interchangeability, there is also much that is unique.
                  >
                  >You need to study the progress of the design over the years.
                  >And while FORD did origionally source BW, they bought the
                  >rights to the design with the FMX design.
                  >
                  >To say a 1962 COM overhaul kit will work on a 57 FOM is a
                  >dis-service to those seeking correct information.
                  >
                  >The 1958 redesign was major, as was the 1961 redesign. Two
                  >entirely different systems.

You are putting words in my mouth again. I never said the overhaul kit would work or anything even vaguely like that. The redesigns you call major most transmission shops simply refer to as versions because the differences are relatively minor. The transmissions were not seriously changed until the FMX came out in 68. Prior to that the trans were similar enough that major components are swapable with each other (notice that I did not write interchangeable as it is a modification to use parts from one to the other as that is not what Ford intended or did). Even the FMX was not that far removed either and it is common to use FMX stuff (including the valve body sometimes) in earlier BW designed automatics. And who cares about what Ford and Borg Warner did about licensing in 68? We are talking about 58. To post it the way you did makes it sound as if what I posted was mistaken and it was not. The Cruisomatic was a Borg Warner trans built under license. Sorry, but you missed the mark in your response, Hawkrod

Comment

• KULTULZ

HAWKROD,

I have no desire to banter with you. If your premise is correct, the trans will fit the '57...

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎