No announcement yet.

Oil type

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil type

What type oil should I be running in my 430. Is the capacity 6 qts with filter change. Anyone know where I can get a chart on all the filters, fuel ect that I will need. This Bird has been sitting awhile and I want to change everything before I put it on the road.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Oil type

I recommend synthetic oil after the initial break-in period of about 100 miles. Use 10W40 or 10W30.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

My Opinon is Mobile one 10w 30...you dont need to change but every 2500 miles or so...

Comment

I dont want to open a can of worms with this but what oil brand are most of you running in your Birds.

Comment

• tarps3
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 21 2003

I put Mobil One 10W-30 in my Bird.
          I live in Oklahoma and we experience weather extremes from below zero to above 100...sometimes in the same day it seems.

I don't use my car as a daily driver but I do put quite a few miles on it yearly. I change ioil at least once a year or every 3,000 miles - whichever comes first.
          Casey

Comment

• newyear
            Experienced
            • Jan 4 2005

Hi,
            I have a workshop manual for a 1958 Continental which I believe uses the (same) 430 ci engine . It states the following:-
            Amount: Same for all types of oil
            5 quarts (Change without filter)
            6 quarts (Change with filter)

S.A.E 20 or 20W +32 degrees F and above

S.A.E 10 0r 10W -10 degrees F to +32 degrees F

S.A.E 5W -10 degrees F and below

The manual recommends changing the oil every 2000 miles but I imagine oil quality is much better now especially with synthetics available.If you need any further details I can scan the pages

Peter

Comment

Well, I am probably the last person to be giving most of you any advice, but I have an OUTSTANDING mech for my '59, and he told me that these engines were made well before the mixed weights ( like 10 W 30 ) were invented, and they do NOT work well under the mixed weights. As a matter of fact, having less than 1,000 miles on a complete rebuild, I was running 10w40, and was getting a little knocking noise after running for a while. His first question was what oil was I running, I told him, and he told me to get it out of there, and put in straight 30 weight. Stopped the noise RIGHT away, and seems to be perfect for the FE motors.
              DPH

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎