X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1960Bird
    Experienced
    • Dec 4 2002

Shift linkage

My shift lever is very loose and to get the car into drive I have to pull the lever down to the low gear setting. Is there an easy fix for this problem.
    390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Shift linkage

The usual areas of most wear for the shift linkage is in the shift collar and the working end of the shift lever. You will probably notice that the holes for the shift lever roll pin in the shift collar are oblong rather than the round roll pin diameter it is supposed to be. The working end of the shift lever is rounded instead of square after years of use.

The good news is that both the shift collar and the shift lever are now reproduced. The shift collar B7228A costs about $100. I am not sure how much the lever costs.

I had the same problem in my 1959. Unfortunately there were no repro pieces at the time. I epoxied in a hollow rivet in the shift collar to make it round again. I had to buy a NOS piece for the shift lever - not cheap.The alternative to buying a whole shift lever is welding metal onto the rounded edges and then filing them square. You will need to know the shpe of the original lever end for this. I have seen a lot of worn levers. It is amazing how much wears away on some.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top

Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢