This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:20 PM

Papa Gary is on a distinguished road
Default Bearing size for 61 tbird rear axle

I would,like to put rear disk brakes on my 61 t bird but i don't know if I have small bearing or large bearings? Sellers on Ebay sells kits and I want to make sure I dont want to spend my money on a produduct that wont fit. Any insight will help. Thanks
Old 12-17-2017, 08:13 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

The bearing number is written on the side of your bearing. You may also measure it or bring an axle to your local auto parts store. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-18-2017, 12:43 PM
Experienced

pbf777 is on a distinguished road

I believe your T-Bird would have the "small-bearing" size, and perhaps a double check vs. disassembly and measuring (best) is to establish that your unit has 3/8" dia. "T-bolts" w/ 9/16" hex wrenching size nuts vs. something else, utilized for retention of the axle & backing plate to housing. These are visible externally, passing tru the axle retaining plate (not visible without disassembly), backing plate & axle housing flange terminating w/ the retaining nut.

Note that beyond bearing sizes there are also several different bolt patterns for the Ford 9 inch axle housing flanges (important!).

Best to disassemble, for a proper inspection, and leave no doubt, of what you have (perhaps this unit is not original to the car?), and communicate with the supplier as to what you have and receive assurance that their product is correct as far as fitment.

If no verbal communication is possible (aka. ebay only web site) for such conclusion, or you receive to your inquiries "I-dunt-know"...........pass on the deal, as it will prove to be trouble.

Scott.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:12 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Gary View Post
I would,like to put rear disk brakes on my 61 t bird ...
I agree that front shoes are grossly sub-standard for stopping a T-bird. Rear drum brakes are quite a different story.

Rear drums are standard on my wife's 2010 Escape so they are still widely used because they work well. Since rear brakes only help with ~25% of braking and they have no problem locking the wheels, why change to rear disks?

Don't get me wrong, it's your money and your car to do with what you want but I cannot realize the advantage in rear disks. When we retrofit from drums to disks in the front, one of the challenges is to tame down the rear drum brakes because they require far less hydraulic pressure than the disks to lock-up the wheels.

Then, there is the issue of how to deal with the emergency brake. Keeping it stock satisfies that as well because the stock system works very well. Just say'n.

BTW, all bearings and seal sizes are metric and always have been. I hope this helps. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-21-2017, 01:30 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

I agree regarding the rear drums, but my desire to eventually go disc in the rear is the benefit of being able to pull the wheels of the car in a simpler fashion. Those drums are what I hang up on when I try to remove my wheels. IE, there is no pulling a wheel off my car unless you are in a shop somewhere..

Of course me having a 58, with the original rear end means all my rear end issues are different than the norm...

The fact that the discs do look better would be an added benefit.

But like you are saying the drums get the job done very well, so the swap to disc is way down my list of items that are important

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
I agree that front shoes are grossly sub-standard for stopping a T-bird. Rear drum brakes are quite a different story.

Rear drums are standard on my wife's 2010 Escape so they are still widely used because they work well. Since rear brakes only help with ~25% of braking and they have no problem locking the wheels, why change to rear disks?

Don't get me wrong, it's your money and your car to do with what you want but I cannot realize the advantage in rear disks. When we retrofit from drums to disks in the front, one of the challenges is to tame down the rear drum brakes because they require far less hydraulic pressure than the disks to lock-up the wheels.

Then, there is the issue of how to deal with the emergency brake. Keeping it stock satisfies that as well because the stock system works very well. Just say'n.

BTW, all bearings and seal sizes are metric and always have been. I hope this helps. - Dave
Old 12-21-2017, 02:04 PM
Slow Typist

Good point about mounting custom (deep) wheels. Disks are set at least a couple inches farther back than drums.

Can you see the disks? Many of our members still cover their custom wheels with stock (full) hubcaps that hide everything behind the wheel. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-21-2017, 09:07 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Good point about mounting custom (deep) wheels. Disks are set at least a couple inches farther back than drums.

Can you see the disks? Many of our members still cover their custom wheels with stock (full) hubcaps that hide everything behind the wheel. - Dave
If I ever get the far, the answer is yes, you will see them on my bird...

I just need to match the fronts I have.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:

So I can assume that disks does provide an advantage when considering offset distancing from say fender to tire, especially when using wheel and tire packages that are larger than factory specs?
Old 12-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Gary View Post
So I can assume that disks does provide an advantage when considering offset distancing from say fender to tire, especially when using wheel and tire packages that are larger than factory specs?
Absolutely! Wheels must clear the outer edge of drums which are flush with the axle face. Disks are set back at least a couple inches and their calipers are normally offset from the top.

Some wheel back spacing is so deep both shocks (on coil spring suspensions) must be disconnected so the axle can hang down for wheel mounting. That's why those wheels must be removed in a shop.

--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-24-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Absolutely! Wheels must clear the outer edge of drums which are flush with the axle face. Disks are set back at least a couple inches and their calipers are normally offset from the top.

Some wheel back spacing is so deep both shocks (on coil spring suspensions) must be disconnected so the axle can hang down for wheel mounting. That's why those wheels must be removed in a shop.
I don't know if my pics came out, but here is a my American racing novas test mounted on my 61 with the skirts on. They are 17x7 with 0 offsets. As you can see, I'm pushing it with the distance between the front of the tire to the fender well. I bounce the car several times to ensure I won't be scraping anything. Let me know if my pics came out right. Disks might help here

/Users/garyyeargans/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2016/12/24/20161224-230449/GB4cAEi+SgCh6MfhaANxhw/thumb_IMG_0997_1024.jpg/Users/garyyeargans/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2016/12/24/20161224-230449/MSj3KDU2SQSd+zGglXVjMg/thumb_IMG_1001_1024.jpg
/Users/garyyeargans/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2016/12/24/20161224-230449/PihU2mWDT06IDSsSpQZoHQ/thumb_IMG_0993_1024.jpg

Last edited by Papa Gary : 12-24-2017 at 01:00 AM.