X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 63-4drpost
    Experienced
    • Feb 14 2009

430 locked-up!

was driving my 1960 T-Bird today, ran fine. Got back into town, doing about 15 MPH, and it started knocking, like something against the fan, so I shut if off and coasted to the curb. Got out and looked for any signs of anything hitting the fan, looked okay. I got back in the car and tried starting it. the engine turned about 1 rotation, then locked up. first thing comes to mind is those 50 year-old 427 Ford sodium exhaust valves I thought I was so smart to use..I have a 351Cleveland ,stroked to 408, sitting in my garage.May just be time for a swap.
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

OUCH!!

I hate reading these stories.... (I'd keep the 430cid though)

-Jon in TX
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• 63-4drpost
      Experienced
      • Feb 14 2009

sodium valve

I pulled the valve covers off today, and the rocker arms. When i removed the rockr arms from the drivers side, the #8 exhaust valve spring and about 2" of the valve come off too.It pulled the valve stem apart! Right whrer the sodium cavity starts. If I just would have listened to those of you who told me it was ricky, I would still be driving it instead of spending more money on it.

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by 63-4drpost
        ...When i removed the rockr arms from the drivers side, the #8 exhaust valve spring and about 2" of the valve come off too. It pulled the valve stem apart! Right whrer the sodium cavity starts. If I just would have listened to those of you who told me it was ricky, I would still be driving it instead of spending more money on it.
        I believe it was Mike Gaffney that warned about the hollow-sodium valves:
        Originally posted by gaffney1951
        ...I would be very leery of using those old sodium cooled valves. Sodium is very corrosive combine that with their age and they are an accident waiting to happen. Mike
        Regardless, we are all sad to hear your valve cut loose and we hope your damage is minimal. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tbird430
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 18 2007

Oouch.....
          sigpic
          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎