Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • partsetal
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 4 2005

The covers over the drip rails can be removed by using a small bottle cap operner, like we used to open our beer bottles. They were freebees in the day. Use masking tape to pad the opener and be careful as the stainless dents and twists very easily. Start at the front, with the tongue of the opener gripping the bottom edge of the molding. Lift gently and the bottom will come out. Take small bites and again be careful, these things are fragile. I've found some that were so tightly held by rust that they could not be removed without damage. They are snapped on for replacement.
    A good product for the gutters is 3M "Drip Check Sealer" available in small tubes. It flows nicely and sets up like the original.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by brandonian
      ...3. What sorta polish do y'all recomend for polishing the stainless steel? Someone said to use 4x steel wool ... but the idea of that scares me!..
      Polish stainless with buffing compound and a sewn wheel. Keep ALL steel wool far away from bright finishes.

Buffing action needs to get the metal hot in order for the compound to work. Be very careful you don't slice yourself open if you do it off the car. Also be careful you don't snag and kink the drip rail moulding. Buffing takes practice.

Correct buffing wheels rotate at LEAST 3,600-RPM. I thought I could buff, until I saw a REAL Buffer do it in a chrome plating shop (they have industrial buffers). Those guys do it every day, so bring your stainless to them for a real nice professional job. They don't charge much. Otherwise do it yourself, if you have the tools.

My Automotive Paint supplier has a two-part epoxy in a double-syringe (that never really hardens) for your drip rails. Scrape out the old, squirt in the new, and paint over it. Call an automotive paint supplier by your house. If you don't know of one, ask a bump & paint shop. The guys will tell you where one is. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• brandonian
        Apprentice
        • Aug 4 2007

Thanks everyone! I really do appreciate your replies ... makes my life so much easier! I've bought something called nevr-dull ... it's a wadding polish, and it's really cleaned up the chrome. Doesn't appear to do anything to the stainless at all ... as far as I can tell! I'll have a pro do the stainless!!!

Comment

• brandonian
          Apprentice
          • Aug 4 2007

Got my car back.

It had been 1 year 8 months 10 days since my car went into the paint shop. I took the car back on the 31st of March, and the only thing completed was the top, door jams, and insides of the trunk and hood. I was going to take the car to my upholstery guy on the 6th, but needed to replace the air and heat systems and install a new radio system, and replace the window crank on the driver's door, etc. (To me, it's easier to do this now than to wait until I have a new interior.) But that doesn't seem to matter because I don't have enough time to do what I wanted done before the appointment, and most importantly, the paint is chipping and falling off the inside of the trunk lid and door jams and hood. Underneath the new paint, no primer, just the old blue paint that the car had when I took it to him. There is a rust hole on the roof the size of a pencil eraser, and one on the fin on the passenger's side about half that size. Both were supposed to be repaired, but weren't. So ... I got screwed. Not to mention the little chips and nicks and stuff ... those I told myself I'd overlook because inevitably, they were going to happen ... just figured I'd put them there after it was painted, instead of getting it back with them already in it. I've been angry, depressed, back to angry, etc. I'm so fed up ... It may only be for the moment, but as of right now ... I want to sell the car, or GIVE it away. I've invested far too much of my emotions and money ... I've just reached a point where I say, "I'M DONE." This whole experience has soured me on my car ... and it's not the car's fault ... I just look at the car and get angry because it represents 2 years of BULL$#!+ and NO results. I'm not a happy young man, and there really isn't a **** thing I can do about it. Used to be real passionate and excited about this car ... loved everything about it, every detail ... but now I just get mad when I look at it.

Comment

• Coral
            Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

Sorry to hear about your troubles Brandon!

Throw a tarp over the beast and walk away until you are feeling better about it, its not the car's fault.... and you might regret some rash action

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Just my two cents, Brandonian...

but what would a new owner do? If you sold this car today, and told the new owner all that's wrong, what would he do?

A new broom sweeps clean, meaning the new owner also has new interest. It's all in your attitude. If you want the world to be a brighter place, change your attitude!

You may have been taken by the painter, but that is something that can be fixed. Rust holes are small potatoes to a classic car restorer.

You may have made some bad choices in finding a good body shop and painter. Swallow your pride and look for KNOWN good shops. Once you see quality work and your T-bird shows her true hidden beauty, your passion will return.

Crooks stay up all night dreaming of ways to steal your money. Quality work does not come cheap, and good restorers are very few and hard to find. If you go to your local car club, the members will steer you in the right direction. They usually invite new people to sit-in on a few meetings for free, just to find out what the club is about. Ask questions. You will either be amazed, or try another club.

Keep the faith, Brandonian. Your classic Thunderbird is still a jewel in the rough. No reason YOU shouldn't enjoy cruising in it. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• keith
                Super-Experienced
                • Feb 13 2010

Sorry to read what happened or not happened to your car.

If it is of any help I live in Sedalia Missouri. I do not work on cars for a living, but I would consider myself a serious car nut that works on cars as a hobby.

If I can help you in anyway please ask or stop by if you are ever near here.

Maybe nows the time for you to take up fixing cars as your new found hobby. I can't think of anything more rewarding.
                Keith
                Sedalia, Mo.
                sigpic
                CLICK HERE for Keith's web site

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

My 60 Bird

Hi Brandon,

I am sorry to hear that you have run into such problems with the body work and painting of your Tbird.. That is such a hassle and I have a good idea of how you must be feeling, having run into problems with Rose... However, you have a good car there, and it can become a better one, so do not give up on her. Our members have given you some good advice. I remember one of them saying some time back, that when they run into a problem, their grandpa told them, (if I remember right) to walk away from it for a few days, refresh your mind and then come back to it. That is good advice. I see that you and Keith live in the same state. Perhaps he can be of some help to you. I would certainly talk with him.

Don't give up! As Cathie said, it is not the car's fault! Best Regards,

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                  Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Hey Brandon,
                    She's old and there is people that does not care. I will tell you what my grandfather used to tell me: "Son if your working on something and its not going right, walk away from it for a while. You will have a whole different attitude when you come back and things will go better!"
                    Once again she is old and like a fine bottle of wine she will only get better with age. Be patience my friend!!!
                    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

My 60 Bird

Aha! It WAS Richard, as I thought it was, who posted that story about what his Grandpa told him! It is good advice, and I have taken it myself at times over difficult times with Rose.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• brandonian
                        Apprentice
                        • Aug 4 2007

Thanks guys, but I am afraid I don't want to set through another body/paint job and then still have to take it in for an interior job ... and not only that, I am financially incapable of hiring anyone else at this point. I'm just completely disgusted and angry and if I had faith in myself, I'd attempt it, but I am not any good at paint or body work ... I know there's plenty of time, but there's no getting back what I've already lost. Too many disappointments, lies, set-backs ... All this time I been waiting patiently, telling myself it will be soooo worth it when I get it back ... and nope. I was totally wrong. It doesn't help that EVERYONE I know keeps asking me about it ... but I've been enduring that for almost 2 years now. I will say, that this man has lost a lot of business now! My upholstery guy was SHOCKED ... he said I should wait to have the upholstery done until after the paint was fixed properly ...

OH WELL! LESSON LEARNED!!!

Comment

• Coral
                          Super-Experienced

• Apr 3 2009

How long can you sit on the car, or is someone asking to buy it?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                            Administrator
                            • May 26 2009

...My upholstery guy was SHOCKED ... he said I should wait to have the upholstery done until after the paint was fixed properly...
                            He's right. That's how Ford did it.

Brandon, it isn't necessary that we know everything. That's why we hire experts with good reputations.

What IS necessary is that you stay on top of the contract. If you're not satisfied with the work, make him do it over. If he won't, hire a lawyer. Damage is done and compensation is in order.

If you don't have money for a lawyer, take him to small claims court. Either way, he will pay to fix your car. Take lots of pictures. Sitting and waiting will solve nothing. You need to move forward on this. Procrastination got you where you are so don't let it continue.

Click here for the Missouri Bar. <--go here and learn your rights. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dutchbird
                              Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                              Keep the faith, Brandonian. Your classic Thunderbird is still a jewel in the rough. No reason YOU shouldn't enjoy cruising in it. - Dave
                              Hi Brandon,

As Dave mentioned, there's NO reason why YOU shouldn't drive this T-Bird in the future!!!
                              Like many said before, let it rest for a while. (If you do nothing, it doesn't cost you any also)

I've got 3 birds now, and plenty of room for more!
                              If you still have the room yourself and don't have to rent a place to park your Bird, please again:
                              Let it rest for a while. (If you do nothing on the car, it doesn't cost you any also)

....I really hope you won't sell her and pick up the pieces sometime....

ALL THE BEST!!!
                              Attached Files

Comment

• brandonian
                                Apprentice
                                • Aug 4 2007

I took the car for a drive, in it's present state. I enjoyed it and hated it at the same time.

I have no desire to wait any longer, be it a day or a month or a year. I've been unbearably patient, to the point I haven't any patience left.

I wanted my car completed a year ago. Now I'm starting all over again from scratch.

Maybe some day down the road I'll regain some enthusiasm and go through this whole process again, the CORRECT way. But for now, I'm just totally defeated and DONE.

Thanks though for all the support and shoulders ...

My friends and family don't understand ... "It's just a car!" they say ...

Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎