X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1965TbirdMan
    Apprentice
    • Mar 17 2010

Shifter issue

Well it has been awhile since I posted anything but the old 65 is doing well. She has a new engine and lots of new parts on thing is that my shifter needs to be pushed up to start I bought the needed parts from the birds nest but have run into a problem. I cut the bushing to insert it over the steering column but can't install it. They said to remove the neutral safety switch and a few other nuts and bolts and I should be able to slide the column cover or the column enough to install the bushing however this hasn't been successful. Does anyone know a few tricks? Thanks
  • unc1116
    • May 28 2013

Originally posted by 1965TbirdMan
    Well it has been awhile since I posted anything but the old 65 is doing well. She has a new engine and lots of new parts on thing is that my shifter needs to be pushed up to start I bought the needed parts from the birds nest but have run into a problem. I cut the bushing to insert it over the steering column but can't install it. They said to remove the neutral safety switch and a few other nuts and bolts and I should be able to slide the column cover or the column enough to install the bushing however this hasn't been successful. Does anyone know a few tricks? Thanks
    I disconnected the rag joint and was able to get it in.
    hope this helped Bill

Comment

Originally posted by 1965TbirdMan
      I just did the bushing and have a step by step process. I will snap a picture and post it. it was fairly simple to do but I believe they recommend removing the hood hinge to gain better access. then once you remove the bolt from the bottom of the steering column its just a matter of sliding the tube when neutral safety is removed. We also found our shifter arm to be heavily notched and replacing it finally did the trick

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎