X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danowens3
    Experienced
    • Dec 29 2005

Bringing Chrome Back to Life

The 1960 T Bird is all but disassembled and ready for the paint shop next week. For the two months it will be gone I am looking to really shine up the chrome pieces. Any suggestions on how I should go about this and any products that work better than others?

Also, any suggestions on replacing the wiring to the car. Are there any places that sell new wiring harnesses, or is it best to run it all new ourselves, and then wrap it all up nicely?

Thanks,
    Dan
    60 Hardtop
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Bringing Chrome Back to Life

Some parts of the wiring harness are being reproduced. Contact the vendors on the main site by clicking on links.

One of chrome's great qualities is that it does not tarnish. I know some that say you should not use anything more than window cleaner on it. If it is dirty, clean it with car wash first. Simichrome or Dupont Old number 7 work well to bring back the luster of chrome. If the chrome is worn away or pitted, there is unfortunately nothing you can do other than buying a replacement piece or having thew piece rechromed.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 28 2004

I've used "fine" steel wool. The kind you can use on glass. It will work, however if you get carried away, you'll go thru the chrome.
      It will definently remove surface rust off. Just be carefull.

JB

Comment

>The 1960 T Bird is all but disassembled and ready for the
        >paint shop next week. For the two months it will be gone I
        >am looking to really shine up the chrome pieces. Any
        >suggestions on how I should go about this and any products
        >that work better than others?
        >
        I used NEVR-DULL by Eagle One with teriffic results. For some chrome I had that was "bad" I used the NEVR-DULL along with Blue Magic Metal Polish -- Fantastic results.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎