X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ss396t6
    Apprentice
    • Oct 21 2014

1957 Thunderbird new owner

That would be me. Ray Clark pitched in to help. In November I purchased a 1957 Dusk Rose with white porthole hardtop. Currently it is at my mechanic's for minor work.

Question regarding the hubcap center painting. What color is that?

Thanks,
    Scott Sims
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If the color is not specified in the concours rules that the Vintage Thunderbird Club puts out then I would go with Colonial White. Ford used that color white for a lot of it's cars and parts of that era.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• 840 840 840
      Experienced
      • Dec 30 2008

Welcome to the Little Birds Forum.
      Now let's see some pictures.
      Charley

Comment

• Joe Johnston
        Super-Experienced
        • Dec 23 2008

Its always good to see Little Birds!

I agree with the Colonial White choice as they look a bit creamy and not a pure white.

Comment

• ss396t6
          Apprentice
          • Oct 21 2014

Originally posted by 840 840 840
          Welcome to the Little Birds Forum.
          Now let's see some pictures.
          Charley
          Charley, I read that you are involved with working on your '56. When is your target finish date?

I will eventually post photos. It is a very nice Dusk Rose with black/white interior with white steering wheel, both tops (white), PS, PB, PW, Pseat, auto, D code. The old bias ply are coming off in favor of new Diamond Back radials.

Thanks to all for your welcoming me aboard.

Comment

• Joe Johnston
            Super-Experienced
            • Dec 23 2008

You may want to check out Coker. They advertise a series with the pie crust shoulders that are radials but look bias ply. I have not seen them in person but the pictures look very good. The bias ply look awesome, but I had some reproduction Firestone's on a 56 several years ago and they were almost dangerous if I was caught in the rain - not nearly the traction we are used to with radials (and only 4" of tread didn't help either)!

Comment

• 840 840 840
              Experienced
              • Dec 30 2008

Originally posted by ss396t6
              Charley, I read that you are involved with working on your '56. When is your target finish date?

I will eventually post photos. It is a very nice Dusk Rose with black/white interior with white steering wheel, both tops (white), PS, PB, PW, Pseat, auto, D code. The old bias ply are coming off in favor of new Diamond Back radials.

Thanks to all for your welcoming me aboard.
              April 30th, 2015, I better get busy. But I work best under pressure.

Comment

• ss396t6
                Apprentice
                • Oct 21 2014

Originally posted by Joe Johnston
                You may want to check out Coker. They advertise a series with the pie crust shoulders that are radials but look bias ply. I have not seen them in person but the pictures look very good. The bias ply look awesome, but I had some reproduction Firestone's on a 56 several years ago and they were almost dangerous if I was caught in the rain - not nearly the traction we are used to with radials (and only 4" of tread didn't help either)!
                Thanks, Joe. I almost bought Coker tires until a 1955-1957 mechanic told me that some of his customers who owned them had problems with them. The Diamond Back radial tires have 2-1/2" wide whitewall and 60K mile rating and comparably priced. As little as I drive my other two classic cars I would die before driving 60,000 miles in the Thunderbird.

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Dec 23 2008

Mine are Diamondback and they have stayed nice and white with minimal cleaning.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by YellowRose; December 17, 2014, 11:07 AM. Reason: Downsized pic to 800x600

Comment

• ss396t6
                    Apprentice
                    • Oct 21 2014

Mine are Diamondback and they have stayed nice and white with minimal cleaning.
                    Nice '57! I like the small "dog dish" hubcaps. Mine has the full covers. I am not a fan of the KH wires. Talk about a cleaning nightmare.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by simplyconnected; December 17, 2014, 03:19 PM. Reason: Downsized pic to 800x600

Comment

• Joe Johnston
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Dec 23 2008

Thanks for the comment on the hubcaps. I've had the car since 84 and had several wheel combinations on it. It looks good with the colonial white top and these whitewalls are a breeze to clean compared to the wire wheels.

Comment

• ss396t6
                        Apprentice
                        • Oct 21 2014

Thanks for the comment on the hubcaps. I've had the car since 84 and had several wheel combinations on it. It looks good with the colonial white top and these whitewalls are a breeze to clean compared to the wire wheels.
                        I sent photos of my 1957 to Ray Clark and he was kind to post photos of my car under Our Rides. Thanks Ray!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎