X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 430bird60
    Experienced
    • Dec 30 2008

trailer hitch

I have been told that there was a dealer option trailer hitch for the squarebird. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, does anyone by any chance have a photo? Thanks. Ken
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

trailer hitch

Yes, Ken, there was a trailer hitch that was put on some Squarebirds at the dealership. Alexander deals with this in a post he made some years ago. In fact, he put it in the Technical section, along with pictures of it. It is actually stamped 58-59-60 Thunderbird, and Marco ~ Dutchbird has one on his Tbird, as Alexander did also. I have looked at all three Standard and Optional equipment lists for the Squarebirds on Automotive Mile Post. It is not listed on any of them. Here is the link.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

trailer hitch

I asked Joseph at the Auto Interior shop to take off my trailer hitch. So he did! When he got it off, and we used a wire brush on it, guess what we found under 50 years of gunk!! It is an original 1958-59-60 Thunderbird trailer hitch and is marked so by Draw Tite Co. when they manufactured it.

I just tried to call Bob Oeschger who worked the Wixom Quality Control line at Wixom during the years of the Squarebirds manufacture. Unfortunately, he was not home. I left him a message asking him if he ever saw any Squarebirds come down the line with the trailer hitches already installed. I suspect not. I think it was probably put on at the dealerships at the request of a customer. In any case, mine is an original trailer hitch! I am glad I finally found that out.

I called Don at the Bird Nest and asked him what an original Squarebird trailer hitch would cost me if I wanted one. He said "about $250, if you can even find one. They are as hard as hens teeth to come up with." Here are a couple of pictures of mine. I will have mine re-chromed and get a ball for it also.
      Attached Files

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• Anders
        Super-Experienced
        • Jan 19 2008

...and you don´t want to sell it to me, no?........
        sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• YellowRose
          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

trailer hitch

Sorry, Anders, but it is already spoken for! If the arrangements are not completed, then I will let ya'll know. I see by the article about trailer hitches by Alexander, that Marco has one also, and his is marked like mine is - "1958-59-60 Thunderbird".

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Is there still a demand for this hitch? Do you guys really want a hitch on your classic squarebird? Or, is this a 'collector' item?

Draw-tite company has been in business since the 1940's and they are still in business today with 500 employees. They also happen to be about 30-minutes from my house, and very close to Ford Rouge Area, Dearborn, (which is probably why Draw-tite was contracted to make hitches for Ford Dealerships).

I have owned a dozen Draw-tite hitches (and I have one now). They are made very well. I have never heard one complaint in many decades of knowing this company.

If you guys seriously want more, I will see what I can do. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

trailer hitch

Hi Dave,

I figured that Draw Tite might still be in business. That is good to know that they are. The trailer hitch on a Tbird is often looked at askance, is what I have gathered from past things I have read. In Europe, you often see Tbirds towing their small to medium sized overnight campers to S&S events. In fact, when Anders and others there, sent me pictures of S&S events they have attended, there were a number of Tbirds pulling trailers in the photos. I do not know if that is also common Down Under or not. I have not been to hardly any S&S events, so I do not know if it is a common thing to see or not in this country. Others who have been to S&S events can comment on that.

Those who have been looking for them, that I know of, and that is just a few, come from outside the US. I know that Don at Bird Nest gets requests for them at times. I also know from what he told me, that they are difficult to find. It is like trying to find parts for a Golde Top.

It is my understanding that Draw Tite does not have any of those embossed for the Squarebird trailer hitches. So I have been told. But then again, I have not contacted them to find out. I would be interesting to hear what they have to say about them these days. I bet they could put one together if there were a demand for them.

I took mine off because I never planned on pulling anything with Rose. Although, the previous owner told me he often towed his boat from northern Mississippi to go fishing in southern Mississippi. Rose has air shocks on her, and I gather it was for that reason. On the rear bumper there is a button, I think it is, to adjust the air shocks. It is to the left of the left hand bumper bolt, about a foot away from it.

I would be interested, not because I would want one, but just to see what Draw Tite might have to say about this hitch and whether or not, they could make more if there was a demand for them. I do know that they make very good stuff from what I have been told. This hitch seems to be quite well constructed. It will look nicer when it is re-chromed.
              Last edited by YellowRose; December 31, 2009, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• Anders
                Super-Experienced
                • Jan 19 2008

Dave: I seriously like to have one of these "originals" if possible.
                Of course, there is a limit of how much it can cost, but a few hundreds is no problem.
                I might take the trip to The Netherlands and buy myself a old Constructam Comet 5 some day. Will give me a reason to visit Marco and have a Heineken with him They look great and the interiors are realy nice! An Airstream is difficult to find here.
                A guy in our Squarebirds / Thunderbird club have restored one, and looks ( and works ) super. The car as well...
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Anders; December 31, 2009, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• ParTaxer
                  Apprentice
                  • Oct 8 2009

I own a teardrop trailer that weighs less than 1200lbs loaded with gear maybe 1500lbs. I was planning on getting the bird hitched and take it to some regional teardrop gatherings. I was checking underneath the tbird and there appears to be connecting areas for the modern bar type "hidden hitch" mount.
                  I know its not original but you would be able to slide out the ball hitch when not towing.

Also would like to post the pictures for the camping forum that I participate with. I can I have your permission for that?

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

trailer hitch

I don't see that it is a problem to post a few pictures in the Anything Goes Forum. Especially if there some Tbirds on the other ends of those trailers!

Comment

• ParTaxer
                      Apprentice
                      • Oct 8 2009

I didn't make myself clear. I want to post the two pictures from this thread to another forum.

Comment

• Anders
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by ParTaxer
                        I didn't make myself clear. I want to post the two pictures from this thread to another forum.
                        If it is mine, please feel free to do so.
                        Otherwise, you need to ask Ray

Comment

• byersmtrco
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Sep 28 2004

What were they thinking?? The original brakes would barely stop the
                          car . . . How was going to stop a trailer too??
                          If it's original . . . It would be a cool novelty to have on there though.

Comment

• Anders
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by byersmtrco
                            What were they thinking?? The original brakes would barely stop the
                            car . . . How was going to stop a trailer too??
                            If it's original . . . It would be a cool novelty to have on there though.
                            There is an automatic brake on the trailers that sets in when you are breaking and the weight is going forward.

Comment

• scumdog
                              Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                              Is there still a demand for this hitch? Do you guys really want a hitch on your classic squarebird? Or, is this a 'collector' item?

If you guys seriously want more, I will see what I can do. - Dave
                              I would love one, it would save tearing apart our mountain-bikes to fit them in the trunk of the '66, I could mount them off one of those fancy brackets that fit to your trailer hitch.

Could you see if there is any record of the company making a hitch for a '66??

Thanks
                              Tom
                              A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎