X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NYsquarebird58
    Experienced
    • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by DKheld
    You've got the hard vacuum line coming out of the manifold - through the old right angle check valve - then it went to the "T" on top of the old booster. The line off the other side of the booster continued on to the reserve tank in the inner fender. You access the reserve tank by taking out the splash shield from inside the drivers side wheel well.

You "can" leave the reserve tank out but I don't think I would. It allows 2-3 additional power assisted stops should the engine quit and you are still rolling. After that it would just be like having non power assisted brakes - still work but more pedal pressure needed - a lot more.

Eric

this post has a pic of the tank but at the moment I can't find one with the tank installed location. (page1)
    http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...reserve&page=3
    Will any vacuum reservoir tank do? I found this one on summit racing. Perhaps I can bypass the one that's hidden behind the fender and mount a smaller one under the hood, like the ones that hotrodders use when they're running big cams and power brakes.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-3701/
    VTCI# 11860
    58HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37043 (Sold)

60HT - Thunderbird Registry Number: 37252 "Lucille" (Sold)

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

NYsquarebird58's Brake System Overhaul and Disc Brake Conversion

I am not sure I understand the problem here, but I can tell you how Howard and I handled our disc brake conversion. If you have the under dash Kelsey-Hayes unit, leave it in place, including the connection to the reserve tank behind the inner fender. So we left the hose that was connected to that reserve tank hooked up, and are using it also. It has not caused either one of us any problems. If you don't have the under dash KH unit, and still have a hose going to a reserve tank behind that inner fender, I would continue to use it. If this is not what is being discussed, just disregard this...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Marcelo's new brake booster includes plenty of reservoir. Since he is retrofitting an electric wiper system, his Squarebird will have nothing else that runs on vacuum. Eric is right about not needing two check valves. Having more than one lowers the available vacuum.

To prove this out, simply remove the manifold check valve and run one vacuum hose to the booster. While the car is moving down a secluded road, shut off the engine and see how many brake pedal pumps it takes to stop. Now do the same test in your modern car.

Modern cars don't have 'extra' reservoirs because they are much more efficient than systems from the '50's. Modern systems also output my hundreds of pounds more assist. Marcelo's IS a modern system in every way.

I've been thinking about the space the old reservoir populates. It could be used for a new electric windshield washer reservoir. The new electric wiper switch already offers a contact closure when pressed in. That could energize a wash motor in a modern car reservoir. Bone yards throw them out daily. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

Thanks Dave - was not familiar with the new boosters having built in reserve but that's great.

Marcelo - your tank should still be there in the drivers side inner fender (that other hose). Mine still works fine and like Ray mentioned - I'd just use it (until all the use runs out of it )

Wish I had a pic of the thing showing where it is installed but all I can find is the one of it out by itself. Maybe someone has a parts book that shows it or a pic of theirs still installed.

Eric

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Remember this?
            Originally posted by NYsquarebird58
            ...The Booster was filled with brake fluid!
            The old reservoir may be filled with brake fluid, too.
            Regardless, I still wouldn't use it because it serves no real purpose and it's just another thing that can go bad. None of my brake systems use a separate reservoir.

Here's a generic Ford vacuum setup... - Dave
            Attached Files
            Last edited by simplyconnected; September 17, 2012, 01:11 PM.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
              Experienced
              • Feb 6 2012

Doing a parts inventory check for tomorrow's rear brake job. Once this is done, all that is left is to finish plumbing the brake lines and fill and bleed the system.

VTCI# 11860

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                Experienced
                • Feb 6 2012

Rear drums are done!

VTCI# 11860

Comment

Looks good ...

You probably have, but not a bad idea to put a little anti-seize on the adjuster threads. Mike

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

I would like to see closeup pics of the wear pads on the backing plates. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• NYsquarebird58
                      Experienced
                      • Feb 6 2012

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                      I would like to see closeup pics of the wear pads on the backing plates. - Dave
                      Unfortunately, I didn't take close up pictures of the wear pads specifically, but here's a picture of the backing plate after I brushed off all the loose brake dust.

VTCI# 11860

Comment

I usually sqweez those spring closed a little up top

Comment

• tbird430
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jun 18 2007

That looks great in back!!

A difference you will surely tell & feel (plus those front disc added).

-Jon in TX.
                          sigpic
                          The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Anders
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jan 19 2008

I donīt know if any of these helps, but I thru them in anyway. Canīt hurt as I see it....
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• RustyNCa
                              Super-Experienced
                              • May 31 2007

Originally posted by NYsquarebird58
                              Will any vacuum reservoir tank do? I found this one on summit racing. Perhaps I can bypass the one that's hidden behind the fender and mount a smaller one under the hood, like the ones that hotrodders use when they're running big cams and power brakes.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-3701/
                              Yeah, does the same thing as the one in the fender. I am running that exact tank on our Oldsmobile, for the exact reason you mentioned. It only pulls 7 or 8 pounds of vacuum at idle, not enough to keep the power brakes fed for more than one pedal pump. So far it has solved the problem with the olds brakes.

You know our 65 tbirds have two vacuum res cans under the hood, which makes sense. It has vacuum door locks, release for the parking brake, lock for the slide away steering wheel, I assume mode doors on the heater, in addition the brakes. I haven't traced it out, but I think Ford separated the systems, hence the two cans.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by Anders

I donīt know if any of these helps, but I thru them in anyway. Canīt hurt as I see it....
                                That BIRD is lucky to have you. Nice detail work...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎