X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

Cleaning out the manifold crossover

I have a 1960 T-Bird intake manifold that I am trying to clean out the crossover passage. This entire passage is filled with hard carbon deposit. I have chiseled out as far as I can get on each end, but not very far, since the path is very convoluted. I also broke the 5/8 hex wrench drive 1.5-inch diameter plug that is under the carburetor. I am having a machinist drill out the remains. It is stuck in there tightly. Heat and penetrating oil did not help. Even when I get out the plug, I am not sure if I can chisel out the carbon with this small access hole.

Does anyone have an idea on how to excavate or dissolve this carbon?

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic
  • tarps3
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 21 2003

RE: Cleaning out the manifold crossover

Don't know if this will help.
    I've cleaned passages before with a sandblaster fitted with a narrow nozzle.
    It takes a while but with enough force and patience, it will eventually work thru the deposit.

Casey
    Casey

Comment

RE: Cleaning out the manifold crossover

I have done 390s with a drill extention and metal V shaped grinder attachment. Also coat hangers. Don't worry about cutting some metal out as this will only improve flow, also use sandpaper and sanding drums to smooth it out so the groves you leave behind don't catch carbon build up. This is normally caused by cheap gas, lack of vacum and not cleaning the PCV (inlater models). You might try to have a shop steam and dip it.
      Monty

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎