• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssj335
    Experienced
    • Jul 13 2018

Warm Weather Ventilating

Morning!

So there is a black "air control knob" under the instrument panel. It's described on page 12 of the owners manual.

Pulling it out is supposed to bring outside air into the car through the outlets under the instrument panel.

Can anyone tell me if this actually works/is helpful in cooling off the interior any?

Thanks! Very curious about this.
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

I see you have a '59 - must have changed a little bit in '60 - my owners manual shows the temp and fuel gauge on p 12.

I'm thinking you are referring to the vents on either side of the passenger compartment on a car without A/C. You can see the lever in this pic on the passenger side. I couldn't live without them. When open they let in tons of air - as long as you are moving.

Worst part about the Tbird - no fan to move air when your sitting still on the car without A/C.

Comment

• ssj335
      Experienced
      • Jul 13 2018

Yes it's a 59'. Thanks for the feedback. Yes it's brutally hot sitting still. It's great to know that these knobs will allow air in and it actually helps!!!

Originally posted by DKheld
      I see you have a '59 - must have changed a little bit in '60 - my owners manual shows the temp and fuel gauge on p 12.

I'm thinking you are referring to the vents on either side of the passenger compartment on a car without A/C. You can see the lever in this pic on the passenger side. I couldn't live without them. When open they let in tons of air - as long as you are moving.

Worst part about the Tbird - no fan to move air when your sitting still on the car without A/C.

Comment

• Tbird1044
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 31 2012

There is large "C" shaped spring on the top side of the lever that helps to keep the vent in place. These springs can break or pop off of their mounting which would not allow the vent to stay in position. When you move the lever up and down it should sort of snap into position. If it does not, it probably means that the spring is gone or broken.
        Nyles

Comment

• ssj335
          Experienced
          • Jul 13 2018

I'm going to cross my fingers that these are not broken lol!

It feels like 100 degrees here on Long Island today. Not that I plan to go for a ride.

Originally posted by Tbird1044
          There is large "C" shaped spring on the top side of the lever that helps to keep the vent in place. These springs can break or pop off of their mounting which would not allow the vent to stay in position. When you move the lever up and down it should sort of snap into position. If it does not, it probably means that the spring is gone or broken.
          Nyles

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎