X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssj335
    Experienced
    • Jul 13 2018

Painting Parts w/Spray Gun

Has anyone ever used a spray gun before? I am always dabbling in new things and one of those things is spray guns. I just got myself a couple of spray gun heads with attached bottles similar to the picture below:

I also got plastic tubing that attached properly to the bottom of the spray gun, and will attach on the other end to a air pressure machine.

Any other parts I will need to make this setup work? Has anyone had success with these? My goal with a future project is to have the ability to remove a white dash pad, and a white center console on a squarebird, and paint it another color using a spray gun.

And there are probably lots of fun things that can be done with a spray gun.

• jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You need a compressor that has a decent capacity as far as a tank goes (at least 20 gallon) so you get a constant pressure. I also recommend an in-line filter and water separator since you live in a high humidity area as I do. To paint items like a dash pad or console you are going through alot of extra expense for nothing. You can get the same or better results just using vinyl spray from a spray can.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• ssj335
      Experienced
      • Jul 13 2018

Hey thanks for the advice. Does anyone make the vinyl paint you mentioned in Indian Turquoise? Or would I have to have someone specially mix that? Would appreciate any guidance as to who to contact for this.

You could be saving me a lot of effort here. =)

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

This is what I used on my '59 interior.

As you can see the match is very close. I sprayed everything but the seats and door panels.

John
        Attached Files

Comment

• ssj335
          Experienced
          • Jul 13 2018

Thanks John. This is great. The webpage makes the color look very close to Indian Turquoise judging by the color of the paint cap!

However, the photo of your interior (beautiful btw!) looks a look more blue. Would you happen to have any other photos of it or is it actually more blue the way it appears?

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's the same as the color on the cap. The florescent lights in my garage make it look bluer. I don't have any outside pictures but it's greener in the sunlight. The seat covers and door panels are the reproduction parts that are Indian turquoise. It's as close a match as you are going to get.

John

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

While ya'll were chatting back and forth, I was on the phone talking with SEM. They do NOT have Indian Turquoise Ford Color Code M1019 in their inventory, but they can create the codes for it with a sample and email the codes to you. Here is what he had to say.

Send SEM Products at least a two inch piece of material of the Indian Turquoise you want them to match. It could be from a seat cover, or a kick panel that you send them. Anything that has the Indian Turquoise Ford Paint Code M1019 you want matched. They will scan that color into their system and email you the Paint codes needed to make that color at no cost to you. They will mail back your sample you sent them. Then you can take those codes to a local paint store and they can make that Indian Turquoise color for you and put it in spray cans for you, at whatever their cost per can is.

He gave me the name and number of a SEM rep on Long Island for you to contact! He said if you have any questions give him a call at SEM at their 800 number and ask for him. If you send any material for matching to them send it to the person in this ATTN: line below...

Dave SEM Paint Products 800-831-1122 - ATTN: Anne Zoelle Dave Seyer LONG Island 973-951-6688

Now, here is the SEM products he said you will need to use before you apply the Indian Turquoise color coat.

39362 - SEM soap - use w/gray scrubpad. Give the material a good scrub. Wipe & dry - Then use 38343 - Vinyl prep - removes solvent based contamination. Wipe off in 1 direction w/damp cloth. Let surface dry. After the surface is dry - Apply color coat of your choice.

He said that you cannot always go by the color of the cap on the can that it will be the correct color you want. It might be close, but maybe not close enough for your liking. However, you do have John's statement that he has used SEM M25013 Marine Vinyl Coat with good results, so that is good to know... So it is possible that you will not have to have Indian Turquoise coded and made up, unless you want to. I would find a can of SEM Marine M25013, Ultra Turquoise, spray it on something, and hold it next to a turquoise item on your Tbird and see how it matches up!

As for the pic of John's interior looking a bit blue, it does to me also, but that might just be the monitor settings, the PC settings, etc.. causing that...

As for the info above, yesss, sometimes I even amaze myself with the information I can come up with... lmbo...

I see John explained why the interior looks blue... the florescent lights in the garage...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• ssj335
                Experienced
                • Jul 13 2018

Wow thanks Ray,

Thanks both of you in fact. I find it amazing that they will do this for me. Excellent option! I am going to give them a call.

Just to be clear - the person I am asking for is named Dave Seyer? Or is it Anne Zoelle? I want to make sure to ask for the correct person.

Thanks for breaking this all down for me, and calling on my behalf. Very kind of you. I will follow the advice of using the 39362 Soap product first. Should I move forward on my plans.

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I've never used their soap product. I just use soap and water with a stiff bristle brush. I do recommend using the vinyl prep.

John

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Kirsten, for more information regarding this your contact is Dave. IF you decide to send them something for them to scan in and get the paint codes for it, send it to Anne Zoelle.

As for what John said about how to clean the object you are going to paint, you could go that route and save a few bucks on buying their Soap product. I asked him what should be used when you first start to prepare for painting it using a SEM product. So he gave me Soap, Prep, and Paint sequences. BTW, many on this Forum have used SEM paints for years with excellent results, IMHO..

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Kirsten,

If you want a sample of the Ultra Turquoise let me know. I have about half a can left. I can spray some on an index card and mail it to you.

John

Comment

• ssj335
                        Experienced
                        • Jul 13 2018

Thanks John! That's a really really kind offer! I had considered buying a can just to test this out, but your offer is much better.

I will send you my address. If you wouldn't mind doing this for me that would be unbelievable! =)

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎