This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Apprentice

SwitchBlade327 is on a distinguished road
Default A/C line replacement?

Trying to figure out how to get to the a/c lines under the dash on a 62 bird, anyone care to clue me in? Trying to get the a/c going again!
Old 08-20-2008, 10:18 PM

Rocketman62 is on a distinguished road

me too....I don't know what the vacuum tank under the hood goes to....
Old 08-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Experienced

Petrolhead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman62 View Post
me too....I don't know what the vacuum tank under the hood goes to....
Mate, sorry, I was supposed to have a look at mine for you. I'm out the shed aftre work tonight (it's 4pm Thursday here), will have a nosey and let you know tomorrow morning. I'll take a photo if it's feasible.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Experienced

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchBlade327 View Post
Trying to figure out how to get to the a/c lines under the dash on a 62 bird, anyone care to clue me in? Trying to get the a/c going again!
Mine's A/c but it works fine and as it all looks a bit scary under there I'm not going to go anywhere near it -leave well enough alone I reckon. Anyhow, I do know that the '62 workshop manual has really good instructions on sorting a/c, with diagrams of where everything goes. I got mine off Larry's, it wasn't horrendously dear and has proved really invaluable during my '62s rebuild/modification.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Experienced

Okay, had a look under the hood, and also in the workshop manual. The fatter vacuum line off the tank goes a T fitting in a vacuum port on the intake manifold. Looking from the front of the engine, it's right next to the left rear corner of the carb mounting flange. It's a square-shaped brass T, the other part of the T feeds vacuum to the brake booster.
The thinner vacuum hose goes through a grommet at the top left-hand corner (passengers's side) of the firewall, and attaches to a contraption on the back of the a/c control panel.
I read up in the workshop manual (two pages, to much for me to type out here) that the a/c heat and vent doors throughout the a/c system are vacuum operated. The contraption at the back of the a/c control panel has the vaccum feed from the black tank going to the centre of it, then two vacuum leads feed back to the various heat/vent doors - one in each footwell, and one somewhere else. As you change the a/c from the 'feet' position the engine vaccum shuts those doors and opens the other. Sorry, it's way to complicated for me to type out so it'll still make sense. Grab a workshop manual, there are four diagrams that show the route of the vacuum hoses, and explains that the vacuum hoses have different colour stripes on them so they're easier to follow.
If you're unable to get a manual PM me and I'll see if I can get the stuff scanned and email it to you next week.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:07 PM

Thumbs up manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolhead View Post
Okay, had a look under the hood, and also in the workshop manual. The fatter vacuum line off the tank goes a T fitting in a vacuum port on the intake manifold. Looking from the front of the engine, it's right next to the left rear corner of the carb mounting flange. It's a square-shaped brass T, the other part of the T feeds vacuum to the brake booster.
The thinner vacuum hose goes through a grommet at the top left-hand corner (passengers's side) of the firewall, and attaches to a contraption on the back of the a/c control panel.
I read up in the workshop manual (two pages, to much for me to type out here) that the a/c heat and vent doors throughout the a/c system are vacuum operated. The contraption at the back of the a/c control panel has the vaccum feed from the black tank going to the centre of it, then two vacuum leads feed back to the various heat/vent doors - one in each footwell, and one somewhere else. As you change the a/c from the 'feet' position the engine vaccum shuts those doors and opens the other. Sorry, it's way to complicated for me to type out so it'll still make sense. Grab a workshop manual, there are four diagrams that show the route of the vacuum hoses, and explains that the vacuum hoses have different colour stripes on them so they're easier to follow.
If you're unable to get a manual PM me and I'll see if I can get the stuff scanned and email it to you next week.
Great stuff...thanks...I did buy a 1962 shop manual but it has no diagram regarding the vacuum lines....are there other manuals that are detailed about these connections with a/c???? thanks much
Old 09-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Apprentice

Can one of you guys with the shop manual tell me how your supposed to unhook the a/c lines under the dash? Still haven't gotten them both out and need to get it finished!
Old 09-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Experienced

I haven't got the manual with me, I'll bring it in to work tomorrow and post the details. It was hard to find in the book, is in the air conditioning chapter, I expected the tank diagrams to be near or in the engine section. Ther are some good exploded views of which lines do what.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchBlade327 View Post
are you talking about the vacuum lines?
Old 09-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Apprentice

Nope, I'm talking about the big high pressure lines coming from the compressor and all that hook up RIGHT behind the firewall under the dash. Haven't been able to figure out how to get the top hose disconnected without tearing the entire dash/underdash out to get to it....