This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
  #1  
Old 08-12-2008, 03:51 PM
SwitchBlade327 SwitchBlade327 is offline
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 1 2008
Posts: 60
SwitchBlade327 is on a distinguished road
Default A/C line replacement?

Trying to figure out how to get to the a/c lines under the dash on a 62 bird, anyone care to clue me in? Trying to get the a/c going again!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Rocketman62 Rocketman62 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 10 2008
Posts: 23
Rocketman62 is on a distinguished road
Default

me too....I don't know what the vacuum tank under the hood goes to....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Petrolhead Petrolhead is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: Jul 2 2007
Posts: 403
Petrolhead is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman62 View Post
me too....I don't know what the vacuum tank under the hood goes to....
Mate, sorry, I was supposed to have a look at mine for you. I'm out the shed aftre work tonight (it's 4pm Thursday here), will have a nosey and let you know tomorrow morning. I'll take a photo if it's feasible.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Petrolhead Petrolhead is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: Jul 2 2007
Posts: 403
Petrolhead is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchBlade327 View Post
Trying to figure out how to get to the a/c lines under the dash on a 62 bird, anyone care to clue me in? Trying to get the a/c going again!
Mine's A/c but it works fine and as it all looks a bit scary under there I'm not going to go anywhere near it -leave well enough alone I reckon. Anyhow, I do know that the '62 workshop manual has really good instructions on sorting a/c, with diagrams of where everything goes. I got mine off Larry's, it wasn't horrendously dear and has proved really invaluable during my '62s rebuild/modification.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Petrolhead Petrolhead is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: Jul 2 2007
Posts: 403
Petrolhead is on a distinguished road
Default

Okay, had a look under the hood, and also in the workshop manual. The fatter vacuum line off the tank goes a T fitting in a vacuum port on the intake manifold. Looking from the front of the engine, it's right next to the left rear corner of the carb mounting flange. It's a square-shaped brass T, the other part of the T feeds vacuum to the brake booster.
The thinner vacuum hose goes through a grommet at the top left-hand corner (passengers's side) of the firewall, and attaches to a contraption on the back of the a/c control panel.
I read up in the workshop manual (two pages, to much for me to type out here) that the a/c heat and vent doors throughout the a/c system are vacuum operated. The contraption at the back of the a/c control panel has the vaccum feed from the black tank going to the centre of it, then two vacuum leads feed back to the various heat/vent doors - one in each footwell, and one somewhere else. As you change the a/c from the 'feet' position the engine vaccum shuts those doors and opens the other. Sorry, it's way to complicated for me to type out so it'll still make sense. Grab a workshop manual, there are four diagrams that show the route of the vacuum hoses, and explains that the vacuum hoses have different colour stripes on them so they're easier to follow.
If you're unable to get a manual PM me and I'll see if I can get the stuff scanned and email it to you next week.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-27-2008, 11:07 PM
Rocketman62 Rocketman62 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 10 2008
Posts: 23
Rocketman62 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolhead View Post
Okay, had a look under the hood, and also in the workshop manual. The fatter vacuum line off the tank goes a T fitting in a vacuum port on the intake manifold. Looking from the front of the engine, it's right next to the left rear corner of the carb mounting flange. It's a square-shaped brass T, the other part of the T feeds vacuum to the brake booster.
The thinner vacuum hose goes through a grommet at the top left-hand corner (passengers's side) of the firewall, and attaches to a contraption on the back of the a/c control panel.
I read up in the workshop manual (two pages, to much for me to type out here) that the a/c heat and vent doors throughout the a/c system are vacuum operated. The contraption at the back of the a/c control panel has the vaccum feed from the black tank going to the centre of it, then two vacuum leads feed back to the various heat/vent doors - one in each footwell, and one somewhere else. As you change the a/c from the 'feet' position the engine vaccum shuts those doors and opens the other. Sorry, it's way to complicated for me to type out so it'll still make sense. Grab a workshop manual, there are four diagrams that show the route of the vacuum hoses, and explains that the vacuum hoses have different colour stripes on them so they're easier to follow.
If you're unable to get a manual PM me and I'll see if I can get the stuff scanned and email it to you next week.
Great stuff...thanks...I did buy a 1962 shop manual but it has no diagram regarding the vacuum lines....are there other manuals that are detailed about these connections with a/c???? thanks much
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-03-2008, 10:54 AM
SwitchBlade327 SwitchBlade327 is offline
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 1 2008
Posts: 60
SwitchBlade327 is on a distinguished road
Default

Can one of you guys with the shop manual tell me how your supposed to unhook the a/c lines under the dash? Still haven't gotten them both out and need to get it finished!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Petrolhead Petrolhead is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: Jul 2 2007
Posts: 403
Petrolhead is on a distinguished road
Default

I haven't got the manual with me, I'll bring it in to work tomorrow and post the details. It was hard to find in the book, is in the air conditioning chapter, I expected the tank diagrams to be near or in the engine section. Ther are some good exploded views of which lines do what.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-09-2008, 08:07 AM
Rocketman62 Rocketman62 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 10 2008
Posts: 23
Rocketman62 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchBlade327 View Post
Trying to figure out how to get to the a/c lines under the dash on a 62 bird, anyone care to clue me in? Trying to get the a/c going again!
are you talking about the vacuum lines?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-12-2008, 04:26 PM
SwitchBlade327 SwitchBlade327 is offline
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 1 2008
Posts: 60
SwitchBlade327 is on a distinguished road
Default

Nope, I'm talking about the big high pressure lines coming from the compressor and all that hook up RIGHT behind the firewall under the dash. Haven't been able to figure out how to get the top hose disconnected without tearing the entire dash/underdash out to get to it....
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 PM.

Driving, racing or working on cars can be hazardous. The procedures and advice on this website including the message board are opinion only. Squarebirds.org and its webmasters and contributors do not guarantee the correctness of the advice and procedures. The Squarebirds.org and its webmasters assume no liability for any damage, fines, punishment, injury or death resulting from following these procedures or advice. If you do not have the skills or tools to repair your car, please consult a professional. By using this site you agree to hold harmless the Squarebirds.org, its authors and its webmasters from any resulting claim and costs that may occur from using the information found on this site.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Any submissions to this site and any post on this site becomes property of Squarebirds.org . The webmasters reserve the right to edit and modify any submissions to this site. All material on this is site is copyrighted by the Squarebirds.org. Reproduction by any means other than for personal use is strictly prohibited. Permission to use material on this site can be obtained by contacting the webmasters. Copyright 2002-2016 by Squarebirds.org.