Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newstart18
    • Jun 17 2010

Vent window and exterior door handle replacement

Hello, I am trying to replace the vent windows and exterior door handles on my 1960 T-Bird. What I thought would be very easy has turned out to be anything but. I got the interior door panels off, but past that I am lost. I removed the bolts that hold the vent windows in place, but cannot get the windows out. There are threaded stems that stick through the holes in the door frame that keep me from being able to pull the window frame out. I can hardly even move it. Even the door handles were a bear, but at least I got those done. The interior screw was very difficult to reach. Can anyone help me with the vent windows? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Hey Andy,
    Them threaded studs are your adjustments for you window! It will come out, take you a small flashlight and look down inside door and see what is binding!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

Get the proper sized allen wrench and turn all three of those "threaded stems" in (clockwise) at least a half inch or more, so you have some wiggle room. Plus there is one long bolt a few inches under the vent window that has to be completely removed, but you probably already know that.

When I overhauled my windows last winter, one side came out easy, and the other one was pinched in there pretty tight. It just the "luck of the draw" I guess.

Get yourself a Shop Manual for your car if you dont have one yet. It's full of all the tricks....
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• newstart18
        • Jun 17 2010

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord
        Hey Andy,
        Them threaded studs are your adjustments for you window! It will come out, take you a small flashlight and look down inside door and see what is binding!
        Richard D. Hord
        Thanks Richard. I tried turning the studs, one was very hard to turn, and one won't budge (it is the one at the top). If I can't turn this one, I am going nowhere. It's either rusted or a burr is holding it up (since it's internal, I can't see it.) I'll keep at it and maybe try to shoot some WD40 on it and hope for the best. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

• newstart18
          • Jun 17 2010

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
          Get the proper sized allen wrench and turn all three of those "threaded stems" in (clockwise) at least a half inch or more, so you have some wiggle room. Plus there is one long bolt a few inches under the vent window that has to be completely removed, but you probably already know that.

When I overhauled my windows last winter, one side came out easy, and the other one was pinched in there pretty tight. It just the "luck of the draw" I guess.

Get yourself a Shop Manual for your car if you dont have one yet. It's full of all the tricks....
          Thanks Dakota. As I told Richard, one of the studs won't budge at all (it is the one at the top). It's likely rusted or corroded (since it's internal, I can't see it.) I'll keep at it and maybe try to shoot some WD40 on it and hope for the best. Otherwise, I think I'm stuck. Any other ideas on a lubricant/rust solvent for the threads? Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Hey Andy,
            Knocker loose is a good brand. WD-40 will help but as said before it is a water dispersant!
            Attached Files

Comment

• Dakota Boy
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 30 2009

I was lucky enough to get my vent window assemblies OUT of the doors, but had to get medieval with the MAP gas torch on a few of those threaded stems.

Once I got them free, I cleaned the threads with a tap/die, and then coated the threads with anti-sieze before reassembling.

If you want to discuss vent/side/quarter window repair etc etc you can PM me and then we can chat over the phone.
              I just finished mine this Spring, so the learning and suffering is still fresh in my mind.
              http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• newstart18
                • Jun 17 2010

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
                I was lucky enough to get my vent window assemblies OUT of the doors, but had to get medieval with the MAP gas torch on a few of those threaded stems.

Once I got them free, I cleaned the threads with a tap/die, and then coated the threads with anti-sieze before reassembling.

If you want to discuss vent/side/quarter window repair etc etc you can PM me and then we can chat over the phone.
                I just finished mine this Spring, so the learning and suffering is still fresh in my mind.
                Well, it continues. I have replacement vent windows with all the bolts and threaded studs included, and they are in GREAT shape. So, I decided to cut the top stud on the existing window off with a sawzall since I could not get it to budge with anything. After doing this, I STILL can't get the vent window out. I see no way to remove it without first removing the side windows - and I can't tell how to get those out either. Am I missing something? Is it necessary to remove the side window in order to get the vent window out?

Comment

Hey Andy,
                  You cannot take vent window out with out removing side window!
                  Richard D. Hord

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎