X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • partsetal
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 4 2005

Trunk Boards, 1960 Convertible

I recently ordered a set of trunk boards and vinyl mat from Rock Auto to install in a 1960 Convertible. These are made by Auto Custom Carpet. What arrived was a set of boards and vinyl mat printed in the correct 1960 pattern, but the boards were cut in the 58-9 design and unable to be used in the '60. I contacted Rock Auto and they indicated they had sold several sets, but I was the first with a problem. I provided pictures of what they sent alongside a used correct set from a '60 Convertible which they forwarded to ACC. ACC now has turned the project over to Product Development to come up with new boards, no time frame provided.
    Am I the only one to experience this problem? Are the other ones Rock Auto sold setting unused on a shelf somewhere?
    Are there other manufacturers of these trunk lining kits?
    Carl
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Trunk Boards, 1960 Convertible

It is my understanding that a number of Tbird parts houses, including the Bird Nest, get their trunk boards from Larry's Thunderbird Parts and Tbird Hqs both who, I am told, make their own sets. I am told that Larry's has a different stock number for the 1960 set from the 1958-1959 set. They are aware that there is a difference in the trunk boards on the 1960 Convertibles, and that is probably because the 1960 Convertible top set up is different from that of 1958-1959. So you might need to contact Larry's Thundebird Parts or Tbird Hqs for the correct set.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

I know that Auto Custom Carpet is huge for replacement carpet.

It may be that they are totally unaware of the difference between the '59 & '60, but it's guys like you who set them straight.

I ran into that with certain glass guys. They are always looking for correct patterns.

I would be surprised if you don't get satisfaction out of ACC. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I bought my '59 trunk kit from Rock Auto (ACC) and the quality and fit was excellent. It could be just an isolated case of someone using the wrong pattern when they stamped the card boards. I'm sure ACC will make it right.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Dakota Boy
          Super-Experienced
          • Jun 30 2009

It still amazes me that there are companies out there making parts for these old cars. I suppose there is a profit to be made yet.
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• guy7981
            • Dec 12 2014

does anyone have pictures of 60 convertible trunk completed ,not sure how the lining fits around all the screw downs and hydrolytic . is a jigsaw puzzle

Comment

• Tbird1044
              Super-Experienced
              • Jul 31 2012

I'll attach a pic I found on the net. Also found a web site that may be of use. You may try to contact the guy that posted pics of his trunk liner install: http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.ne...pic.php?t=7476

Nyles
              Attached Files

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Unfortunately that's not a real car. That's the Danbury mint model. I guess it's pretty lifelike.

John

Comment

• tbird430
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 18 2007

I wonder what the 1960 boards look like in AAC's original style "burtex" trunk mat kit??

-Jon in TX.
                  sigpic
                  The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I believe the boards are the same same regardless of whether you order vinyl or burtex. Only the material of the mat is different.

John

Comment

• toddgilroy
                      Experienced
                      • Aug 30 2014

I have the Burtex trunk mat/board kit, so I have been trying to find a Burtex spare tire cover (without much luck). I have found a source for a sheet of Burtex material and am thinking an upholstery shop can make one for me.

Before I go to that effort, I had ACC send me samples of Burtex and the vinyl/fleece material. There is a slight color difference between the two. Burtex on the right and fleece on the left.
                      Attached Files
                      Todd Gilroy
                      1960 Tbird Convertible
                      Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍