Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

Aaaaaaaah . . . a Thunderbird engine bay . . . Never seen a bare one of those before . . . yeah right. Don't fall in the hole !!!

Very cool !!! I would LOVE a 430 car !!!! 350 HP? So under rated. Prob closer to 400 . . . And about 500 ft lbs of torque. So me . . . not being a 430 guy. What is the point of that external oil pump (or whatever)?

Very nice work though. Great pics. Keep us informed.

NO replacement for displacement !!!!

Comment

John remember this!!!

An original 430 car would be sweet. It's only more valuable (if) it's original. As far as changing over to one . . . Naaaaaaaaa!!! Bang for the buck, a 390 is WAAAY better. 430's are BIG bucks to rebuild, even if you are a machinist. Pistons alone can be $800 They were a torque monster, meant for a much heavier car than a TB (Hard to imagine huh?) In all fairness, I'd like to see a 430 go by my 390. I can pretty much say with confidence, thats not going to happen.
      You could dress a 390 or 428 up like a 352. They are all externally identical. No one would be the wiser, unless the start checking casting #'s . . . Or until they see you put your foot in it. Then put a C6 behind it . . . And you'd have fast bulletproof drivetrain. With that and the discs and swaybars . . . . . One heck of a roadcar (sleeper). That's what I'm after (Almost there)
      And you were right!

Comment

• tbird430
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 18 2007

I'm learning every day about this "pump" John B.

The 430cid's had a vacuum pump that ran off the oil pump INSIDE the motor. It supplied the vacuum assist for the w/s wiper system on the Thunderbirds. Who knows what the Lincolns used it ALL for. The plumbing (steel lines) ran outside the block on the left side and.... To the w/s wiper motor??? Mine is missing some of the original parts. My wiper motor vacuum line runs off the power brake booster steel vacuum line on top of the motor (like the 352cid's).
        sigpic
        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• GTE427
          Super-Experienced
          • Oct 9 2007

My understanding is the wipers operate from manifold vacuum at idle and low rpms as that's when manifold vacuum is highest. As rpms increase and vacuum decreases, there's insufficient vacuum to run the wipers. At this time when rpms are higher, the oil pump's rpms are high. The 430 has a oil pump mounted/driven vacuum pump that provides the needed vacuum to drive the wipers when manifold vacuum is too low. On the 430, there are two vacuum lines that run thru the firewall to the wiper motor, there's a switch that senses the high vacuum source and switches to it, I believe.

Also included is a vacuum check valve ( Ford Part number B9S-9328-A) located at the block skirt where the vacuum line starts, this switch is a service item that when bad, will allow oil to be drawn thru the vacuum tubing into your fuel mixture and you have a smoker. The vacuum pumps also fail and cause slow wipers at high rpms.

The FE's have the two stage fuel pump, fuel pump/vacuum pump. I'm quessing that due to the location of the 430's fuel pump mounting on TOP of the front cover, there's not enough hood clearance for the two stage fuel pump and the oil pump driven vacuum pump was the remedy to this.

This vacuum pump is covered in the shop manual with illustrations.
          Attached Files
          Ken
          1959 J Convertible
          1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• GTE427
            Super-Experienced
            • Oct 9 2007

Some additional pictures of the steel vacuum line and the vacuum switch.
            Attached Files
            Ken
            1959 J Convertible
            1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• tbird430
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 18 2007

WOW!!! Pretty cool pics GTE427.
              sigpic
              The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎