Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hawkrod
    Experienced
    • Oct 31 2005

I am sorry you guys see this as a squabble or see my comments as dismissive. I am not interested in personal stuff. I am only interested in facts and reality. Posting erroneous information only causes it to gain acceptance. In my opinion, it is very important to correct misinformation before some less experienced enthusiasts find it and accept it as truth. In this age of information, posting on a web site gives credence to much that is not correct. It is hard enough for enthusiasts to find correct information but it becomes an insurmountable task when the only answers they find are not correct. As a senior judge it has been my experience to have to deduct points on the show field because of common misinformation. It does nobody any good to let it go. In fact, it can be helpful to correct misinformation when somebody is trying to do research and they find the correct information and they get it right instead of spending vast sums of money for incorrect parts. I have been in this industry for over 3 decades and trust me, nothing has ever changed, It is still all about the cars. Hawkrod

Comment

• byersmtrco
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 28 2004

Ok ok. Whatever. I'm WASTING too much time on this one. As far as it goes, about the only use I would have for a 352 is maybe if I had an old Ford farm truck, to drive around the fields in. Maybe in a prestine totally unmolested museum piece car, but other than that . . . For something I drive and go out and embarass 5.0 Mustang's and an occasional Chevelle with . . . No use for one.

Here is an exerpt right out of Ford's archives;

"The first series of FE engines was the 332 V-8 destined for the bottom line Edsel car of 1958. It didn't get there. Instead the 332 went over to the Ford line in 1958. This competent engine had a 4 inch bore and a 3.30 inch stroke; in Police vehicles it was the "Interceptor." By stroking the 332, Ford got the 352, with the same 4 inch bore but a 3.50 stroke. In 1958, it was called the "Police Interceptor" and produced 300 horsepower.

There was another engine that was available in the Ford and Edsel line. It was the 361! No, it wasn't stolen from Chrysler. Not much is ever mentioned about this engine. It was originally destined solely for the Edsel line. However, since it was just a bored 352, it fit right well in the Ford line. This engine produced 303 horsepower and was also dubbed the "Police Interceptor." Indiana State Police equipped their 1958 Fords with the 361. "

I did not know about a 361 !!!!

Have a nice day

Comment

john,
        Whatta ya know about the 428?
        Is it worth while to seek out a CJ.Will the exhaust clear the steering box?Year better than another?

Comment

• FeFranco
          Experienced
          • Jan 13 2007

Hey Guapo,
          If you get those headers from FPA (in Seattle area), you will be fine with the 428.
          FeFranco (aka Cobra Jet Kid Jr.)

Comment

• Hawkrod
            Experienced
            • Oct 31 2005

Originally posted by byersmtrco
            Ok ok. Whatever. I'm WASTING too much time on this one. As far as it goes, about the only use I would have for a 352 is maybe if I had an old Ford farm truck, to drive around the fields in. Maybe in a prestine totally unmolested museum piece car, but other than that . . . For something I drive and go out and embarass 5.0 Mustang's and an occasional Chevelle with . . . No use for one.

Here is an exerpt right out of Ford's archives;

"The first series of FE engines was the 332 V-8 destined for the bottom line Edsel car of 1958. It didn't get there. Instead the 332 went over to the Ford line in 1958. This competent engine had a 4 inch bore and a 3.30 inch stroke; in Police vehicles it was the "Interceptor." By stroking the 332, Ford got the 352, with the same 4 inch bore but a 3.50 stroke. In 1958, it was called the "Police Interceptor" and produced 300 horsepower.

There was another engine that was available in the Ford and Edsel line. It was the 361! No, it wasn't stolen from Chrysler. Not much is ever mentioned about this engine. It was originally destined solely for the Edsel line. However, since it was just a bored 352, it fit right well in the Ford line. This engine produced 303 horsepower and was also dubbed the "Police Interceptor." Indiana State Police equipped their 1958 Fords with the 361. "

I did not know about a 361 !!!!

Have a nice day

I am sorry to keep wasting your time but the quote you provided is from modern times. It is not an original reference and is incorrect. If you would please provide the reference source (Ford archives is not a reference, as there are more than one) I would be happy to contact them and provide documentation so they could correct their error. The problem with people summarizing history is they do not always document and verify their information and this is a perfect example of why it is so important to make sure the correct information is disseminated. I would suggest that if you have a 1958 Ford shop manual, or car facts buyers guide, that you may want to look up the FE engines and see how Ford referred to them. Hawkrod

1958 sales literature:

Comment

• byersmtrco
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 28 2004

Originally posted by El Guapo
              john,
              Whatta ya know about the 428?
              Is it worth while to seek out a CJ.Will the exhaust clear the steering box?Year better than another?
              The CJ manifs won't clear. I'd love to see a pic, if someone has one of he headers installed. Those old 'log" manifs have to be restrictive. But boy, that strg gear is 1/4" away. I'd love to hear any other ideas.
              Now here's my thought. I have the old 390 that came out of my car. It's never been bored. It has more miles on it than the Space Shuttle, but the bottom end has never been apart. It has the original 352 TB heads on it. I have acces to a 428 crank. That makes a 410 stroker right? has anyone tried that?

I would LOVE to have a 428 CJ with a C6. (Even a std issue 428) And the C6 is the way to go. It sounds like a bolt in with just a few mods.
              I'm open to suggestions.

Comment

Just found a freshly rebuilt 428 CJ '69 with rebuilt c6.Beautiful motor.Only problem it's 5k.A stroker's looking better every time I price these things.Thats like buying a new marine motor.
                If you got the funds checkout Seattle.s craigslist (428).
                Swap meet this weekend.Taking a bunch of bird and 350 marine parts see what I can trade for.
                Check this out.
                Last edited by Guest; October 4, 2007, 09:01 PM.

Comment

• FeFranco
                  Experienced
                  • Jan 13 2007

On Saturday I will attempt to take some pictures of the headers on my TBird if you can wait. I will start a new thread. El Guapo, by the way, did you say $5000 for a rebuilt 428 CJ and rebuilt C6? Either it's stolen, fake, incomplete, or your last chance for a good deal!

Comment

I guess it is a good deal.Just comparing it to a marine 350 mag mpi I bought for my boat last year for 3500.That had 0 hrs on a fresh rebuild with manifolds and risers EFI MPI system. brain.Plenty of power for a 6ooo lb boat and runs like a Rolex.Marine manifolds are bronze lined.marine starter heavy duty crank.
                    Jeeeez!

Comment

• byersmtrco
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 28 2004

That is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET !!!!!!!!!!!!

I want (need) that . . . Then you will have to have some SERIOUS smoke to go by that ol Ford !!

A 410 should run . . .

Here we go again . . .

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎