X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

Power Window Motors

Well, after rebuilding all 4 of my power seat motors, I took one my first power window motor today. I thought they might be the same motor, but they are not. The p/s motors have the brushes in the bottom of the motor and the p/w motors have the brushes in the top. I did break one of the brush holders taking it apart, but will be more careful on the remaining 3 motors. I am very thankful for the info in the TRL which saved me from making more mistakes. So far, the motors have all looked pretty good, only needing minor cleaning and a lot of lubrication. It appears there is a felt type washer behind the shaft bearings to hold oil for lubrication. I am adding some oil to this area, hoping that it will retain the oil for lubrication. I guess time will tell how I did. Have any of you had any experience with the lubrication for the bearings of p/w and p/s motors?

Nyles
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Nyles, my hat goes off to you for refurbishing your own motors. These small DC motors don't get much use but their age proves their quality. I have never seen the brushes wear out.

Like all electric motors, they get dirty inside. (Starter motors get real bad but nobody ever services them before failure.) Too much bearing oil only leaks out, then serves to catch and hold more dirt and pieces of carbon brush material. So, sometimes less is more.

It is important to clean out all the loose junk and grease. If the commutator segments look straight DO NOT sand the contact surface. As current arcs across a carbon brush, it embeds fine graphite into the copper. This helps to lubricate the commutator surface which makes it last longer. Carbon is highly conductive.

Oil and grease arcing on the commutator creates a nasty glaze that stops current from flowing in areas. This causes the copper segments to taper, cup, wear egg-shaped or simply stop working.

These motors rarely rotate twenty times per day. Try to keep water and dirt out by sealing any holes on door motors. Seat motors live in a more friendly environment.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

The door motors are definitely sealed a lot better than the seat motors, especially where the wires enter the motors. I am making sure that I have a good seal on these motors to keep water out. Even the frame seam of the door motors was sealed with a tape. Assuming they are original motors, 53 years is a pretty good run.
      Nyles

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎