X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 60 T-Bird
    Experienced
    • Jun 2 2010

Anyone seen a booster like this?

This what came with my 60 bird, It is rumored that a few of these cars came with this type. Maybe because my car was originally a 430. I'm wondering if I should rebuild this or retro the under the dash type. Apparently this was also used in the 57 Catalac...Any thoughts?
    Attached Files
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

That's a new one on me.

I'm a 2nd owner 1960 430cid Bird man too...

Looks like something out of a Lincoln to me. Or a truck hydroboost???
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
      Experienced
      • Jun 2 2010

I found another clue. There is a compression fit union from the master cylinder to the Hydrovac. This indicates to me that it use to have a Kelsey-Hays under-dash unit and it was changed. After talking to a booster rebuilder, I was informed that up until 10 years ago diaphrams for the K-H boosters were impossible to get. So somebody swapped it out. I'll see if the bracketry is still under the dash. If so, I will go back to it. If not, I will dismantle the Hydrovac and see what shape it's in. The **** rebuild kit is $150 for a couple of gaskets and a small valve...rediculous!
      "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• partsetal
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 4 2005

Since you've got A/C, the car was equipped with the Kelsey Hayes under dash unit if it had the a/c and the p/b as original equipment. The kits for the K-H booster are now available for around 75.00
        Carl

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
          Experienced
          • Jun 2 2010

Originally posted by partsetal
          Since you've got A/C, the car was equipped with the Kelsey Hayes under dash unit if it had the a/c and the p/b as original equipment. The kits for the K-H booster are now available for around 75.00
          Carl
          Hi Carl...Ya...I looked under the dash (or where it was before removing it) and the brake pedal arm and "Y" off of it 1/2 way down the arm with pin is still there. The K-H unit is gone. So I would have to find a core first. I'm sure this Bendix use to work fine and still may. It would be nice to use the under the dash unit if I could find one. ...Martin

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
            Experienced
            • Jun 2 2010

Saw this unit on e-bay. It is an 8" dual diaphram/dual cylinder. Would this fit with air conditioning? Has anyone tried these?
            Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Is that a High and Low pressure Power Steering hose going to your booster? I sure don't see any vacuum lines.

Different cars used this type of system on big GM cars (like Cadillac). The only problem comes when your engine shuts off. No more power steering or power brakes. Same thing if a hose breaks.

I believe your eBay picture is exactly what David Jones bought and sent back to ABS. (He couldn't get it to work.) Others have successfully used it with A/C but ended up shimming the firewall bracket away from the plenum.
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎