No announcement yet.

Heater hot water control valve

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heater hot water control valve

In regards to my 59 Bird: The original (seemingly) hot water control valve assembly is corroded beyong all recognition. This elaborate valve consists of a cable actuator with a bi-metalic assist that is fastened to the heater core. I've not seen a reasonable duplicate for sale. Replacements I've seen consist of a cable actuated valve installed in the engine bay (which doesn't thrill me) or a reasonably priced vacuum-actuated valve that attaches to the heater core much like the original hot water valve. My question is - which none of the major Thunderbird parts suppliers can answer - what is the mechanism that must be used with this vacuum-actuated valve suchthat it can be opened and closed from the existing heater cable? It would seem that the existing cable must actuate a mechanism that aligns vacuum to the vacuum-actuated hot water valve in order to send hot water to the heater core. Nobody appears to sell this "mechanism".
    Can anybody point me to a new original valve (<$100) or a way to retrofit the vacuum actuated valve. Thanks for any help!!
  • KULTULZ

RE: Heater hot water control valve

Go Here;

My cataloging for a 1960 BIRD (as far back as it goes) shows B7A 18495-A as the correct replacement. It sould also work on a 58/59 BIRD. It is a 57/58 FORD Service Part.

Comment

Thanks....I'll check the site out. The part # you referenced is likely the cable-actuated valve that is located in the engine bay - which ultimately may be what I have to settle for.

Comment

• KULTULZ

Yes...it will be cable actuated. But if you want vacuum controlled, you will have to supply a vacuum source to keep the valve open. On later models, that control valve is located in the heater controls. You slide the kbob for heat/cold. That meters manifold vacuum to the valve to open/close it. Would not be a factory installation.

If you keep the coolant balance fresh (50/50) and change it every few years, the corrosion problem will be nil.

Comment

KULTULZ,

We are zeroing in on a possible solution. The cable actuated device that you mentioned, which controls vacuum to the vacuum actuated water control valve (which I recently purchased), is what I need. I've a vacuum hose penetrating the passenger side of the firewall now so this approach sounds reasonable.
          I'm being overly picky about extraneous stuff in my engine bay which is why I'm opting for the vacuum approach.

Again, I appeciate your help and patience.

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

I am not sure why you want to go through the non-stock vacuum approach when the stock heater control valve is sold as a reproduction. I works reasonably well. Most Thunderbird suppliers carry them.

Thunderbird Connection has them for $65.

Alexander
            1959 Hardtop
            1960 Golde Top
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

Alexander,
              The part you are referring to is "non-stock" as well. It is a cable actuated valve that will reside in the engine bay. The "stock" valve was affixed directly to the heater core and was cable operated - with a bi-metalic thermostat. I purchased a vacuum operated valve that attaches to the heater core - and was told that it was a replacement for the "overly complicated" original. So, I'm inquiring to the gurus on this site as to the options available to me and the legitimacy of the claim that a vacuum operated valve was the replacement. I'm not building a perfect original car (rather a mild custom), just want the most functional, user friendly, sanitary set-up.....And I'm also very wet behind the ears when it comes to squarebirds!

Thanks for any/all help.

Comment

• KULTULZ

I am a little out of my expertise here as I have never been in the heater of a SQUAREBIRD. What I have here is a FORD Master Parts Catalog and the illustration is not that concise. It shows a control valve (18495) and also a temperature regulator valve (18502). I also see where the vacuum line comes into the equation.

The actual control asm. would have to be changed to get the vacuum actuated controls to operate these valves by vacuum. A big task as it would entail a lot of fabricating.

I am with Alexander on this one. If the correct replacement parts are available, I would simply keep the setup as it came from the factory.

It is OK to modify a BIRD (my opinion only), but it should be done in a away as not to hurt the car or the value of the car if you someday want to sell it.

Comment

• Alexander
                  Webmaster
                  • Oct 30 2002

I spoke with Bob of Bob's Bird House today. He tells me that indeed what is sold as a heater control valve kit for a 1958-60 for $69 is a cable-actuated manual control valve. It works like a manual choke. Bob does have one NOS original heater control valve for $95. You can contact him at 610-258-3420.

Alexander
                  1959 Hardtop
                  1960 Golde Top
                  Alexander
                  1959 Hard Top
                  1960 Golde Top
                  sigpic

Comment

>I spoke with Bob of Bob's Bird House today. He tells me that
                    >indeed what is sold as a heater control valve kit for a
                    >1958-60 for $69 is a cable-actuated manual control valve. It
                    >works like a manual choke. Bob does have one NOS original
                    >heater control valve for $95. You can contact him at
                    >610-258-3420.
                    >
                    >Alexander
                    >1959 Hardtop
                    >1960 Golde Top

I knew I shoulda grabbed that one I saw on Ebay last week. :\

Comment

Reading through this post, I suddenly remembered talking to Alan Tast a while back about installing A/C in my '58 on another board. He explained a few things about how the heater controls worked, which prompted me to further investigate this.

What Bob's Bird House (among others) is selling is a cable operated replacement for the complicated original vacuum setup. While it is much simplier, it isn't how the original controls worked. Since the original poster is looking for the easiest fix, the cable operated valve would be the way to go

The following is all academic.

A Thermostat Control sits in front of the heatercore, and monitors the temperature (can be seen in the shop manual, though no part number is given). This is what I believe the original poster is refering to (can be seen in the shop manual).

As mentioned previously, the controls do include valve assm part numbers: 18495 and 18502, which are vacuum operated. There is no fabricating involved to install these parts (these parts were also used on the Baby Birds). In other words, if your Bird already has a cable controled valve like the one Alexander described, it was IMO installed as a replacement for the entire original heater temperature control/monitoring system.

A good example of this can be found in the T-Bird Sanctuary's Illustrations catalog on page A-53 (58-60 Non A/C Heater System).

Dennis Carpenter Reproductions sells 18495 and 18502 (they're listed as 55-57 parts) new repro. Both retail for $75.00 ea.

Comment

Gentlemen All,

Thanks for your insight and help!

Again, the mighty Bird is going to cost me $$$.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎