No announcement yet.

Nascar Squarebird

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nascar Squarebird

I know that there is one of eight Holman/Moody prepared '59 T-birds in a Daytona Car museum.That one is #64, a zipper top raced both as a Hardtop and a convertible.Probably a more famous of the group is # 73 which was declared the winner at the inaugural Daytona 500.I have talked to the Burdick family about this car and found out it is also a zipper-top! What do you think would be the difficulty in reproducing that car starting with an ordinary but solid parts car? Does anone know who restored the #64 to learn the special parts (spindles,brakes,air shocks,15in wheels,etc.)Holman/Moody used to assemble this factory racer.
    Birdboy
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Nascar Squarebird

There has not been a lot published about what the exact parts were that went into these NASCAR 'birds. It is probably worth your while to go see the #64 car. It was recently auctioned. It may now be in private hands. I have heard that the zipper top on these cars was rather crudely done, but I have not seen any details of how it was done.

As far as mechanical parts, you should be able to duplicate the look of the car even if you don't use the exact pieeces that the originals did.

It sounds like an interesting project.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

The practicality of this project hinges on taking an affordable parts car(Plain Jane 352 auto) and swapping in the 430.
      Just what transmission bolts up to a 430 anyway.Was it the same that was used with the 352? Does it have a different bellhousing than an 430 auto? I have located a T-Bird 430 and Cruise-O-matic. Also I've located a rusty but complete 352 stick set up. What peices am I missing?
      Also how do you change the 14in wheels and brakes to 15in with a different bolt circle?
      I don't think I can get to Daytona this year. I sure would like to see some pictures of the cut lines and way the top is bolted back on.

Birdboy

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

The 430 Engine used a Cruise-o-matic just like the 352, but the 430 transmission is a large case design while the 352 uses the medium case design . They are very different.

The 430 is a very tight fit in the Squarebird. I saw a fiend of mine put one in his. Make sure you get the motor mounts for the 430 engine. They are different than the ones on the 352.

The Ford 15 inch wheels use the same bolt pattern as the 14 inch wheels. Ford rims of this type are common. They were used until the 1990's. They will just bolt on. I know several people that are running 15 inch rims on their Squarebird.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

Alexander,
          Thanks for the great information.I've restored a '57,'63 and a'66. Time for me to learn about '58-60.
          What is the best way to update the brakes on these cars? Would the front discs and rear drums of a '65-66 T-Bird bolt on?
          Maybe something you could ask your friend. The space between the firewall and the rear of the engine seems excessive. Could that heavy 430 be moved back in the body?
          Birdboy

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

The space in back of the engine is so that the air conditioner evaporator can sit in that depression in the firewall. I have never seen anyone move the engine back.

I know that some of the later spindles interchange for the squarebird to convert them for disk brakes, but I am not sure which. I can ask my mechanic friend who has several Squarebirds and later 'Bird.

This company offers disk brake kits for the Squarebirds: http://www.mpbrakes.com/

Alexander
            1959 Hardtop
            1960 Golde Top
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

Alexander,
              Do think you could find me a name of the new owner of #64. Also I would like to chat with your friend who swapped in a 430. If they would email their telephone I would give them a call. They could save me alot of trail and error.
              Thanks.
              warpe003@umn.edu

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎