Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

.125" is MUCH thicker than the steel Ford used and it should work perfectly. Remember to support your floor/body and check for door fitment before you weld. We have had bodies sag so much, the doors wouldn't close. The new channels should straighten this out.

If you think about it, this beam is the end of your torque box, and the beginning of your body rails. If you have metal to replace in the front sub-frame, weld it to your new channel. Space your welds close.

New outer rocker panels will hide the side rails for a finished appearance. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• lawyercalif
      Experienced
      • May 12 2011

Twotone, please take pictures as you go so you can share the repair with the rest of us.

Comment

• twotone
        • Dec 30 2011

I will brother i have some heavy rot.I removed the steering linkage and found holes were mice got in and had a pillow case full of stuff in the frame.So i have frame work to do.
        Last edited by YellowRose; January 19, 2012, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• Restifier52
          Experienced
          • Jul 26 2011

Lots of rockers in Detroit. Mitch Ryder and Bob Seger just to mention a couple.
          1960 HT
          Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

• lawyercalif
            Experienced
            • May 12 2011

TwoTone, how is the inner rocker repairs coming? Just curious and wanting to let you know that if you have any questions we are here to help.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Restifier52
              Lots of rockers in Detroit. Mitch Ryder and Bob Seger just to mention a couple.
              Don't forget Glenn Frey (from Royal Oak) the Eagles, Alice Cooper, Sonny Bono and Francis Ford Coppola. I went to Berkley High with Marshall Crenshaw (yep that's his real name). Tom Selleck, Madonna,Casey Kasem, most of the Motown stars including Berry Gordy, Jr, Diana Ross & Stevie Wonder, Harry Morgan, Ted Nugent, Kid Rock (owner of "Made in Detroit"),Sugar Ray Robinson, Della Reese, Gilda Radner & Lily Tomlin, Smokey Robinson, George 'The Animal' Steel (who teaches wrestling two miles from my house in Madison Hgts.), Alexander's idol -Charles A. Lindbergh and our biggest Rock Stars... four generations of The Henry Ford Family; all from Detroit. I'm sure I forgot some like Lee Majors, Judge Mathis, Ed McMahon, George Peppard, and the David Spade.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• toddgilroy
                Experienced
                • Aug 30 2014

Finally some good news on this restoration. Cut away the outer rocker and some other shoddy patchwork metal and was pleasantly surprised to find 2x3 rectangular steel tube running the length of the driver's side.

When you find body work like that fender bottom under the paint and filler, you wonder what else you will find.
                Attached Files
                Todd Gilroy
                1960 Tbird Convertible
                Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

The addition of that beam makes the structure of your floor even stronger than OEM. It's a 'must have' for convertibles.

I think the common size that most restorers use on Squarebirds is a 2" X 4" channel. I'm sure either will do just fine. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎