X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Dave
    Apprentice
    • Oct 4 2007

Setting Timing - Under Load?

In my continuing quest to resolve the lingering hesitation off the line, I've adjusted the timing on my '58 by connecting a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold and advancing the distributor until I reach about 20" steady vacuum with the transmission in park. The manual says to set the parking brake and place the transmission in drive while setting the timing.

I'm sure there's a good reason for doing so, but is my failure to time the car while in park a potential source of poor performance? Thanks - Dave

Dave believe it or not I cured my hesitation problem by simply adding a few drops of oil to the wadding inside the distributor center post,under the rotor.My vacuum advance plate was sticking.

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

Dave:

There's also a small oil fill cap on the side of the distributor (at least there is on my 60) that you need to put some oil into every oil change, as well as some oil in the felt under the rotor, as George said.

That small fill cap is spring loaded and is very tough to see on the side of the distributor. I had to use a little tiny metal oil can. Some of us can remember those small oiling cans -- hard to find one now.
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430
      Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

What he said. Chk those adv plates!!! Old Ford's are notorious for those sticking.

Eng idling, in Park, vac adv discon & plugged. 8-10 deg before TDC. Try 10 1st. If she pings, back it down to 8.

Comment

• Big Dave
          Apprentice
          • Oct 4 2007

Thanks for all the good advice. I put some oil in both places and checked the movement of the advance plates with a handheld vacuum. The plate is a litter jerky as it returns to its default position when the vacuum is released, but I'm hoping the oil will help.

I'm glad that I can set the timing with the car in park. Now if I can just find the timing marks...

Thanks again for your help. The car is going to be in my sister's wedding in a couple of weeks, and I'm (possibly overly) optimistic that I'll have the last few bugs worked out by then.

Comment

Dave the timing marks are on the passenger side of the harmonic balancer.There is one longer marker and three smaller ones.The long one is 10 deg.btdc.

Comment

• Big Dave
              Apprentice
              • Oct 4 2007

I've got the car so that it idles well and the response from the accelerator seems to have improved (while in idle). When I try to back out of the garage, however, the car dies as soon as it is placed in gear. Any thoughts?

Thanks! Dave

Comment

Idle too low??

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Setting Timing - Under Load?

Hi Dave,

I have the same problem you do when I go to put my Bird back in her nest. My garage space is narrow because of a big, long set of drawers on the left side. I would get rid of those drawers if I could figure out what to do with all the stuff that is in them and on top of them! So I have to be careful when I put the car in the garage that I get it in just right so I can get out of the car once I get it in. My Bird was dying on me also at times until we adjusted the idle a bit higher. The other thing I did was to use low gear. I am riding the brake when I take it in because ahead of me is the dryer on the right side and I dont want to run into that. It is a tight fit to get her back into her nest. So adjust the idle up a bit, and try low gear too.

Ray
                  '59 "Yellow Rose" VTCI #11178

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                  Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Big Dave
                    Apprentice
                    • Oct 4 2007

Thanks for the help. I can report that it was a very long, but ultimately gratifying weekend. I went through the carburetor again and attempted to make all of the prescribed adjustments. I also replaced the gasket between the intake manifold and the spacer (it was leaking). When I put everything back together - the car wouldn't idle for more than a couple seconds! I finally noticed that the primary fuel bowl was empty and replaced the power valve. It's the little things...

It's still backfiring through the exhaust a little at idle, but I think I can back out the idle adjustment screws to richen the mixture.

Anyway, now that I'm back to a reasonably steady idle, I'm concerned about throwing it into gear when the car is idling too high. I tried it once and broke the wheels loose backing out. Not so cool in a very tight garage. Could this be a transmission issue?

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎