X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deanj
    Super-Experienced
    • Nov 26 2015

Glovebox Lock

Another lesson learned-because I like everything to work whether I'll use-it or not. The glovebox latch and lock was replaced previous to my ownership of my 1960. After cruising Youtube I thought I'd pull the mechanism, pull the lock cylinder and reposition a couple pins so my key would work.

First, the lock cylinder wouldn't come out of the unit as promised. So I reinstalled the unit on the glovebox door and promptly locked myself out of the compartment. $6 for a locksmith to pick it open. They said they could re-code it for $20. I thought I'd I have to leave it, and so decided another time.

I wasn't finished screwing things up. I drove home and disassembled things again getting the key to turn the cylinder. Of course I locked the door, but when I turned the key, it wouldn't unlock the lock. Another trip to the locksmith. She, yes, she picked the lock and then recoded it to keep me from accidently locking it again without a matching key.

So, you can re-code your lock yourself with just a couple pins matching the key just to get the lock working. You just need to know the lock cylinder will not come out until you slide the roll pin that holds the latching trigger out. That's the key. Of course you can just bring it to the locksmith and avoid working your fingers until numb.

Dean
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Deanj
    So I reinstalled the unit on the glovebox door and promptly locked myself out of the compartment.

Dean
    All you have to do is remove the screws that hold the door to the bottom of the dash and the door will come off.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
      Super-Experienced
      • Nov 26 2015

Now you tell me! I wondered what a decimated compartment liner looked like.

Actually, if someone is doing that, then they got past the door locks.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The glovebox lock is about as secure as a piece of string.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Deanj
          Super-Experienced
          • Nov 26 2015

Yes John, but I have some tough string. You're correct, we shouldn't depend on this lock, it could discourage some curious folk and more important: I like things that work. I haven't used my windshield washer yet either, but it works.

Dean

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎