X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackbird60
    Experienced
    • Nov 28 2008

Squarebird Or 64-66 Bird

Hi! JUST A FREINDLY DISCUSSION. I HAD A 60 BIRD AND REALLY LOVED IT BUT SOLD IT AND NOW LOOKING FOR ANOTHER BIRD. A NICE 66 BIRD CROSSED MY PATH. IT HAS THE 315HP & IT'S GREAT SHAPE IN AND OUT EXCEPT THE SPEEDO DOESN'T WORK?

NOW COMPARING THE 2, THE 66 HAS THE C-6 TRANS, WHICH I BELIEVE IS A BETTER TRANS HOWEVER, OWNING A CLASSIC CAR IS MORE THAN THE PARTS OF THE CAR.

I LIKED THE TORQUE/PULL ON MY 60. THE 66 IS ABOUT 500 LBS HEAVIER, WHICH DOESN'T EXACTLY MAKE IT QUICK IN ANYONE EYES. I AM NOT LOOKING TO RACE IT, JUST LIKE THE FEEL OF A TORQUE & PUSH WHEN NEEDED.

QUESTION IS - WILL I MISS THAT PUSH OFF THE LINE THAT THE 60 HAD VS THE 66??? WILL THE 66 WITH THIS ENGINE HAVE THE PUSH I AM USED TO? THE ENGINE IS A REBUILT, WITH JUST 1,000 MILES, HASEdelbrock intake manifold, Edelbrock air cleaner, MSD ignition, dual exhaust with Ultraflo mufflers.

I WANTED TO STATE THIS SO YOU KNOW THE CONDITION OF THE ENGINE, WHICH BY THE WAY LOOKS PRISTINE?

THANKS -JACK
    Last edited by jackbird60; December 22, 2009, 05:48 PM.
  • byersmtrco
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 28 2004

Well , here's my .02

I had a 65 landau. Performance-wise, it couldnt touch my 60. Mine is a hi-perf 390 though. I had the Edelbrock 600 on it(the 65) Still a slug. maybe with the perf mods , you mentioned, that 66 might get out n go.

Looks wise, the Sq/Bird is the BEST looking Ford ever made (in my humble un-biased opinion) The 2nd best is the 64-6 TB. Sorry to Bullet bird owners, but they just don't do it for me. There is one in our club (a hot-rod - I do like that one!!!)

The sq/birds are under sprung and under braked (same brakes as 55-57 despite 1100 lb diff )
    The susp, ride and brakes of a 65-66 are by far superior.

Comfort. Hands down the 64-6. Real AC !!! Ctr console arm rest .
    Way way way easier entry & exit w/o that dog leg. My mom used to say, "you don't get IN the TBird, you put it on"

With my up-grades, my 60 conv drives (almost) as good as the 65.
    But what a headache!!!! At least now there are slam dunk disc brake kits available.

Comment

• jackbird60
      Experienced
      • Nov 28 2008

Thanks for the reply. I have to agree with you on your points and since you had a 65 bird, welcome your opinion.

Yes, I think the squarebird nudges the 64-66 birds in styling category and I heard from a few friends as you mentioned that the 64-66 is a much freindly and modern car to drive.

The bullet birds--- looked at a few & drove a few, and like you, sorry, just not a big fan. I found them to be sluggish as well. (NICE CAR THOUGH) The 64-66 comes close to the lines of the square birds, especially with the front lights.

THE 64-66 ARE MUCH CHEAPER AND A LOT ARE IN VERY GOOD CONDITION, SO I NEED TO WEIGH ALL OF THIS CAREFULLY.

SO, IF THEY ARE SLUGGISH IN COMPARISON, IT'S LIKE HAVING A LUXURY CAR WITH A SPORTS CAR LOOK BUT NO TEETH TO IT.

TO ME, YOU HAVE TO LIKE THE STYLE (INSIDE & OUT) BUT YOU GOT LIKE THE FEEL BEHIND THE WHEEL AS WELL. OTHERWISE WE COULD ALL BUY MODELS OF THE CAR AND LOOK AT THEM ONCE IN AWHILE.

I HAVE TO GET BEHIND THIS 66 TO SEE IF IT'S GOT ANY KICK TO IT, ELSE, BACK TO THOSE WONDERFUL SQUAREBIRDS., (AND A BIT MORE MONEY) THANKS - JACK

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Squarebird Or 64-66 Bird

You might consider the '66 Landau with the Q code 428 engine in it, and the C6 tranny. That might turn your crank.... Check out the Automotive Mile Post website previously referenced, or find it in the Technical Resource Library above, and bring up the 1966 Flairbird...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• bird 60
          Super-Experienced
          • Mar 18 2009

John,
          I have to agree that the SquareBird is the nicest looking of them all, especially the back. I refer to it as the Se@#$%st rear of any car with the Chrome Kit in particular. The only thing I don't like about the FlairBirds is the rear quater sideways, no deffinition. If they held on to the Fin it would look Great. I don't care too much for the Dogleg with my '60 it's a pain getting in & out, but seeing that it's only a weekender & not a daily driver I tolerate. I don't care for the Steering Wheel sticking out a mile either, it should have been at least 4" closer to the Dash. I'm sure there's a few other things to pick on like no Disk-Brakes & the Windshield Washer & wipers but at the end of the Day for me it's The SquareBird.

Chris....From the Land of OZ.

Comment

Hey Jack,
            I had a '65 also and I have to admit it drove better and had the kick you are talking about. But the '58 - '60 just a sharper bird, they have that look. I call mine the land yacht I like the way they sit and the lowered look, just to cool! And I call that, what did yall call it dog leg, no no no thigh buster. The first time my son gone in Christine and busted his leg on that, he asked: what did Ford do make a windshield and build a car around it? I also have a '78 Thunderbird and I have to agree the '58 -'60 are the sharpest Birds Ford ever built!!! No offense to anyone intended.
            Richard D. Hord

Comment

• jackbird60
              Experienced
              • Nov 28 2008

Hey guys great points and very true concerning that lovely squarebird. I remember not too long ago that the original Bird guys used to turn up their noses to us. Not anymore.
              Many like and appreciate the style now!

Aah! that wrap around window. Can't tell you how many times I hit my head on the metal when I was working underneath the dash. Ouch!!!

If I see a nice squarebird that's in good shape for the price I will buy it. If I see an exceptional 64-66 bird with a C-6 and 315HP or 428 Q engine, (I doubt it though) I MIGHT TAKE A CHANCE.

Can't believe I sold my Squarebird. Let this be a lesson to others . DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU CAN'T DRIVE IT ANYMORE OR RUN OUT OF MONEY!!!! --- JACK

Comment

• RustyNCa
                Super-Experienced
                • May 31 2007

Well, I have both right now.

The 65 is all original except for the four foot long glass packs installed in probably the 70's , oh and my lowering it 2 inches.

My 58 on the other hand is running a 390 with a cam and eldebrock intake and carb, stock manifolds with custom exhaust and disk brakes with a bigger front sway bar.

The 58 does feel maybe a little bit stronger than the 65, but I wouldn't say either one have very exciting performance. Surprisingly the 65's brakes are still better than the Wilwood's I installed on the 58.

Neither handle very well, but I would say the 58 with that bigger front bar does feel better.

More people know what the 65 is than the 58, I hear alot of people that have no idea what the 58 is.

I see the 65 as really nice and comfortable to drive, it's quiet, has a/c, the 58 is loud and in your face. I think the 58 is more unique , bold styling, and masculine, where the 65 just exudes class

I personally not sure I can pick one I like over the other.

I can say that most of my friends tell me they all the like the 58 the best of all the cars I own and with my disease I have a quite a few.

My opinion is you can't go wrong with either one, you don't see them very often and they are built very well.

I was going to post a photo of mine together, but I don't have one....

Comment

• jackbird60
                  Experienced
                  • Nov 28 2008

Thanks Rusty, That Was Helpful To Me. This Is How It Seems To Me Now As Well. A Question Of Balance. Each One Has Their Own Virtues & Drawbacks. A Nice Condition "jet Bird" Will Do Nicely At The Nightly Car Cruise And Be A Decent Driver. The Squarebird Will Draw A Bit More Attention Since They Are A Bit Rarer, And Have What I Think Is Great Lines. Not A Real Comfortable Driver As The "jet Birds" But Then Again, Not Suppose To Be A Everyday Driver.

Having Had A 66 Mustang Convt, I Can Honestly Say, Either Of The Birds Will Be More Unique And Draw More Attention Than The Mustang. (no Offense Mustang People, They Are Great Looking Cars, And A Classic Car Forever, It Just A Ton Of Them Around.)

Comment

Hey Jack,
                    I agree with you about the Mustang. They are nice, but Ford flooded the market with them. Now you can buy them for a dime a dozen!
                    This is just my opinion and does not reflect the opinion of Squarebirds and or any of there members!
                    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• byersmtrco
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 28 2004

Nice disclaimer !! Ha ha !!! Agreed, Mustangs are like Chevelle's (dime a dozen)

Don't kid yourself about a 64-66's "315 horsepower". Mine was pretty lathrgic. A 66 with a Q-Motor should run decent.

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord
                      Hey Jack,
                      I agree with you about the Mustang. They are nice, but Ford flooded the market with them. Now you can buy them for a dime a dozen!
                      This is just my opinion and does not reflect the opinion of Squarebirds and or any of there members!
                      Richard D. Hord
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hey John,
                        Is the '65 Thunderbird a special edition?
                        Richard D. Hord

Comment

• byersmtrco
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Sep 28 2004

Yup. 1 of 4500 made. Shouldn'ta sold it. Oh well.
                          Not enought room . . . Not enough $$$ (for it AND the 60 conv)

I would like another 65/6 though.
                          One of these days . . . I want a 59 too . . .

Comment

• jackbird60
                            Experienced
                            • Nov 28 2008

HEY GUYS! JUST FOUND A NICE CRYSTAL BLUE ONE WITH WHITE INTERIOR. HAS SOME ELECTRICAL GREMLINS BUT INTERIOR/EXTERIOR LOOKS GREAT. ALSO HAS A REBUILT 390 WITH new edlebrock manifold and MSD IGNITION. HAS A 4.11 REAR WITH POSI.

HERE IS A YOU TUBE OF THE CAR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apxui-TVGa4

hE WAS ASKING LOW 9'S BUT WITH THE ELECTRICALS I HAVE IT FOR $7,400 BUT NOT EXACTLY A DONE DEAL.

ANY THOUGHTS??? CONCERNS. TOO HIGH A PRICE??

THANKS - JACK

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Squarebird Or 64-66 Bird

Hi Jack,

First of all, I moved your Thread here to the Flairbird Forum because it is mainly about '64-'66 Tbirds.

I looked at the video clip and that looks to be a very nice looking Flairbird, IMHO. Do you know what the electrical issues are? You should be able to trace them out, and fix them, or a good mechanic should be able to if you do not have the experience. It certainly looks good and sounds good. As for pricing, I think $7,500 for that Tbird is a good price if you can get it for that. The nice thing about the '66 is that you will also get the improvements to that series that were not in the '64 and '65. Lets see what the others have to say.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎