X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Infinite Monkeys
    Apprentice
    • Aug 24 2017

4 wheel parking brake AND tire shredding burn-outs

While I wait for my parking brake spring to arrive in the mail, I've come across this:

I've considered using them before in other projects, but never got around to doing it.

Now seems like the prefect time. Considering the tendency of these vehicles with COM to slip out of park, this will allow you to lock the front brakes and the back brakes will be locked via the conventional handle.

Plus, imagine the burn-outs!!

Can anyone see a down side, or has personal experience with these.

Thanks.
  • Thunderherd
    Apprentice
    • Oct 22 2014

I think I can give some insite on this. I was a mechanic for the telephone company here, mainly worked on the mounted equipment of bucket trucks and the digger trucks. Hydraulics and electric systems. Some of our trucks used this 'micro brake' system, to lock the brakes while you are using the truck. 'All' the literature and training urged you not to use this as a parking brake. Use your regular parking brake, and put truck in gear (standard shift trans) when you leave truck unattended. We had several instances where the driver would set that micro brake, maybe when parking for overnight, and that brake would bleed off and the truck would roll off. So, please beware.

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
      Apprentice
      • Aug 24 2017

Originally posted by Thunderherd
      I think I can give some insite on this. I was a mechanic for the telephone company here, mainly worked on the mounted equipment of bucket trucks and the digger trucks. Hydraulics and electric systems. Some of our trucks used this 'micro brake' system, to lock the brakes while you are using the truck. 'All' the literature and training urged you not to use this as a parking brake. Use your regular parking brake, and put truck in gear (standard shift trans) when you leave truck unattended. We had several instances where the driver would set that micro brake, maybe when parking for overnight, and that brake would bleed off and the truck would roll off. So, please beware.
      A few questions for you:

When applied, did the micro brake work OK?

Was there a light, or some type of indicator that let the operator know that the brake was engaged and if so, did this indicator also let the operator know the system had bled down?

Thanks.

Comment

• Thunderherd
        Apprentice
        • Oct 22 2014

Originally posted by Infinite Monkeys
        A few questions for you:

When applied, did the micro brake work OK?

Was there a light, or some type of indicator that let the operator know that the brake was engaged and if so, did this indicator also let the operator know the system had bled down?

Thanks.
        It's been since the mid 90's since I actually worked on this system. But, no, I don't remember a light that told you it was set. But when it was set, you sure weren't going anywhere. The brakes were set solid. If I remember correctly, you flipped the lever or pushed the button to lock it, then you pressed the brake pedal down. Then the brakes were locked. Most of the time brakes stayed locked indefinitely, but every once in a while they would bleed off. Not while the truck was running though, just when parked for a while.

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
          Apprentice
          • Aug 24 2017

Originally posted by Thunderherd
          It's been since the mid 90's since I actually worked on this system. But, no, I don't remember a light that told you it was set. But when it was set, you sure weren't going anywhere. The brakes were set solid. If I remember correctly, you flipped the lever or pushed the button to lock it, then you pressed the brake pedal down. Then the brakes were locked. Most of the time brakes stayed locked indefinitely, but every once in a while they would bleed off. Not while the truck was running though, just when parked for a while.
          I'm now leaning towards going ahead with it, if nothing else than it'll give me an easy way to do burn-outs .

And secondly I'll have a backup parking brake, along with my factory parking brake when working on the car. I'm now paranoid about the slipping into reverse tendency of this trany.

Besides, I think I'm going the hot rod route with this car anyway, next is a set of 3.90 gears. Already have a 3rd member with these gears setup and ready to go.
          Thanks for the info.

Comment

• scumdog
            Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by Infinite Monkeys
            While I wait for my parking brake spring to arrive in the mail, I've come across this:

I've considered using them before in other projects, but never got around to doing it.

Now seems like the prefect time. Considering the tendency of these vehicles with COM to slip out of park, this will allow you to lock the front brakes and the back brakes will be locked via the conventional handle.

Plus, imagine the burn-outs!!

Can anyone see a down side, or has personal experience with these.

Thanks.
            I used to have a similar device on my F100' as a 'poor mans line-loc'!

Worked a treat, easy burnouts with no wear and tear on the rear brakes.
            A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Infinite Monkeys
              Apprentice
              • Aug 24 2017

Originally posted by scumdog
              I used to have a similar device on my F100' as a 'poor mans line-loc'!

Worked a treat, easy burnouts with no wear and tear on the rear brakes.
              My thoughts exactly. To Quote Jay Leno from his youtube show
              "never underestimate the immaturity factor"

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎