This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:54 AM
Experienced

trim code 76 is on a distinguished road
Talking

Sorry to be off subject here but, Coral/Cathie, where are you in central ILL? I spent a majority of my life in Springfield and got a scollership to play football for SIU (Carbondale). BTW much better picture!
Greg
Old 05-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Super-Experienced

Coral has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkrod View Post
Giving credit does not make it okay to post. The point is the book is protected by copyright, you are not allowed to post any of it except for commentary, parody etc... you are not allowed to post parts of it just to share it with others. That is against the law. You can actually expose yourself finacially. Trust me, I got more from a settlement than I was making on one of my duds! LOL Hawkrod
I wrote to Krause this AM for written permission, will update with news when I get it. I had thought the commentary part was what we were doing here, but I'm apparently wrong, LOL
There is another source to get permission on this article, since Krause or Gunnell are NOT the creator of it but copied it into the book.

Thanx again Hawkrod
Old 05-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by trim code 76 View Post
Sorry to be off subject here but, Coral/Cathie, where are you in central ILL? I spent a majority of my life in Springfield and got a scollership to play football for SIU (Carbondale). BTW much better picture!
Greg
Coral/Cathie I answer to both, thanx for the nod on the pic -
We are in the Charleston / Mattoon area, Casey to be exact
Carbondale is a very pretty area, been down there a few times.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Experienced

Hawkrod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I wrote to Krause this AM for written permission, will update with news when I get it. I had thought the commentary part was what we were doing here, but I'm apparently wrong, LOL
There is another source to get permission on this article, since Krause or Gunnell are NOT the creator of it but copied it into the book.

Thanx again Hawkrod
Actually, there is really only one full copyright holder but he can issue limited or full rights. Usually either the publisher owns it or the writer owns it, it depends on how it was contracted. Commentary is basically discussion of an article, not discussion of the subject of an article. I know it may seem like no big deal but I would hate to see something bad happen because somebody did not understand that what they were doing was not allowed. I spend way too much time getting web sites shut down and I am sure there are other authors doing the same thing. We all protect our work when we find violations. There is actually software and companies that detect violations. It is getting quite sophisticated. There is also now similar software for pictures and art as well as for music and video. The protection thing is getting bigger and bigger by the day! Hawkrod

Here are some related links on web based copyright detection:

http://internetinvestigations.co.nz/

http://www.physorg.com/news94982094.html

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/06/0048250

http://online.wsj.com/public/article...html?mod=blogs
Old 05-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Experienced

Meridious is on a distinguished road

I just purchased that book. I like the text, but I hate the sorry, blurred, black and white photos. Can't see a detail of anything.

Grrrrrrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
from page 56 of William Wonder's Thunderbird Restoration Guide:

Perhaps the most unique 1960 models ever produced, however, would be those ordered by the Allegheny Ludlum Steel Corporation in July 1960, near the end of the production run. Two stainless steel versions of the production 'Bird hardtop were produced at a reported cost in excess of $35,000 . These agless 'Birds were produced on the regular production line of the Wixom, Michigan plant.

More than 1,000 dies produced over 300 stainless steel components used in the fabrication of each car, including bumpers grilles and exhaust. Bodies were fabricated on the regular production dies at the Budd Co in Detroit, using stainless steel featuring a special satin finish, not unlike the later Deloreans. Being the end of the regular production run, and sinde 1960s ended the Thunderbird's third year of the second generation body style, these dies would no longer be needed and were ultimately, and unfortunately, destroyed during the production of these two "ageless" 1960 Thunderbirds.

The bumpers and additional trim featured mirror polished stainless steel. Polishing cost alone for these exterior components was reportely $3000 per car. The Thunderbird's normal weight of 3957 pounds was duplicated by using Type 302 stainless for the body panels and Type 430 for the trim. Because the maximum rolling mill for stainless only produced stock that was 72 inches in width, numerous ideas were tried, and an expenditure of $10,000 was made in attempt to obtain the 84 inch width required to form the Thunderbird's roof panel. Eventually two 42 inch sections were welded together to form the roof, with only a very faint trace line visible.

These stainless 'Birds, based in Pittsburgh and Detroit,, were used for automotive shows and special exhibitions throughout the United States and most of Euorope. The Pittsburgh car has appeared in over 30 parades and racked up some 120,000 miles, traveling one coast to the other several times. The Detroit car has also appeared in numerous shows and parades and has logged approximately 80,000 miles, including one trip to the West Coast. Both cars are in excellent condition today, requiring only minor tuneups and an occasional wash with soap and water.

Although both cars received interior and mechanical restorations in the early to mid 80s, with various components such as valve covers and wheel covers being replaced with non stock items over the years, the two stainless Birds will inevitably outlast all their model year predecessors, remaining timeless and shining examples of Ford's personal luxury leader for 1960!

note: page 55 has a picture beloning to Alan Tast of one of them.

Ray, I am not convinced there was more than one set of dies. Dies are terribly expensive to create and, if only used for 3 years, durable enough. If making the two SS cars destroyed them, that reaffirms my feeling. However, as always, that's just an opinion.

Maybe we could track down William Wonder!!

John

ps the online sampling of Wonder's book does not have this material so I copied it for everyone to read.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:22 AM
Super-Experienced

We have received written permission to recopy the articles !

Now comes the challenge to get them scanned and uploaded in a readable format....
Old 05-13-2009, 02:59 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default The Stainless Steel '60 Tbirds

According to what was recently received in the way of information about the below subject, this is an example of how information gets passed on as gospel over the decades. We recently received information that the dies were NOT destroyed during the production of the two SS Tbirds, as recently posted on the Forum... Nor were those two cars built at the very end of the production run as has been stated all these years, after all other Tbirds were run. We know now, from Allegheny-Ludlum themselves, that they were built on July 11, 1960. Nearly two months before the end of production on Sept. 9, 1960..

"Being the end of the regular production run, and since 1960s ended the Thunderbird's third year of the second generation body style, these dies would no longer be needed and were ultimately, and unfortunately, destroyed during the production of these two "ageless" 1960 Thunderbirds."

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 05-13-2009, 07:21 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Wow. I was 4 years and two days then....
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 05-14-2009, 03:49 AM
Super-Experienced

I wasn't even a thought in my parent's heads yet...
hum..maybe I should get a bullybird...
Old 05-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,
Ray has pretty much covered all the bases on the Stainless Steel Thunderbirds.
But I dug up some more slides.
Go to You Tube, type in Stainless Steel 1960 Thunderbird.
SWEEEEEETTTT!!!!!
Registry #33436