Could any one please help me I've bought a new shifter
    but cannot get the old one off not sure if it's an Allen key
    Hole or if it just punches out
    were it goes on to the collor were this pin is the pin is
    hollow
  • toddgilroy
    Experienced
    • Aug 30 2014

The pin is hollow and just pushes/punches out. Be careful so you don't enlarge the hole on the collar.
    Todd Gilroy
    1960 Tbird Convertible
    Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

The roll pin or spring pin has an interference fit to the shift lever and rotates in the shifter housing. This is a common wear point where the housing hole gets elongated. A little careful tapping on the pin should remove it.
      Nyles
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Tbird1044; January 18, 2015, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• phil
        • Aug 19 2014

Originally posted by Tbird1044
        The roll pin or spring pin has an interference fit to the shift lever and rotates in the shifter housing. This is a common wear point where the housing hole gets elongated. A little careful tapping on the pin should remove it.
        Nyles
        Thanks m8 this is a big help I think I'll be doing some tapping today

Comment

• elijahbird7
          Experienced
          • Nov 12 2013

I just did this job about two weeks ago. I bought an 8 pack of roll pin punches at Harbor Freight for not much money. Used the correct size punch, and the whole process took about 10 minutes. The only issue was that the pin that I punched out was too small for the new lever. I had a box of pins, so just found the one that would fit tightly and it was done.
          I was a chicken, and waited until I had the car at my mechanic's for another job, and just did this while he was working on the car, just in case anything went wrong. The old lever pulls right out, and when you compare it to the new lever, you will see how worn your old one was. I replaced mine because the white plastic end just broke off one day.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎