Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

Thanks Dave. Now I got it and see how the relay works in the system and it all makes sense. I always wondered how they differentiated the rear bulbs.
    Just out of curiosity, where the heck is the stop light relay located on the car?
    Also, are the added resistors there to further dim the tail lights so there is a more distinct difference between them and the brake light? I looked up bullet electrical connectors and found them in 2mm, 3.5mm and 4mm, but they all appear to a newer style. Did you ever find a source for Ford style? I love the idea of splicing the changes in with the connectors and not changing the original wiring.
    Thanks again, and now I can play around with the system when I get my car back.
    Nyles

Comment

• GTE427
      Super-Experienced
      • Oct 9 2007

Originally posted by Tbird1044
      Just out of curiosity, where the heck is the stop light relay located on the car?
      The relay is locate inside the left rear fender cavity. Remove the cardboard side panel, you should see the relay mounted to the backside of the steel trunk side panel. Opposite where the fender chevrons would be on a 60 Bird.

The relay is not on all cars, I've seen them on some 58's, some 59's, think they weren't used on 60's at all. If found, it may have been bypassed.
      Ken
      1959 J Convertible
      1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Ken is right. Some cars had the relay in the LH side of the trunk. The electrical diagram shows other cars with the relay in the dash, just before the trunk wiring harness.

Some LEDs showed little or no difference in brilliance between the stop and tail sides. Notice on my diagrams, the tail light side (only) has a 100-ohm resistor to limit current and reduce brilliance.

I bought a large quantity of bullet connectors to sell because they are so expensive in small quantities. I forget the size but I can measure again... they fit Ford connectors nicely.

I also bought ten LED lamps with (27) 5050 LEDs in each one. I keep running out, I have a need for four right away and I like to keep a stock of them on hand. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tbird1044
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 31 2012

After digging around on the Net last night, it appears that the correct bullet connector for the Ford is .180" on the bullet. Once I found that, I tracked down several sources and yes you are so right, they are expensive. I found some with a crimp connection and others with shrink wrap attached, which were even more expensive. I'll probably end up getting some, just to have them around.
          Nyles

Comment

• vermbird
            Experienced
            • Jul 22 2009

i am a bit overwhelmed by all this electrical info. I just want to put LED's in my 60 bird rear, outer and middle lights, the ones that brighten when you step on the brakes. rock auto sells the Phillips 1157RLED, for about $6.00 each will this work, without diodes, resisters, etc.? will they also work in the single taillights of my 63 bullet bird? just want to keep things simple. thanks.

Comment

• frank58
              Super-Experienced
              • May 28 2006

these are advertised as 12V "replacement" bulbs... so they should work as installed. wondering why you chose red.. with the red lens wouldn't white be better? I don't know, just asking.

Comment

• vermbird
                Experienced
                • Jul 22 2009

i read somewhere better to use red LED with red lenses.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎