No announcement yet.

New member with 58

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tune up ...

You might want to check for any play in the dist. shaft. It's fairly common for the bushings to be worn in these older cars. I've changed all of my FE's over to electronic ign. I just go to the parts store and order one for a 76 ford pickup(about $65). They still have the small cap and look stock and you have a new vacume advance that way too. I use this dist. in conjunction with a MSD-6AL ignition module and a blaster coil. You get a much hotter spark than with a points setup which means a better mixture burn and more power, also better cold starting and less maintanance. Mike
    Last edited by Guest; August 4, 2009, 01:28 AM.

Comment

• Astrowing
      Experienced
      • Jul 22 2009

The engine was just about completely warmed up. It would probably be a little warmer if I did run it at 1200 RPM for 30 minutes like I read somewhere. It did take probably 20 minutes after I shut it off to remove plugs and got my wife outside to help me cranking and recording data. I did have her keep the throttle open while cranking and I did the some number on each cylinder. The pressure seemed to rise with each stroke pretty consistently also.
      sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• Astrowing
        Experienced
        • Jul 22 2009

Mileage shows 80K, but of course that doesn't mean anything. I think the engine was rebuilt about 10 years ago, and probably doesn't really have that many miles on it.
        sigpic

Comment

• Astrowing
          Experienced
          • Jul 22 2009

As far as the vacuum advance, I tried to pull a vacuum by mouth. The diaphram is intact, but I couldn't move the breaker plate at all. I can move the breaker plate by physically pushing it around, the springs seem to be pretty tight. The centrifugal advance is working, but haven't ascertained what amount of advance is vs. RPM. Should I get this distributor rebuilt or try something else?
          sigpic

Comment

• Astrowing
            Experienced
            • Jul 22 2009

Which 76 pickup engine did you use as a replacement distributor? 351?
            sigpic

Comment

Hey Astrowing,
              I sprayed Christine's with WD-40. That got it working a hole lot easier!
              Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Astrowing
                Experienced
                • Jul 22 2009

I started doing the brake work yesterday. I've done lots of Ford drum brakes, but this is the first one that the wheel cylinder is held on with a single big nut. I'm going to have to go buy some bigger wrenches. Is it 1 1/4" or bigger and is a big socket a better investment than a combination wrench?

Also, any advice on breaking wheel lug nuts loose that haven't been off for 6 years or more? One down, and three to go!
                sigpic

Comment

Hey James,
                  I would spray the nut with penetrating oil for several days and invest in a socket.
                  Richard D. Hord

Comment

• GTE427
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Oct 9 2007

Originally posted by Astrowing
                    Is it 1 1/4" or bigger and is a big socket a better investment than a combination wrench?

Also, any advice on breaking wheel lug nuts loose that haven't been off for 6 years or more?
                    Do not know the nut size, measure it, or open the jaws of an adjustable wrench to fit, then measure the jaws of the adjustable. I prefer the wrench, more leverage, if you go with the socket, measure the depth of the return spring anchor pin as you may need a deep socket.

Lug nuts, soak with a penetrating oil first. An impact gun is your best bet but not always available. Next up, leverage. Get a length of steel pipe to add to your collection of tools. I have a 3 foot length of pipe that will slip over a breaker bar. It'll either loosen the nut or break the stud. Be prepared for the broken stud. Good luck.
                    Ken
                    1959 J Convertible
                    1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• JohnG
                      John
                      • Jul 28 2003

Try PB Blaster on the lug nuts. Let it sit for a couple days. Stop by a shop with an air gun and let them break each one loose and then you tighten them by hand and head home.

The big nut holding the wheel bearing in should not be either rusted or god-awful-tight so you should be ok with an adjustable wrench.

John
                      1958 Hardtop
                      #8452 TBird Registry
                      http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                      history:
                      http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

360/390 FE for the dist.. Mike

Comment

• Astrowing
                          Experienced
                          • Jul 22 2009

Got a 390 distributor and picked up a big adjustable wrench to get the wheel cylinder nut off. And it worked! I did have to take the bleeder screw out to get the wheel cylinder out with the hydraulic hose still attached. Thanks for all the good advice!
                          sigpic

Comment

• Astrowing
                            Experienced
                            • Jul 22 2009

My pre-bent brake lines finally arrived yesterday and I have about half of them installed. I'm still waiting on one of the inboard flexible hoses for the front brakes on the '58 and then we'll be ready to hit the road! I'm anxious to see how driveable the engine is with the work I've done to it also.

As followup, I did get all the lug nuts off successfully. I used my bicycle lubricant and let it soak for a while. I got the front wheel cylinders off with a bicycle headset wrench. Nothing broke amazingly!

I built some benches out of 2x8's and 2x12's as additional protection when I'm working under the car using the same design my grandfather did working on the old Chevrolets from the 40's and 50's. The old benches had long ago succumbed to time in Texas.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎