Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 57CustomStd
    • Feb 24 2018

VIN tag on 57Custom

I am trying to decipher the vin tag on my 57 Ford Custom std. The style is more like a Thunderbird wherein it doesn't have an axle or trans code but instead has a production code of 1417A. Has anyone run into this and can you help me decipher it? It was built Jan 26, 1957 at Kansas City.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Can you post a picture of it or email me a picture so I can post it. Normally the production code on the early '57 plates have the day (number), month (letter) and it's production number on that day. Sometimes there's a "P" after the number to indicate it's a normal production car. I'm not sure what the "A" would indicate.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• 57CustomStd
      • Feb 24 2018

57 Vin tag

I am not able to post a pic at this time but info on the tag is as follows: VIN A7K612.... Body 70A Color C Trim A Date 26A Production Code 1417A

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There were a number of different styles of data plates used in the mid-late 50's. I was hoping to see a photo of it so I can compare it to others that I have seen. However if you don't want to take the time to take a picture of it and email to me so I can see it then maybe someone else can help you out.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Brushwolf
          Experienced
          • Jul 18 2015

No idea if it means anything, but I noticed that the VIN tag from a 57 Custom that had been a California Police car had a different data layout from any other 57 or 58 VIN tags off Fairlanes. I assumed it was due to a change of VIN tag format sometime in 1957 and it was an early production vehicle, but maybe not.. Maybe special purpose vehicle? Will check it out and compare with some other 57 VIN tags when feeling better, but recovering from surgery right now.

Comment

• fordrodsteven
            • Sep 24 2016

Originally posted by 57CustomStd
            57 Vin tag

I am not able to post a pic at this time but info on the tag is as follows: VIN A7K612.... Body 70A Color C Trim A Date 26A Production Code 1417A

Best information I can find is as follows; VIN A7KG12. A= 223 six cylinder engine, 7 = year 57, K = built in Kansas City, G = custom
            Body 70A = ford custom tudor sedan, Color C = Dresden Blue, Trim A = silver and gray shantung vinyl and gray random block fabric, Date 26A = January 26th.

I cannot ascertain what the production code 1417A would stand for.
            Steve
            1955 Thunderbird project in process
            Tee-bird registry # 63034
            CTCI member #37081

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍