Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats a good 15" tire/rim combo for a 60?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cruciform
    • Oct 21 2007

Whats a good 15" tire/rim combo for a 60?

I'm looking for a set of 4 steel rims/tires with wide whitewalls for my 60..
    I want the widest I can fit for the rear, and am looking at probably 15x8 for the rear, and 15x7 for the front.

Can anyone post some recommendations as top what they are currently running or other experiences?

I did a search, and found a few answers, but nothing I can really use...

thanks!
    Percy.
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

I wonder if my 65 setup would work on a 60? I could check it for you in about 5 weeks, won't have time till then, then I will have lots of time...

Comment

• byersmtrco
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 28 2004

Bolt right on & look great !!!!! Those b/moons . . . Yep !!

I'm thinking that same combo, but with the "FORD" Center caps.
      Does your Sq/Bird have fen/skirts? I think they'll clear. I'd run the b/moons, but one of our TB club member's has that. Wouldn't wanna copy him. Yeah right.

My K/H wires are 15's. I have too low of a tire profile. Went w/205/70's. Should have ran 215/75's.

K/H wires will prob be for sale at some point in the near future..I'm thinking $1200. That's about what I paid (for the whls) I'll throw the tires & tubes in free. Save someone $400?

Comment

• dgs
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 13 2003

Just watch the offset. I've got 17" x 8" all around with zero offset. They fit about perfect, but I'm not sure if 15" would work. The extra 2" on the wheels help clear some of the front suspension. There's a little more room in the back, but not up front.

Someone here is running 9" wide in the rear, I think, in 17" dia.

When I ordered my Boyd's, I had Discount Tire and Boyd Coddington tell me what size I needed. I had done the research, so I pretty much knew, but I wanted it to be their recommendation so if there was a problem I could pin it on them to fix it.
        DGS (aka salguod)
        1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
        www.salguod.net

Comment

• cruciform
          • Oct 21 2007

Originally posted by RustyNCa
          http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ead.php?t=4055

I wonder if my 65 setup would work on a 60? I could check it for you in about 5 weeks, won't have time till then, then I will have lots of time...
          that's funny because your car was the model of what I am looking for, only my steel wheels will be painted, with chrome baby moons and (maybe) trim rings..

can you tell me exactly what offsets you are running?

Comment

• FeFranco
            Experienced
            • Jan 13 2007

I have AR torq thrust 15X8.5 in the rear with 3 3/4" offset. It rubs on turns. I have 265-50-15 tires on them. How much offset are you thinking with the 15X8 rim?

Comment

• dgs
              Super-Experienced
              • Feb 13 2003

Originally posted by FeFranco
              I have AR torq thrust 15X8.5 in the rear with 3 3/4" offset. It rubs on turns. I have 265-50-15 tires on them. How much offset are you thinking with the 15X8 rim?
              I think you mean 3 3/4 back space. Offset is the distance from the wheel center line to the mounting surface. A 3 3/4" back space on an 8.5" wheel is likely around a -3/4" offset. Remember, the 8.5" is inside the wheel lips so the wheel is likely almost 9" wide to the outside. Take half of that is 4 1/2", subtract your back space and you're at 3/4" negative offset.

Those are rough numbers, the actual might be a little different.
              DGS (aka salguod)
              www.salguod.net

Comment

• FeFranco
                Experienced
                • Jan 13 2007

[QUOTE=dgs;19236]I think you mean 3 3/4 back space. Oppsie, your right. Thats probably why I didn't get it right in the first place.

Comment

• RustyNCa
                  Super-Experienced
                  • May 31 2007

Originally posted by cruciform
                  that's funny because your car was the model of what I am looking for, only my steel wheels will be painted, with chrome baby moons and (maybe) trim rings..

can you tell me exactly what offsets you are running?
                  I don't recall exactly so it would be better if I went and found it again. But the backspacing was setup specifically to clear the monster caliper on the front of the 65 and just fit into the rear. But seriously I would be happy to test fit them after April 16th(guess what I do for a living).... well, that and get a shot of the setup on my 58, assuming it will clear my 58's front calipers. They are custom ordered bs no one offers a rim in the setup I am running.

Comment

• FeFranco
                    Experienced
                    • Jan 13 2007

Originally posted by RustyNCa
                    I would be happy to test fit them after April 16th(guess what I do for a living).... .
                    Are you a snow plow driver? I couldn't help myself!

Comment

• byersmtrco
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 28 2004

I'm pretty sure 15 x 7's will be fine in frt. 15 x 8's in the rear.
                      That's what I'm thinking about. Chrome rev w/ the "FORD" ctr caps.
                      I'm actually flip floping back to white walls w/that combo after seeing Rusty's 65.

At one point I considered 15" Vectors "General Lee" wheels for my 65 with the painted part done in Emberglow.

I've also considered wide whites with the 15's with the Ford caps and chrome trim rings with red wheels (aprox 1" showing btwn the caps & trim rings) I want something old school retro

Can't decide

Comment

• byersmtrco
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Sep 28 2004

Ok so for regular steel (OEM) type wheels in a 15 x 7, what would be my best bet for back spacing. If I could squeek 15 x 8's in the rear, I'll do it. It does seem do-able considering the 17's & other huge sizes some of you guys are running.
                        On the other hand, I don't want the fronts to rub either.

Thanks,

Comment

• RustyNCa
                          Super-Experienced
                          • May 31 2007

Originally posted by byersmtrco
                          Ok so for regular steel (OEM) type wheels in a 15 x 7, what would be my best bet for back spacing. If I could squeek 15 x 8's in the rear, I'll do it. It does seem do-able considering the 17's & other huge sizes some of you guys are running.

Thanks,
                          give me three weeks and I will let you know my backspacing on the wheels and if it will work on a squarebird, or based on what I have what I think will work.

Taking a short break from taxes to see what is going on here.... . I have it down to needed to finish 4.8 returns a day for the next three weeks and I should be okay......

Comment

• dgs
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Feb 13 2003

Originally posted by byersmtrco
                            Ok so for regular steel (OEM) type wheels in a 15 x 7, what would be my best bet for back spacing. If I could squeak 15 x 8's in the rear, I'll do it. It does seem do-able considering the 17's & other huge sizes some of you guys are running.

Thanks,
                            Most wheels are spec'd in 'offset' not back space. As I've said, my 17x8's are zero offset, which translates into about 4 1/4" back space.

Don't you have 15" wires now? I'd take a good look at the space available inside and out and then pull a wheel and check the back space. Then it's a matter of math. If your wires are 6" wide and you've got more room outside than in, you may want to get the same backspace in the wider rim to push the extra 1" width to the outside.

Shouldn't be hard to figure once you've got the current inside clearance, outside clearance, wheel width and back space. Get those and I can help you figure it.

There is space to get 8" wide or even 9" in the rear, but getting 15" diameter tucked in there might be challenging due to the shape of the wheel opening. Getting my 17's installed is a little tricky, the 15's would be harder I think.
                            DGS (aka salguod)
                            www.salguod.net

Comment

• byersmtrco
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Sep 28 2004

Thanks!!
                              Actually, this Saturday morning, my car will be up on a drive on lift. I'm going to do just that. We'll be installing a custom made hvy duty frt sway bar. I'll post pics.
                              While up there I will take measurements. As it is right now, my rear tire is about 1.75" from the fen/skirt. So, yeah, if I can back space it right. 8's will be fine. I'm thinking 255/60's back there.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎