Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

No problem this looks like a great deal, will keep all updated.

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

The kit came in and looks to be complete except for a proportioning valve. Do I need an adjustable P valve? This one is set for front disc/ rear drum and should work for me.

We are sorry, but this page cannot be found. If you have any questions or can't find what you are looking for, please contact us .

Comment

• Yadkin
        Banned
        • Aug 11 2012

With my set-up that unit will contact the spring tower, plus I'll have to put a tee in the line to service the brake light switch. SSBC has a simple one line in, one out rear only unit, on sale directly through them for $36. #A0707

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

How can a two-port valve possibly do real proportioning? It can't. This #A0707 is simply a flow control valve that doesn't do half the jobs a real combination prop valve does.

It can't meter and it can't shut off the line with a rupture. No electrical warning light, either. This thing simply 'pinches off' the output to slow flow. It doesn't reduce pressure. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

According to the manufacturer:
            The adjustable, anodized proportioning valve regulates rear brake pressure, helping to maintain correct brake bias between front and rear brakes. The easy to turn handle with directional handles makes it simple to either increase or decrease rear brake pressure.

Comment

• Yadkin
              Banned
              • Aug 11 2012

The center hub on the new rotors, which centers the wheel, is a different size than on the old drums. Old is 2.38", new is about 2.47". This speeds up my purchase of new wheels. Coker's "Thunderbird Wire Wheels" have a hub diameter of 2.52". They are sending me one bare wheel to test fit. I chose the wheel from a '65, since the backspace is 3.5", vs the '64 wheel which is 4".

Comment

• Yadkin
                Banned
                • Aug 11 2012

I've been super busy at work (which is a good thing financially) so had Classic Metal in Mocksville do the conversion. Here's some photos of the finished product.

Joe did a nice job fabricating a bracket for the proportioning valve.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Wingman65
                  Apprentice
                  • Sep 20 2015

Looking good. Who's kit is this?

Comment

• Yadkin
                    Banned
                    • Aug 11 2012

See post 14.

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
                      Experienced
                      • Jul 4 2015

New MC and Booster required?

Hi Yadkin:

If I cannot get past this current brake issue, I am seriously considering to convert to Front Disc Brakes as well. I just checked out the conversion kit from Tom's Classics store on eBay and it looks like the way to go.

Do I need to also replace my Brake Booster and Master Cylinder? I see from your pics those look new.

Any other parts I need to consider when doing this conversion?

Regards,

~geoff
                      Geoff In Carlsbad
                      1961 Thunderbird Convertible aka: Betty:cool:

sigpic

Comment

• Yadkin
                        Banned
                        • Aug 11 2012

If you have a single master cylinder then you should replace it with a dual master regardless of conversion to front disks. Disc brakes need a larger volume of fluid in the reservoir, so you need a compatible master.

Comment

59 Square Bird Fnt Brake Conversion

Does anyone have any feedback on the abs power brake fnt brake conversion kit . Pos/neg. they want 1095.00 plus 65.00 for the p valve . Are there better kits out there that are complete ?

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Most who have done the conversion on a squarebird use Scarebird brackets and off the shelf parts such as Mustang rotors and Chevy S-10 calipers. Look in the Technical Resource Library under Disc Brake Conversion. You will find all the information there. Especially look in Marcelo's thread. You can certainly buy all-in-one kits but you will wind up paying a lot more money.

John
                            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎