This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:57 AM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Trunk on and closing/ opening. I have the car sitting out in the sun today to let the rubber seal settle in.

Got the doors on last night. I need to tweek some chrome trim that is making contact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150709_220120312.jpg (51.0 KB, 92 views)
Old 07-13-2015, 04:39 PM
Banned

I spent several hours this weekend looking for the front vent window assemblies. I remember rebuilding them, then putting them away to keep them clean and safe. It turns out that they were at the body shop, since Mike needed them to get the edges of the doors lined up with them. Loaded up with dust, but at least I got 'em.

That would have been a disaster had I lost them.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:05 PM
Banned

Here she sits, waiting on the state inspection for vin and basic operation. I still have much to do, door glass needs to go in, interior trim, the rest of the seats, the grill, get the hydraulics and AC working, some minor electrical demons...

I'm also going to rebuild the rear end and put new bearings in before I take it on an extended drive. I've had a half-shaft leave in my '69 F100 due to a dry bearing and I don't need that to happen to this beast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100135.JPG (93.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg P1100136.JPG (96.0 KB, 69 views)
Old 07-29-2015, 12:37 PM
Banned

Passed inspection last week and now waiting for the state to push some button somewhere. Delay, delay, delay.

Meanwhile the glass is all in, working out bugs with seals and such. I got the back seat in last night, had to make more modifications to the seat belt attachments to get it to fit.

One of the more iconic rear seats in automotive history:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150728_204206843.jpg (62.3 KB, 58 views)
Old 07-29-2015, 09:19 PM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Good to hear that it passed the inspection Steve. Now to get the rest done & get it on the road.
Our initial inspection here in South Australia is $270. If it fails & you go back again it's an additional $120.
What do they slug there?

Chris......From OZ.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:24 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

We're lucky here in NJ. If it's over 25 years old you can register it as a classic car and there's no inspection.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 07-29-2015, 10:53 PM
Banned

The inspection was free and at my site. All they do is check the VIN, and if it looks operational, they pass it. They never even asked me to sound the horn. And the only reason they check the VIN is that I brought it in from another state.

NC is friendly to old cars. Here the antique class is 35 years or older. If registered as an antique, the local taxing body can only tax based on a $500 value. I just insured it for $20,000. Also, you can run any period plate on the back (no front plate is required here for any car). Just keep the "real" plate in the trunk in case you get pulled over and the cop asks to see it.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:56 AM
Super-Experienced

bird 60 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

On the contrary here. The cars get an inspection that can take up to an hour. They must be 100 per cent road worthy. They check lights, horn, indicators, wipers, brakes, as well as brake hoses, emergency brakes, rust, oil leaks, tire size, if the body is rough they get you to paint it, ball joints, & I can go on & on.
The cut off year for Historic registration here in S.A. is the 31st December 1978.

Chris.....From OZ.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:00 AM
Banned

We still have some freedom here in the States. Well, at least some of them...
Old 07-30-2015, 04:27 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird 60 View Post
On the contrary here. The cars get an inspection that can take up to an hour. They must be 100 per cent road worthy. They check lights, horn, indicators, wipers, brakes, as well as brake hoses, emergency brakes, rust, oil leaks, tire size, if the body is rough they get you to paint it, ball joints, & I can go on & on.
The cut off year for Historic registration here in S.A. is the 31st December 1978.

Chris.....From OZ.
Much the same here except if body has rust it has to be fixed but no requirement to paint it. All cars made before 2000 require a six monthly Warrant of Fitness check - they check tyres, wheel- bearings, wipers, all lights, steering joints etc etc. Costs around $60+.
The good thing is that cars over 40 years old only cost $80 a year to register, regular cars cost $250+ and motorbikes cost $500+ a year!