• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tully
    Experienced
    • Mar 7 2008

Newbie just bought a sq bird

Hello

I just bought a 1960 square bird, white with red/white interior. Car is apart as owner was restoring it but passed away. I'm a shade tree mechanic, just finished a 68 ranchero and working on a 71 Mach 1. But always liked the sq birds.I'll post some pic's as soon as I get the car, it's in Calf and I'm in North Florida. But I do have one question today, how hard is it to add factory type A/C to a 60 that is Non A/C?

Dennis
  • bcomo
    Super-Experienced
    • Sep 23 2005

tully:

Welcome to Squarebirds, and congratulations on your new 60.

If you mean adding stock factory A/C, then it's pretty much impossible to find one in good shape or not.

There are aftermarket A/C systems by "Classic Auto Air" http://www.classicautoair.com/ and others like "Arctic Auto Air" in Ft. Lauderdale http://www.gohtsn.com/article_449.shtml, and "Vintage Air" in San antonio http://www.vintageair.com/contact.asp that can provide a do it yourself install kit.

Here is the link to the Classic Auto Air install in a 58-60 T-Bird:

Here is the link to the Classic Auto Air installation instructions for the 58-60 T-Bird:

Looking forward to seeing photos of your 60.

Hope this helped.
    Bart
    1960 Hard Top/430
    Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• byersmtrco
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 28 2004

Welcome !!!

My parents bought the 60 TB Conv I have brand new (I'm a 1960 model too)

Classic Air does make a good syst. You can get a factory ac vent so it looks stock from the inside.

Once in awhile an orig ac syst will pop up on ebay. You need to beef up the cooling syst to run ac (even w/o it) The radiators in these cars are too small. Compare it to a full size Galaxie or Merc. Same eng 352 (or 390) but their radiators are way bigger. I have a 4 row core, a shroud and a 7 blade fan. Mine does not get hot

Welcome and enjoy the Bird

Comment

• Dan Leavens
        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Dennis also welcome to our site and the many knowledgeable members who enjoy the same passion as you. If I can be of any assistance, in helping you navigate our site please send me an PM e-mail and I will certainly get back to you. On the black " header board" there is a button showing members list. Hit the button and it comes up alphabetically by member. Once you hit the member link, it opens and you will see a send PM ( private message ) to that member. Look forward to your threads and posts.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• ncbird
          Experienced
          • Jan 5 2008

A/C on a non air car

I am in the process of doing this as we speak. As mentioned below I was able to find a decent original A/C dash vent and bezel. This is important for two reasons, one of course is the look but in addition it gets the cold air up higher in the car. I am using a new generation Vintage Air set up that allows true bi-level control to take advantage of the dash vent. The challenge comes on the brackets for the compressor. I am using the set Classic sells but have found that I cant get them to work with the original long shaft water pump. I have had to change to the 61 to 64 pump with associated pulleys. (anyone need a brand new long shaft water pump). I have also upgraded the radiator as mentioned which for me was $600 dollars. I will post pictures when we are done if anyone is interested.
          I know someone here was looking for an A/C bezel to put gauges in and I have an extra that I have 45 bucks in if you still need it.
          Grant
          Grant
          NCbird on the Coast of NC
          "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

Dennis

Welcome to this board you will find that any question you ask many of the T-Bird members will do there best to help you find the answer to your questions Good luck on getting your car on the road

Bob M

Comment

Welcome Dennis,It's kinda funny cause I live about 30 miles south of St Augustine and my bird is for sale.You picked the right site,there are some good knowledgeable people here.Good luck and have furn with you new toy.

Comment

• tully
                Experienced
                • Mar 7 2008

pic's added

here's some pic's as it sets in calf.

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                  Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Dennis thanks for the pixs and now the fun begins on restoring it and bringing it back to it's original spleandour. What exterior paint code have you decided to apply or are you keeping it the original?? As you get to the parts you want area, you can start a thread in the " For Sale / Wanted"
                  section of the site and see if the other members have them. Good Hunting

Thunderbird Registry
                  58HT #33317
                  60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• dgs
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Feb 13 2003

So, you bought Monsterdood's car (the pics match what was shown here anyway)? Did you learn about it here?

Just curious ...
                    DGS (aka salguod)
                    1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                    www.salguod.net

Comment

• tully
                      Experienced
                      • Mar 7 2008

Bird

NO found it on Craig'slist...

Comment

• RustyNCa
                        Super-Experienced
                        • May 31 2007

I knew I had seen it somewhere before....

Comment

• dgs
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Feb 13 2003

Cool. Still good to see it in a new home and that you're here so we can share it with you.
                          DGS (aka salguod)
                          1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
                          www.salguod.net

Comment

• byersmtrco
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Sep 28 2004

Grant,
                            I did find an ac vent locally, but that is a good price (Is that just the face plate?)
                            I might buy yours too.

Thanks,
                            John Byers

Originally posted by ncbird
                            I am in the process of doing this as we speak. As mentioned below I was able to find a decent original A/C dash vent and bezel. This is important for two reasons, one of course is the look but in addition it gets the cold air up higher in the car. I am using a new generation Vintage Air set up that allows true bi-level control to take advantage of the dash vent. The challenge comes on the brackets for the compressor. I am using the set Classic sells but have found that I cant get them to work with the original long shaft water pump. I have had to change to the 61 to 64 pump with associated pulleys. (anyone need a brand new long shaft water pump). I have also upgraded the radiator as mentioned which for me was $600 dollars. I will post pictures when we are done if anyone is interested.
                            I know someone here was looking for an A/C bezel to put gauges in and I have an extra that I have 45 bucks in if you still need it.
                            Grant

Comment

• byersmtrco
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Sep 28 2004

Grant,
                              How much did you want for the w/pump?

Originally posted by ncbird
                              Grant

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎