X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 59thunder
    Experienced
    • Jul 14 2006

1959 Fan Shroud 352

HI all my car seems to run a little hot at idle and traffic 190-210, new engine,, but ok at 45 mile and great on highway

Is this fan shroud the correct one to use 180764768763 on ebay

i do not have a/c and i do have the standard radiator which as been cored and cleaned
    Thanks Tony
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1959 Fan Shroud 352

Hi Tony,

This looks to be identical to the '63 Galaxie fan shroud I bought that Rose has on her. We had to make a slight modification to the bottom piece mounting tabs to get it to mount on the cross beam down there, but that was no big thing. I think they had to be moved somewhat. The fan shroud is a big help in cooling things down in this Texas summer heat. So, yes, that looks like one that should work well on your Tbird. Here are before and after pix of mine. Howard Prout had his chromed, as I recall, and it looks great! I am thinking of having mine chromed also.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by YellowRose; November 29, 2011, 03:19 PM.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Temp ...

190-210 deg. is fine, especially with a fresh engine. The shroud is a good idea, but don't be surprised if it makes little or no difference. I've found that it isn't so much getting air through the radiator as it is getting hot air out of the engine compartment when you're not moving. Just for grins try popping the hood and leave it on the safety latch and see if it makes any difference. Another often overlooked factor is timing. FE's really benefit from more initial timing (12-18 deg.) with total timing around 38 all in between 2500-3000 rpm. A dist. recurve is an inexpensive performance upgrade and might help bring the temp down a little. Mike

Comment

• 59thunder
        Experienced
        • Jul 14 2006

Thanks timing and fuel delivery hopefully is all correct.. Had the engine dyno tunned and all adjusted. Had a 115hp @ the rear wheels
        a long way from the advertised 300hp!

But it has plenty of pulling power.

This is only my second weekend coming up of driving it after the Dyno.
        So i will watch the temp a lttle more

Thanks all

Tony

Comment

• howieinfl
          • May 7 2008

Tony, Are you sure that HP is correct ( 115 hp ) ? Maybe 215 HP to the rear wheels seems more like it ? Usually on rear wheel drive cars the loss through transmission and rear was around 30 % vs gross and Net HP.

My 302 which was rated at 210 HP in 1971 dropped to 140 HP Net in 1972 when going to "Net" ratings" when manufactures changed how they rated HP. My 74 Chevy with a docile 250 CI straight 6 1BBL has 100 hp to rear wheels.

I know for a fact that my 1989 Mustang GT has over 300HP ( gross ) with 225 HP to rear wheels
          ( around a 33% difference ).
          Last edited by howieinfl; November 30, 2011, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Doesn't sound right ...

Sure you weren't spinning the tires on the rollers. They only read true if you have good traction(Read cinched down hard). If you really care I would get a second opinion. In the end the butt-o-meter should tell the story. Mike

Comment

• 59thunder
              Experienced
              • Jul 14 2006

hp

Thanks Guys, was not really worried about hp .When i collected the car i was more worried about the fuel consumption and the flat spot i had
              Flat spot is gone , fuel consumption yet to be tested

Anyhow car seems to have plenty of hp/torque

Thanks Tony

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• RustyNCa
                  Super-Experienced
                  • May 31 2007

Originally posted by gaffney1951
                  190-210 deg. is fine, especially with a fresh engine. The shroud is a good idea, but don't be surprised if it makes little or no difference. I've found that it isn't so much getting air through the radiator as it is getting hot air out of the engine compartment when you're not moving. Just for grins try popping the hood and leave it on the safety latch and see if it makes any difference.
                  Now owning a car without a hood or sides, I can tell you that does make a big difference in engine temp. On our little coupe I only need to run the fan on warmer days. On a cool day, I can't run the fan at all, even sitting in traffic because the engine won't reach 180 degrees.

RustyNCA

Comment

Radiator Shroud

I have a new in the box Dearborn fiberglass radiator shroud that is for a 62-63 Galaxie. It is a $250 item from Dearborn. I never used it because I had a whole new oversized radiator built for my 60 Bird and the dimensions are different. My price is $125 including shipping in the US. Contact me off line at jwa4@cox.net if anyone needs this part.

Comment

• JohnG
                      John
                      • Jul 28 2003

If you still have the original fan, 4 blade, get rid of it and get a 6 blade fan. They were used in some 60s from the factory with AC and on FEs in later Fords (post Squarebirds). Easy change, noticeable improvement.

John
                      1958 Hardtop
                      #8452 TBird Registry
                      http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                      history:
                      http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Howard Prout
                        Experienced
                        • Feb 11 2009

I went the whole way with a Galaxie fan shroud and a seven blade flex fan on my 430- it seems to work. The pictures aren't that great but hopefully you get the idea. It is a close fit. The fan blades are quite aggressive at slow speeds but flatten out at higher speeds, albeit with a definite hum - probably more noticeable in a convertible than a hardtop.
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• byersmtrco
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Sep 28 2004

The shroud works great, but only in combo with a
                          6 or 7 blade fan.
                          You won't see any diff with the 4 blade.
                          One of the pics in all those is mine (the one with the
                          flex fan)

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎